Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Businesses opening in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Long overdue! And the charge must kick in for the first hour. That will encourage locals in D15 to use the bus to get to the Centre (Or walk).

No bus from where I am and then you expect people to walk over and then walk back with whatever shopping they do or dont get?

Patww79 wrote: »
    So locals can't get shopping home but people who live further away can? Away out of that, some bloody notions there.

Maybe hes a taxi driver, instead of parking we should walk over, then pay 10 plus for a taxi :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Patww79 wrote:
    So locals can't get shopping home but people who live further away can? Away out of that, some bloody notions there.

Obviously each situation is different and sometimes people need to drive in order to bring shopping home with them. But a lot of times, people don't need to drive.

Many people live very close to the centre or near a bus stop that brings them to the centre and they choose to drive anyway. A car parking charge will encourage them to use a bus.

The traffic mess of the centre is affecting the experience of shopping in the centre generally and delaying the buses that have to go through it. So something has to be done.

Obviously each situation is different and sometimes people need to drive in order to bring shopping home with them. But a lot of times, people don't need to drive.

Many people live very close to the centre or near a bus stop that brings them to the centre and they choose to drive anyway. A car parking charge will encourage them to use a bus.

The traffic mess of the centre is affecting the experience of shopping in the centre generally and delaying the buses that have to go through it. So something has to be done.

I do agree at times, but you cant predict the weather and what you will need or get, cant say no bother Ill walk home in lashing rain with bags of shopping. Then if no bus, you end up with 10 plus taxi fare(baggage cost extra money) and no saving, so you dont bother buying things you would if no taxi charge

The buses should go in and not around the center, some system where its in, drop, few feet around a roundabout and back out

After that the workers with no traffic management training waving a lollipop dont help.
    Traffic lights throughout the centre, managed by a worker and/or computer, loads leaving say cinema, open all lights to get them moving in one big flow etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Long overdue! And the charge must kick in for the first hour. That will encourage locals in D15 to use the bus to get to the Centre (Or walk).

Liffey Valley here we come.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    Liffey Valley here we come.

Big tesco a bonus and then cosmo buffet if your hungry:cool:

It's actually worth a trip if you want a reasonable lunch or dinner, Blanchardstown has very poor offerings.

jeffk wrote:
    I do agree at times, but you cant predict the weather and what you will need or get, cant say no bother Ill walk home in lashing rain with bags of shopping. Then if no bus, you end up with 10 plus taxi fare(baggage cost extra money) and no saving, so you dont bother buying things you would if no taxi charge

jeffk wrote:
    The buses should go in and not around the center, some system where its in, drop, few feet around a roundabout and back out

jeffk wrote:
    After that the workers with no traffic management training waving a lollipop dont help. Traffic lights throughout the centre, managed by a worker and/or computer, loads leaving say cinema, open all lights to get them moving in one big flow etc

Of course, it isn't a perfect system. And I suspect Dunnes will strongly oppose any hint of a parking charge.

But more car parks and a better layout may improve the traffic slightly, but large numbers of cars need to stop driving up for every visit. A charge will discourage them from taking the car.

A Dublin Bike scheme should be brought in as well for the whole with stations across the area.

Oh and taxis don't charge for baggage.

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's actually worth a trip if you want a reasonable lunch or dinner, Blanchardstown has very poor offerings.

Being saying for YEARS, that we need a food court

Of course, it isn't a perfect system. And I suspect Dunnes will strongly oppose any hint of a parking charge.

But more car parks and a better layout may improve the traffic slightly, but large numbers of cars need to stop driving up for every visit. A charge will discourage them from taking the car.

A Dublin Bike scheme should be brought in as well for the whole with stations across the area.

Oh and taxis don't charge for baggage.

IF paid parking comes in, then they should go with a hour or two free ala The Square. After that then maintenance on the carparks (multistory showing its age) should improve and people taking up two spaces. Wheelchair, parent and baby etc should be cut down (hopefully)

I don't think most people have a choice, over towards Corduff etc there is no bus option and as I said you can't say for sure on weather and what shopping you'll get.

Try to encourage people with zonal car parking, do ones like Halfords or across from Mcdonalds drive thru cheaper and have a covered walkway from car-park to entrance to encourage people to drive outside the main center

Do they have that type of scheme in any suburban area of Dublin? I thought it was just around city centre?

I remember they use to, they are not meant to more like, who knows what buttons they press when you get in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

jeffk wrote: »
    ...people taking up two spaces. Wheelchair, parent and baby etc should be cut down (hopefully) ...

..?

Maybe ban cars and force everyone to cycle...

beauf wrote: »
    ..?

Maybe ban cars and force everyone to cycle...

People taking up two spaces
    Parking in disability parking with no permit
    Parking in parent and baby with no kids

I cycle as well as drive, wouldn't trust locking my bike up and then you'd have some job getting the shopping home

• Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You wont see parking charges for several reasons.

- Demand doesn't warrant it
    - Retailer tenants who are having a tough enough time in the online age won't stand for it
    - The large scale works proposed in the red mall will be causing so much disruption in the medium term, that strategically parking charges would be the last thing to heap on top of that
    - The power of Dunnes
    - As mentioned - Liffey Valley
    - most importantly, Westend Retail Park is operated entirely separate to the Centre and the other retail parks, they would be under no obligation to bring in charges, which would result in a huge traffic mess.

On a side note, why is Westend so called?? Its on the south eastern corner flank of the complex? And why does it have the worst laid out carpark in the western world??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I don't think those patent and child spaces are legally binding like a disabled one. They're just a suggestion.

jeffk wrote: »
    People taking up two spaces
    Parking in disability parking with no permit
    Parking in parent and baby with no kids

I cycle as well as drive, wouldn't trust locking my bike up and then you'd have some job getting the shopping home

Lol. You made it sound like you wanted those spaces removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

That's not how the big funds work...
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    You wont see parking charges for several reasons.

- Demand doesn't warrant it
    Not sure what that means. It would be a revenue generating initiative from Blackstone, nothing to do with demand
    - Retailer tenants who are having a tough enough time in the online age won't stand for it
    There is very little they could do to stop it
    - The large scale works proposed in the red mall will be causing so much disruption in the medium term, that strategically parking charges would be the last thing to heap on top of that
    True so they probably wouldn't be introduced until all works are completed (3-5 years)
    - The power of Dunnes
    What power? They could object but would be powerless to prevent it really. Also, Blackstone has a $40 billion cap, it's not like they are a minnow in thrall to Dunnes
    - As mentioned - Liffey Valley
    If the two biggest SCs in the country have paid parking you can bet that Hines would also be introducing it to Liffey Valley. These funds only care about the bottom line, their goal is not to keep their tenants happy
    - most importantly, Westend Retail Park is operated entirely separate to the Centre and the other retail parks, they would be under no obligation to bring in charges, which would result in a huge traffic mess.
    No obligation, but again Westend is owned by Deutsche. Do you think they would turn down the opportunity to bring in paid parking out of the goodness of their heart?

On a side note, why is Westend so called?? Its on the south eastern corner flank of the complex? And why does it have the worst laid out carpark in the western world??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tenants can leave. Empty units are not getting filled quickly elsewhere, it'd be madness to deliberately piss off a large group of tenants in a falling in-store sales market.

jeffk wrote:
    IF paid parking comes in, then they should go with a hour or two free ala The Square. After that then maintenance on the carparks (multistory showing its age) should improve and people taking up two spaces. Wheelchair, parent and baby etc should be cut down (hopefully)

The charge has to kick in straight away so as to discourage locals from using their car to get to the centre when they don't have to.

Otherwise don't even bother bringing a charge in.

Larbre34 wrote:
    - Demand doesn't warrant it - Retailer tenants who are having a tough enough time in the online age won't stand for it - The large scale works proposed in the red mall will be causing so much disruption in the medium term, that strategically parking charges would be the last thing to heap on top of that - The power of Dunnes - As mentioned - Liffey Valley - most importantly, Westend Retail Park is operated entirely separate to the Centre and the other retail parks, they would be under no obligation to bring in charges, which would result in a huge traffic mess.

Well the demand part isn't accurate. The centre is full of traffic all weekend and many evenings.

Westend would have to come on board with the charge. As for Liffey Valley, I can't see it happening. I think locals will alter their behaviour and use the bus more frequently to get to the centre or walk/cycle for free.

Less traffic at the centre will improve the shopping experience for everyone. The charge is a necessary deterrent for people sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Does anyone know where this rumour of pay parking originated and if there's any validity to it?

• Advertisement

Well the demand part isn't accurate. The centre is full of traffic all weekend and many evenings.

Westend would have to come on board with the charge. As for Liffey Valley, I can't see it happening. I think locals will alter their behaviour and use the bus more frequently to get to the centre or walk/cycle for free.

Less traffic at the centre will improve the shopping experience for everyone. The charge is a necessary deterrent for people sadly.

I think it's a stretch to think people will use the bus rather than drive elsewhere, it's just not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

It would be well and good if the bus service was reliable from all parts of the area but its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Does anyone know where this rumour of pay parking originated and if there's any validity to it?
    A friend of mine has a a shop in the centre and it was brought up at a centre management meeting

Hurrache wrote:
    I think it's a stretch to think people will use the bus rather than drive elsewhere, it's just not going to happen.

Again the car park charge will focus the mind and help people change their behaviour.

Getting more people to use the bus and/or walk/cycle to the centre is good thing!

The question won't be will be make people not bring their cars. Because they won't.

The question will be will they avoid the shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

from a random post on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

If I didn’t need the car for the big shop and it was light shopping I’d park in a Coolmine and walk through. If I had to pay to do the weekly big shop in Dunnes I’d avoid it and go to Dunnes Ongar

Again the car park charge will focus the mind and help people change their behaviour.

beauf points out the actual affect it will have.
    beauf wrote: »
    The question will be will they avoid the shopping centre.

Hurrache wrote:
    beauf points out the actual affect it will have.

If the centre is free of traffic, it will encourage more people to take a trip to the centre, not less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If I had to pay for parking I'd go to the city centre on the train instead. Doubt I'd be the only person making that choice.

Advertisement