Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Businesses opening in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd just pay for the parking. Be more inclined to go if it was a bit quieter because of it too, I avoid the place like the plague these days unless I have a weekday off work and go to by 9:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭cython

Well the demand part isn't accurate. The centre is full of traffic all weekend and many evenings.
    It may be full of traffic, but there can be an abundance of spaces at the same time - a crappy traffic flow and (mis)management does not indicate demand.
    Westend would have to come on board with the charge. As for Liffey Valley, I can't see it happening. I think locals will alter their behaviour and use the bus more frequently to get to the centre or walk/cycle for free.
    Those with no bus option, and outside walking distance, or during particularly inclement weather, will definitely go elsewhere.
    Less traffic at the centre will improve the shopping experience for everyone. The charge is a necessary deterrent for people sadly.
    Less people will just drag it further down though, and there's no reason to think people will change their mode of transport. Look at the traffic problems in and out of Dundrum Centre at times with its paid parking. Many of these people could go to a Luas P+R further out and get a Luas in for a similar cost, but they sit in traffic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well the demand part isn't accurate. The centre is full of traffic all weekend and many evenings.

Westend would have to come on board with the charge. As for Liffey Valley, I can't see it happening. I think locals will alter their behaviour and use the bus more frequently to get to the centre or walk/cycle for free.

Less traffic at the centre will improve the shopping experience for everyone. The charge is a necessary deterrent for people sadly.

No locals will not, especially when they plan to use their car to carry their purchases. Irish people are as lazy as feck.

Yes the place is full at the weekend, i dont expect the tenants to wear a big risk on that trade, let alone turning people off during the week as well, when they struggle to break even on being open at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If the centre is free of traffic, it will encourage more people to take a trip to the centre, not less.

It won't be free of traffic. Even if as I suspect most of the traffic at the weekends and late night is from out of the area. It sits on the main route in and out of most of D15. Most locals will have to pass it (or one of the back roads to it) to get somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

L1011 wrote:
    If I had to pay for parking I'd go to the city centre on the train instead. Doubt I'd be the only person making that choice.

That would be more expensive than a 2 euro an hour car park charge.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote:
    Yes the place is full at the weekend, i dont expect the tenants to wear a big risk on that trade, let alone turning people off during the week as well, when they struggle to break even on being open at all.

Good point. Perhaps make parking free Monday to Wednesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That would be more expensive than a 2 euro an hour car park charge.

I've a taxsaver ticket, as do a huge proportion of residents in the centres natural catchment area. Take a look at the % of the thousands a day at Coolmine, Clonsilla etc with their photo on their Leap card. So it's effectively free.

Even for those without, due to the price changes in December, you'd be back in the black once hour 3 starts.

Good point. Perhaps make parking free Monday to Wednesday?

Maybe, but that's a matter for the management and their tenants.

I don't see any justification for charging at anytime, not in this retail climate. The cost of pay parking infrastructure will be burdened by the tenants. The place will still be busy when its busy and quiet when its quiet, only when those folk who arent local or arent aware of the charge first encounter it, they'll keep it in mind the next time when it comes to picking a destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

If the Blanch centre becomes the centre of the bus network in d15 in the BusConnects plan, lots of people are going to use it as a free all-day park and ride. They can't have that.

If the Blanch centre becomes the centre of the bus network in d15 in the BusConnects plan, lots of people are going to use it as a free all-day park and ride. They can't have that.

They already patrol for long staying chancers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Do they really? Is that a recent thing? I've seen many people park in the car park at Smyths/TK Maxx end and head to the bus stop in the mornings, it's like an unofficial park and ride already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Larbre34 wrote: »

Do they? How do they distinguish a park and ride car from a staff member's car?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

I don't think they do, they only look for cars parked in disabled spots without a permit and cars parked in spaces that aren't car parking spaces such as the bus bays outside the library and leisureplex.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

If you have more than 1 person going to the centre, parking charges will be cheaper than the bus fares and you are going door-to-door in the comfort of your own vehicle.
    Personally I don't see a parking charge changing anything except making somebody rich richer.

Also, there is zero evidence so far that a charge is due to be introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Therapie clinic opening on Main St, Blanchardstown between Insomnia and Macari's

Duplicate

Gaspode wrote:
    If you have more than 1 person going to the centre, parking charges will be cheaper than the bus fares and you are going door-to-door in the comfort of your own vehicle. Personally I don't see a parking charge changing anything except making somebody rich richer.

The comfort of your vehicle thing needs to be challenged. Being stuck for 45 minutes trying to get out of one the car parks in December is not comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The comfort of your vehicle thing needs to be challenged. Being stuck for 45 minutes trying to get out of one the car parks in December is not comfortable.

45 minutes in your own car is more comfortable to a lot of people than any amount of time on a bus.

Patww79 wrote:
    45 minutes in your own car is more comfortable to a lot of people than any amount of time on a bus.

It might seem that way if you've been driving everywhere for years and years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

If you go through the centre on the bus regularly at rush hour, you’d easily take 45 minutes in your own car over the bus. It took me 30 minutes to get in and out of the centre on the bus one evening last month. The bus didn’t even go into the centre on Friday because the traffic was so bad. When it’s standung room only, a car is a better option.

• Advertisement

If you go through the centre on the bus regularly at rush hour, you’d easily take 45 minutes in your own car over the bus. It took me 30 minutes to get in and out of the centre on the bus one evening last month. The bus didn’t even go into the centre on Friday because the traffic was so bad. When it’s standung room only, a car is a better option.

Surely the solution to this is for less people to use their car to get to the centre. Also strict enforcement of the bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Surely the solution to this is for less people to use their car to get to the centre. Also strict enforcement of the bus lanes.

Enforcement of the bus lanes would be a great start, but that’s not going to happen. I complained about the situation and the centre management sent a generic ‘sorry about that’ reply. They don’t care.

Enforcement of the bus lanes would be a great start, but that’s not going to happen. I complained about the situation and the centre management sent a generic ‘sorry about that’ reply. They don’t care.

It's very disappointing and I don't know whether it's private land so the Gardai can't enforce it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cycle then you avoid both car and bus problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭bkeane

They are not bus lanes, no times up so anyone can use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

I'd pick it over being stuck for 45 mins on a bus though... I can walk to the centre. My kids may moan but we could do it so it's not a huge problem. If it was pouring rain though I'd choose the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Why doesn't the centre get a mini bus and work out a route around the area

Shops could sponsor it and get their logo on it
    Charge I dunno a euro
    Charge more and double up as a ticket into a draw for voucher or discount in a so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

Anyone know whats going in at the old Duffys TV shop in Blanch Village - lots of builders there this morning.

beauf wrote: »

Cycle then you avoid both car and bus problems.

That's fine if you're shopping for one or two small or light things but if you're making multiple purchases of not so light things, groceries etc a bus or bike is less preferable to a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

Another charity shop

Advertisement