Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Businesses opening in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

Anyone know , what's happening with the old xtravision premises in the centre ?

There's works going on and passing by it yesterday, it looks as if two shops are going to open up there .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

Sushi restaurant, Musushi

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

thomasj wrote: »
    Anyone know , what's happening with the old xtravision premises in the centre ?

There's works going on and passing by it yesterday, it looks as if two shops are going to open up there .

Posted in here I think - some Sushi place or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ongarboy wrote: »
    That's fine if you're shopping for one or two small or light things but if you're making multiple purchases of not so light things, groceries etc a bus or bike is less preferable to a car.
    Unfortunately people drive even if they are only shopping for light things.

For those that never cycle they may have a perception that it's a dangerous activity and there is constant rain. Both are inaccurate. I feel lucky that I've used a bike to get around since I was a kid (cycled to secondary school, college and work) so it's a habit.
    Today I'll be getting the train to Connolly and then cycling to St Stephens Green. On the way home I'll cycle to Broombridge (to exchange a Qwertee tshirt order) and then I'll get cycle or get the train back to Coolmine. I won't think twice about it because it's my mindset. There's a lot of work to convert those of a different mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I've a biking mindset, but if I'm going to the centre with the family I'm never going to cycle, or get a bus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

daymobrew wrote: »

For those that never cycle they may have a perception that it's a dangerous activity and there is constant rain. Both are inaccurate. I feel lucky that I've used a bike to get around since I was a kid (cycled to secondary school, college and work) so it's a habit.
    Today I'll be getting the train to Connolly and then cycling to St Stephens Green. On the way home I'll cycle to Broombridge (to exchange a Qwertee tshirt order) and then I'll get cycle or get the train back to Coolmine. I won't think twice about it because it's my mindset. There's a lot of work to convert those of a different mindset.

It's not for everyone and cyclists will just need to bend their heads around that.

Hurrache wrote: »
    I've a biking mindset, but if I'm going to the centre with the family I'm never going to cycle, or get a bus.
    I'm mostly the same but we (2 adults + 2 kids) have often cycled to the centre, primarily when going to the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

daymobrew wrote: »

You probably won't cycle in the worst of the weather, and certainly 90% of cyclists disappear in storms and snow - that means that other commuting options have to be able to cope with the absence of cyclists from the road.

From a policy perspective, handing over costly parts of the infrastructure to cyclists for commuting purposes does not make sense therefore if your objective is to reduce congestion.

If you have other objectives such as improving health, climate change mitigation etc., then some measures to improve cycling infrastructure are necessary, but then, public transport meets some of those too.

I have no issue with cycling or cyclists, however, I do want to see the most productive use of scarce resources.

As for access to Blanchardstown Centre, improving pedestrian access via Springlawn or Summerfield, would do more to reduce congestion than anything else. Parking restrictions in those estates would have to be also introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

blanch152 wrote:
    You probably won't cycle in the worst of the weather, and certainly 90% of cyclists disappear in storms and snow - that means that other commuting options have to be able to cope with the absence of cyclists from the road.

blanch152 wrote:
    From a policy perspective, handing over costly parts of the infrastructure to cyclists for commuting purposes does not make sense therefore if your objective is to reduce congestion.

blanch152 wrote:
    As for access to Blanchardstown Centre, improving pedestrian access via Springlawn or Summerfield, would do more to reduce congestion than anything else. Parking restrictions in those estates would have to be also introduced.

Our weather is rarely extreme. Nonsense argument.

From a policy perspective it makes total sense to increase cycle space so as to encourage more people to cycle. It reduces traffic and is good for the environment. It's also good for the person's health. There aren't any disadvantages to cycling.

Hurrache wrote:

Never?

Nice to see an open mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Our weather is rarely extreme. Nonsense argument.

From a policy perspective it makes total sense to increase cycle space so as to encourage more people to cycle. It reduces traffic and is good for the environment. It's also good for the person's health. There aren't any disadvantages to cycling.

There was no nonsense in my post. In fact, I made all of the points you made.

The numbers cycling in the Dublin commute were down this morning because of the weather. This happens every winter. Yes, they will be up again tomorrow if it is dry. What that means from a policy perspective that seeks to manage a congested commute is that the policy options other than cycling must be able to cope with an influx of former cyclists whenever there is bad weather. To me, that means public transport first, even at the expense of cyclists.

Anyway, this is the wrong thread so I won't talk anymore about cycling.

blanch152 wrote:
    The numbers cycling in the Dublin commute were down this morning because of the weather. This happens every winter. Yes, they will be up again tomorrow if it is dry. What that means from a policy perspective that seeks to manage a congested commute is that the policy options other than cycling must be able to cope with an influx of former cyclists whenever there is bad weather. To me, that means public transport first, even at the expense of cyclists.

Focus on public transport of course, but cycling needs much more expenditure and you made out that it's getting enough money and it shouldn't get any more. Dedicated cycle lanes and more people cycling is the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Never?

Nice to see an open mind.

Yes, never. I've ran over and back, cycled alone. But when I go with my family it's not something I'll be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I cycled over to lidl a few times and locked up my bike, then I got a bike worth a whole lot more and stopped.

I dont cycle anywhere and lock my bike(seems no matter what price the lock if they want the bike they take it), but would love to be able to cycle the centre knowing there is facilities to lock the bike safely

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

This thread is supposed to be about new businesses, not transport. Let's get back on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Thankfully it was only temporary as it's open again as I passed it a few minutes ago. The adjoining Swords Garden Chinese takeaway is gone though but has been replaced with a combined Chinese/ Fish and chips takeaway simply called Diner. Glad to see a chipper in Ongar again ...as long as I can be disciplined as to how often I visit it!!!

http://www.thejournal.ie/fsai-food-closures-cockroach-4329903-Nov2018/

Seems it was closed down for a period by the food safety authority for poor cleanliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/donut-effect-eateries-line-up-to-join-krispy-kreme-in-blanch-1.3695180?mode=amp

Musashi and Pita Pit confirmed as the other 2 tenants joining Krispy Kreme and Esquires Coffee in that development in Blanch.

Pita Pit sounds promising!

https://pitapitusa.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

Pita Pit sounds promising!

https://pitapitusa.com

Looks good, at least a bit of variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Woeful amount of greenery on those. Hopefully it's like subway where you can pick and choose what goes on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got one beside my office. You can pick and choose, they only have a small subset of "set" items. Its not cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I hope they don't put Marge Simpson and her pretzels out of business again :)

Damn you Helen Lovejoy and Agnes Skinner....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Patww79 wrote: »
    Woeful amount of greenery on those. Hopefully it's like subway where you can pick and choose what goes on it.

Blanch Centre planning application FW18A/0168 which sounds a bit like a food court (9 cafe/restaurant units).
    The Blue Mall is McDonalds/Eddie Rockets side.
    Unit 309 is Veritas.
    Taxi rank to be moved over to Leisureplex car park.

Documents not online yet (21 Nov).
    The demolition of 369 sq.m of existing floorspace to provide for an extension of the Blue Mall over two levels, with plant at roof level, and an internal mall plaza area, resulting in an additional GFA of 4,559 sq.m. The extension includes the provision of 9 no. café/restaurant units ranging in size from 105 sq.m to 827 sq.m, provision of a retail unit with a GFA of 63 sq.m (to provide for the relocation of Unit 309) and associated signage zones. A new Blue Mall entrance comprising a large entrance portico, glass canopy and centre signage which is flanked on either side by the proposed café/restaurant units and terraces with outdoor seating areas. A public plaza containing seating and public art/sculpture, landscaping and ancillary improvement works. The re-alignment of the northern lane of Road D, the provision of new pedestrian crossings and the upgrade of the existing pedestrian crossing at the Blue Mall entrance to include shared surfaces on Road D and on the slip road south of Road D. The reconfiguration of part of the existing Leisureplex car park to incorporate a proposed taxi stacking area to provide for the relocation of the existing taxi rank. The proposal includes associated changes to car parking areas, provision of 28 no. additional bicycle parking spaces, an ESB double substation and switchroom, lighting, landscaping, site development and ancillary works.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Hope they cut those dame bushes in the carpark,

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

It's about time a food court was opened.

glossy wrote: »
    Hope they cut those dame bushes in the carpark,
    Agreed, especially over in Retail Park 3 (Lifestyle, Woodies, Smyths etc). It's hard to see over them when in a car. I emailed management a few years ago but nothing was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

It's not a food court, all restaurants will have their own separate seating areas. But the penny has dropped that Food is the best way of keeping Shopping Centres afloat and viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

Staff in the Galway Roast this morning were saying it is closing today, will reopen soon under a new name and owners apparently.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Aw that's a shame. Having said that, I never made it in to try it out so I can't complain about it closing really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Justin10

I went twice, both times it was very busy, second time they strangely weren't serving food.

Advertisement