Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with neighbours

Options
  • 31-07-2015 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm having a number of issues with neighbours who moved into the apartment building a number of months back. They might sound trivial but it's adding unnecessary stress to my life. The main door into the building is constantly being left open meaning that anyone can walk in, obviously compromising the security of the building. Slamming that door has also become a favourite pastime of theirs. Another popular thing for them to do is have stupidly loud conversations at 12am+ whilst walking past my bedroom door (I have explained to them before that the room is a bedroom and I can hear them going by).

I've tried talking to them a number of times but it goes in one ear and out the other. Complaints to the landlord have also gone unheard. I know this is probably standard stuff but anything else I can/should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Stupid question but how are they walking past your bedroom door? Or is it that your bedroom door is close to the front door of your apartment and you can hear them?

Have you complained to your own landlord or their landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 concernedten

Sorry it's the same apartment building so same landlord. Neighbours are living above me. As for the door, it's a bit of an odd set up but the bedroom seems to have been used as a different room in the past so there is a door from the landing that leads in to it. The door is never used though.

Sorry it's the same apartment building so same landlord. Neighbours are living above me. As for the door, it's a bit of an odd set up but the bedroom seems to have been used as a different room in the past so there is a door from the landing that leads in to it. The door is never used though.

If they continue as they have you should start making detailed notes, i.e. times, dates, nature of disturbance, etc. and notify the landlord of each incident. The landlord has an obligation to not allow the tenants to act in an anti-social manner. A one-off disturbance is okay, but persistent acts constitute anti-social behaviour under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004, which you can open a dispute as a third party for the landlord not fulfilling his obligations. Mention this to him next time he shrugs it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Maybe its time to move-on ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

This layout sounds like it doesnt comply with Planning Regulations, Building Regulations or Housing Regulations?

• Advertisement

If they continue as they have you should start making detailed notes, i.e. times, dates, nature of disturbance, etc. and notify the landlord of each incident. The landlord has an obligation to not allow the tenants to act in an anti-social manner. A one-off disturbance is okay, but persistent acts constitute anti-social behaviour under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004, which you can open a dispute as a third party for the landlord not fulfilling his obligations. Mention this to him next time he shrugs it off.

I have made the odd note but haven't kept a full log of everything. Thanks for the tip though.
    Maybe its time to move-on ?

Why should I be the one to suffer? Never had any issues with the previous neighbours and I'm happy with my apartment and the area I'm living in.

kceire wrote: »
    This layout sounds like it doesnt comply with Planning Regulations, Building Regulations or Housing Regulations?

Doesn't surprise me to be honest as looking at the PRTB database I can see that the number of bedrooms/bed spaces is totally inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Could the main door have some sort of automatic closer put on it?

Is it possible that they're leaving it open deliberately to allow customer access (drug, sex, whatever) - if so, make sure the LL understands the activity that's going on, and find a way to get the gardai involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Recommend logging your complaint straight away with the PRTB. These things can take a while to get processed. The sooner you get wheels in motion the better!!!:)

Recommend logging your complaint straight away with the PRTB. These things can take a while to get processed. The sooner you get wheels in motion the better!!!:)

You have to prove persistent disturbances to comply with a complaint of anti social behaviour. Trying to sort it with the landlord while you build evidence is the first step.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

You have to prove persistent disturbances to comply with a complaint of anti social behaviour. Trying to sort it with the landlord while you build evidence is the first step.

I've tried talking to them a number of times but it goes in one ear and out the other. Complaints to the landlord have also gone unheard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I wouldn't normally recommend a tenant to contact the management agent directly but if you have the same landlord then asking them to contact them won't achieve anything. There should be details of the management company or management agent in a common area. The front door being left open is a massive security issue for all residents in the block.

athtrasna wrote: »
    I wouldn't normally recommend a tenant to contact the management agent directly but if you have the same landlord then asking them to contact them won't achieve anything. There should be details of the management company or management agent in a common area. The front door being left open is a massive security issue for all residents in the block.

From the layout of the building and the fact that it's the same landlord I'm guessing it's a converted house, rather than a block of flats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

From the layout of the building and the fact that it's the same landlord I'm guessing it's a converted house, rather than a block of flats.

OP referred to an apartment building, apartments tend to be purpose built with converted houses being referred to as flats?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Given that there appears to be a 'dead door' I cant imagine they're custom built apartments. I'd say the op was rented an 'apartment ' but got a flat if u know what I mean. There's not a huge deal u can do about them being noisy on the stairs to be honest given that the main problem in that regard is the fact they're basically in your hall yet to them they're in the common area so even the normally most acceptable of noise is too loud cause its in effect outside your bedroom door. Not really their fault.

The main door is what you should be making the biggest deal of. Tell the landlord u found a homeless guy camped out on the landing a few mornings and he ll soon take heed.

athtrasna wrote: »
    OP referred to an apartment building, apartments tend to be purpose built with converted houses being referred to as flats?

Yeah but the door direct to the bedroom sounds more like a converted house. Guess the OP will have to clear it up.

Advertisement