Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Washing Machine Warranty Issue

Options
  • 31-07-2015 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

I bought a new Samsung washing machine on Saturday. It was delivered and setup on Tuesday. Today I went to the samsung website to get the 5 year parts and labour warranty.(which is the reason I bought this washer)

When I tried to sign up for the warranty it ends up that it is outside of the date allowable because the machine has to be bought before June 30.

Is there anything I can do in this case? The shop has apologised and offered 40 euro for my troubles. This doesn't do much for me if the machine breaks down in future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The shop are not going to be able to force Samsung to give the extended warranty, but as the product isn't as described (due to that warranty not being there) you should be able to return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Depends if the shop was very clear on 5 year warranty or if its a sticker with small terms and conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

If there is a manufacturing fault at any time you can make a consumer law claim for up to 6 years under EU law

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Aimead

seanaway wrote: »
    If there is a manufacturing fault at any time you can make a consumer law claim for up to 6 years under EU law
    Irish law has stronger protections. The phrasing is that goods must be of merchantable quality and fit for their intended purpose.

If the machine breaks down after, say, 2 years then the question (as far as Irish law is concerned) is whether it can be considered reasonable that the machine being used for its intended purpose in line with manufacturer’s guidelines should only last two years. I’d very much doubt any small claims court, baring misuse of the machine, would see it any differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

TheDriver wrote: »
    Depends if the shop was very clear on 5 year warranty or if its a sticker with small terms and conditions

Both...

Salesman pointed it out for having a 5 year parts and labour warranty - as opposed to another brand just having a 2/3 year parts warranty.

Of course when the machine is home the sticker mentions the date in small print at the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

L1011 wrote: »
    The shop are not going to be able to force Samsung to give the extended warranty, but as the product isn't as described (due to that warranty not being there) you should be able to return it.

Can it be returned even though it has been used already?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Aimead

Can it be returned even though it has been used already?
    Yes. Goods must be as described, and if your purchase was influenced by the 5-year warranty claim then the goods were not ‘as described’. You’ll likely have to fight with them, but in the end they’ll lose in small claims court.

See here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

Relevant part:
    Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

Advertisement