Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Router

• 31-07-2015 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My business has grown a bit recently and we're finding that the existing router we have is probably reaching the limits of its throughput.

I currently have a:

50Mbps UPC business feed => Cisco EPC3295 in bridge mode => Linksys EA4500 => TP Link SG2424 24 port gig switch

I started with 4 devices and now realise that there's 36 devices - PCs, phones on wifi, VOIP deskphones, file server (diskstation), a few printers

So I'm looking for a router with:

100M link to Modem (can be Gig)
    Gig E link to switch
    Wireless B/G/N
    All the usual features - no need for media server etc.

No specific security requirements - ie no need for router with built in commercial grade firewall

Essentially, the consumer version router we have (EA4500) is not longer fit for purpose!

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

That router is rated up to 450Mbps in terms of routing. Where exactly is the problem, or what the symptoms you're seeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Normal internet traffic is fine, we have 12 VOIP desk phones (Polycom VVX400) and we get reports of the people at the other end of the call saying we sound "distant" or that it breaks up a bit.

I guess the router we have is a fine consumer model (ie at home with 10 or so devices) but with 36 active devices it might be pushing its limits in terms of memory?

Patrickof wrote: »
    Normal internet traffic is fine, we have 12 VOIP desk phones (Polycom VVX400) and we get reports of the people at the other end of the call saying we sound "distant" or that it breaks up a bit.

I guess the router we have is a fine consumer model (ie at home with 10 or so devices) but with 36 active devices it might be pushing its limits in terms of memory?

Doubt it. What sort of QOS have you set up? Is the 50mb at the start a typo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

No, the 50Mb is the DL, 5Mb on the UL.

I've only set prioritization for the IP address of the phones.

Haven't defined any QoS for SIP of anything like that.

It might also be worth looking at the DL speed from UPC, might get that bumped up.

When I access the Mgt interface of the router, it's very slow, hence I'm thinking towards possible memory/processing power on the box.

Patrickof wrote: »
    No, the 50Mb is the DL, 5Mb on the UL.

I've only set prioritization for the IP address of the phones.

Haven't defined any QoS for SIP of anything like that.

It might also be worth looking at the DL speed from UPC, might get that bumped up.

When I access the Mgt interface of the router, it's very slow, hence I'm thinking towards possible memory/processing power on the box.

What you describe is the signs of packet loss on a voice call, which is probably a bandwidth issue on your end. The most likely explanation is the download/upload being maxed out by another device or devices. I would guess that upping the upload and download would help greatly with it although it may still happen.

If you are looking for a replacement, I've been very impressed with the Asus line of routers(top of the range). Dual Wan is a pretty decent solution if you can get a good 3G signal there, their QOS implementation is bang on and would require little configuration for SIP phones. In general the high end ones are very fast and very capable, easily able to handle 30+ devices. Complete overkill for most homes though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Just buy yourselves a Mikrotik router and you'll notice a serious difference to your connection. The packets per second count is crazy. Cheap as chips too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CPU1: Marvell 88F6282 (1.2 GHz)
    FLA1: 128 MiB (Hynix H27U1G8F2BTR-BC)
    RAM1: 128 MiB (Hynix H5PS1G63EFR-S6C)

A 6-800Mhz chip would route that office no problem, its not the linksys.

First thing you should do is strap a fan to the cisco. I cant iterate this strongly enough. The 3925 has horrible stability issues when passively cooled that disappear when a small fan is added.

Advertisement