Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddlebox ad with music

Options
  • 31-07-2015 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure how long the ads have been on the site but that Toddlebox ad with its blasting music is very disconcerting.

Is there a way to have it muted as standard when it loads and only play audio if it's rolled over?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

There shouldn't be any audio ads at all, can you get the click through URL and a screenshot if it appears again please? We need these (or the URL at least) to be able to block it via Google. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Is that what it was? I'd to close about ten tabs earlier because there was some annoying music coming from one of them and I couldn't find it. Extremely irritating.

I just had some background music play at me myself now - I've so many tabs open though it was gone before I could find it. I'll keep an ear out.

Unfortunately some advertisers deliberately label their ads incorrectly so that they will get through to more sites.

I have it nabbed and have asked for it to be removed.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

FYI, if you're using Chrome, any tab that's playing audio has a little speaker icon on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I've just re-enabled Adblock on Boards (after having it disabled for a week or so as a test after disabling it months ago because of obnoxious flash ads), due to a UPC ad playing audio.

This is your third strike now, lads. I'm keeping Adblock enabled for good now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Likewise, I'm using uBlock and choosing not to download parts of the page. The advertising on boards used to be non intrusive, but not any more.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

just means more ads for the rest of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Yep, just had that ad (at an obnoxiously loud volume) blaring out just when I read a post on the maths forum. Frightened the sh1te out of me as I'd headphones on, nothing else playing and wasn't expecting something to start blaring at me. Not cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

We don't want noisy ads either, we will nuke with extreme prejudice any of these ads that are reported to us.

We don't take these ads on, they are served out via Google. Their model is set up to protect the advertiser, not the viewer and so they take no action against people who break their rules by putting things in the wrong categories so that the only people who get harassed by these feckin things are you the reader and us, the site using their service.

We have consistently shown that our policy for years has been to nuke these things as soon as we have the necessary information to do so folks, no one hates these things more than us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Cool, what's the best thing to report such ads, in this Feedback forum? I totally get that Boards needs ad revenue to cover its (not insubstantial) overheads. I didn't realise (until reading this thread) that it's just rogue advertisers that misrepresent their wares (which generally is self-defeating as if it annoys potential customers, not a good start to making a sale).

Yes if you can post the click through URL and a screenshot here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056855938 that would be very helpful, thanks.

Advertisement