Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to plant a large tree in front garden.

Options
  • 31-07-2015 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭

I am trying to decide on a nice large tree to plant in front of my house. Oak have nice big bendy branches but sycamore and beech have nice autumn colours. I would only have room for one large tree really because i think a circle of trees may take up too much space. Any ideas or advice on here? I've seen maple before to give a great variation of colour throughout the year.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

How big is your front garden? Just be conscious that planting a large tree within reaching distance of your house can void your house insurance if the tree causes damage down the line so check with your policy holder prior to planting.

Also consider any damage roots might do to underground mains and waste pipes and electrical cables. For a tree as large as an Oak whatever you see above ground is matched by a root system underground - something to consider.

If you tick all the boxes above then maybe consider a Judas Tree (Cercis siliquastrum). Lovely pink/purple colours in spring/summer. Grow to between 12 and 15 metres and up to 10m wide.

judas-tree.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭straight

I was thinking of something more traditional and big like the trees you see around large old houses. I've loads of room, will be able to keep it at least 100 - 150 feet from the house. Is there certain types of maple that give better autumnal colours for longer periods?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I just planted a Horse-chestnut sapling I grew from a conker that came off a 130 year old parent tree in my parent's garden. Generational. Should look lovely for my grandchildren because I'll be long gone before it's big.

The field maple (Acer campestre) goes a lovely yellow colour but can vary in size a good bit. Some peak at 15m others as high as 25m.

shapeimage_3.png

The Japanese maple (Acer cappadocicum) is the most colourful maple but might not be traditional enough for you.

84206-bigthumbnail.jpg

Trees originating from round here that are traditional by our standards tend not to be as colourful because we don't get the range of temperatures other climates get which trees adapted to over millennia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

straight wrote: »
    I was thinking of something more traditional and big like the trees you see around large old houses. I've loads of room, will be able to keep it at least 100 - 150 feet from the house. Is there certain types of maple that give better autumnal colours for longer periods?

Acer rubrum has nice red colour in autumn. I can't plant it because there are horses nearby. Even common Maples are supposed to be very bad for horses if they are eaten. The biggest tree I have planted for autumn colour is zelkova serrata and it already looks good because of the shape of the branches. I also planted liquidambar styraciflua for autumn colour but it does not grow very big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭cannotcope

Amelanchier lamarckii, also called a snowy mespilus,is a lovely tree but i am not sure if you would call it large. A friend of mine has one in a smallish garden. It has green leaves in spring then a beautiful blossom in April/May and then it has berries. In the autumn the leaves turn a lovely dark red and finally drop off.

Note it is an acid lover and so needs ericaceous compost and feed although the link above says acid or neutral. My friend uses ericaceous compost

Black cherry plum is a lovely tree too. 8 to 12 meters high

I think the canadian maple give a lot of different colour too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How about a copper beech? There used be a gorgeous one in Kilkenny Castle Park, its had to be cut down but it was beautiful in its prime!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,648 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Even an ordinary Beech tree has a beautiful spreading shape, with delicate green leaf in Spring and brown in Autumn, (that cling all winter), with spiky brown seed-cases that sometimes contain edible nuts; and you can grow bluebells around the base of it, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Would you consider a weeping beech?
    We have one and it is stunning all year around -everyone comments on it.
    Looks really beautiful throughout autumn and winter when other trees lose their leaves.

It was expensive, we bought it as a mature tree- worth every penny though. 13 years later it is a spectacular centrepiece in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cumin

American Sweetgum grows conically. It has has a fantastic autumn color in all shades of red for a long period. Just starting to turn now. It doesn't like strong winds, prefers shelter. Very attractive tree. 🌳

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

plus one on the weeping beech ,I love the monkey puzzle tree,very unusual and neat,some lovely ones dotted around big Georgian old style houses in Dublin with huge front gardens,makes a big statement,no leaves to gather up either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement