Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW front to back tire difference

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

In that price range I'd be looking at the Uniroyal RS3.

My E39 wheels are staggered and the rears are wider with lower profile: 235/45/17 and 255/40/17. Given the profile difference I'm surprised yours are the same width, tyres swapped by a previous owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The wheels and tyres at the back are wider for better traction on the driven wheels. It's called a staggered set up and the majority of BMWs and Mercedes cars have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

The wheels and tyres at the back are wider for better traction on the driven wheels. It's called a staggered set up and the majority of BMWs and Mercedes cars have it.
    But in this case they are they same width, just smaller. Not quite into Delorean territory, but it sounds like previous owner just thought matching tyres were too expensive :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

On mine the fronts are 225/45/18 and the rears are 255/35/18.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

On mine the fronts are 225/45/18 and the rears are 255/35/18.

Yeah, that's the correct stagger. OPs ended up with the wrong profile/size on both....somehow.

You can get away with fitting 225/45 all round if you wanted to. I had a poke around on a couple of manufacturers websites, they have their tolerances listed for the tyres and what rim sizes they'll fit. IIRC 225/45 can go as far as 9J while still complying with manufacturer spec. At 8.5J it's a tiny, not even noticeable stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Looking at some new shoes for 523i, when checking the tire size I noticed that the profile on the back tire's is slightly lower than the front.

Front 245/40 R18
    Back 245/35 R18

Any reason for this? Should I keep it like this or will I just go with the same size all around?

Thinking of going with these tires great reviews and price looks right, anyone use these before?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s323p111417/Vredestein_Tyres_Car_Vredestein_Ultrac_Sessanta_-_245_40_R18_97Y_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_1_Noise%3A_67dB

What wheels have you got?
    Some E60 MSport wheels are square fitting all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

kceire wrote: »
    What wheels have you got?
    Some E60 MSport wheels are square fitting all round.

Mine should have 245/40/18 all the way round, that's standard fit on the E60 M Sport with the 18" wheels.

I've got 45 profile on front at the moment though as they were free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭allinthehead

R.O.R wrote: »
    Mine should have 245/40/18 all the way round, that's standard fit on the E60 M Sport with the 18" wheels.

I've got 45 profile on front at the moment though as they were free.

Ya i've got the 18" msport wheels and they're 245/40/18 front and back

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tmg

it should be on the sticker inside the petrol fill thing where it states the tyre pressures no?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

A lot of E39 saloons are staggered while the tourings are not, could be the same for other models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,223 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My old E90 M Sport had a staggered setup:
    Front - 225/40/R18
    Rear - 255/35/R18

My current F10 has a non staggered setup:
    Front/rear - 245/45/R18

The only ones that tend to have a staggered setup from the factory are some of the M Sports or more powerful engined models.

OP the only difference with yours is the profile (height) of the tyre side wall which doesn't appear to be from the factory but rather by the previous owner. Personally I'd go back to the factory setup.

Some good info here:
    http://www.wheel-size.com/size/bmw/5-series/2006/#trim-523i-eudm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Just to clarify, staggered setups don't have lower profile tyres on the back. Yes it's a lower number, but this is a ratio by comparison to the width. So the tyre wall should actually be the same all round, it's just the numbers make it look like it's smaller.

It can be a pain in the ass getting four matching tyres from the same manufacturer and same model of tyre, 18"+, from the same retailer. Often you have to compromise with X model on the front axle and Y model on the rear axle, from the same manufacturer. At least that's my experience with high end tyres in 18"-20".

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

Ya i've got the 18" msport wheels and they're 245/40/18 front and back

yeah that's what I have 18" MV2's, I'll go all round with the same profile so

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

yeah that's what I have 18" MV2's, I'll go all round with the same profile so

That's the way they were designed. A square for all round for the E60 but the E46 MV2's are a staggered set up.

Advertisement