Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Rent Book or Rent Statement

Options
  • 31-07-2015 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I am in arrears on my rent but have been making efforts to clear these arrears. I have asked the letting agent to give me a statement of rent paid over the last 12 months just so I can be 100% sure where I stand and they have refused to do this. I have no rent book either, however I do have receipts for all the rent I have paid. As far as I know I am entitled to a statement of rent paid?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi folks,
    I am in arrears on my rent but have been making efforts to clear these arrears. I have asked the letting agent to give me a statement of rent paid over the last 12 months just so I can be 100% sure where I stand and they have refused to do this. I have no rent book either, however I do have receipts for all the rent I have paid. As far as I know I am entitled to a statement of rent paid?

Thanks
    Tell them it is an offence not to issue you a rent book or statement of rent paid.

http://www.threshold.ie/advice/seeking-private-rented-accommodation/should-i-be-given-a-rent-book/
    Your landlord must, by law, provide you with at least a rent book or other document such as a lease, which you keep. It is used to record all rent, deposit and other payments made by you. The rent book or lease should contain other useful information on the tenancy including an inventory list of all items provided as part of the tenancy, your details and the name, address and contact details of your landlord and their agent if they have one.

If you pay rent to the landlord in person it must be recorded either in the rent book or by receipt stating the amount, purpose and date of the payment and the period to which it relates.

Where payment is made by any other method, for example direct debit, your landlord must, not more than 3 months after receipt, either record it in the rent book or provide you with a written statement of the amount, purpose and date of the payment and the period to which it relates.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

Thanks Foggy, I dont want to be an arsehole about it, but think this is out of order. What should I do? I have an email stating that they wont give me a statement as I am arrears. BTW, I never dodged them, just ended up in a bad situation, am ready to clear the arrears immediately once the exact amount is agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

How have you normally payed the rent. Via standing order etc?

How have you normally payed the rent. Via standing order etc?

Used to be direct debit, but once I ran into problems I was only able to pay half my rent each month for the last 6 months and did this by cash lodgement. I have all the receipts, I just want them to confirm they received the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Used to be direct debit, but once I ran into problems I was only able to pay half my rent each month for the last 6 months and did this by cash lodgement. I have all the receipts, I just want them to confirm they received the money.
    Surely once you have dated receipts for cash payments you have a statement of what you paid and also what you now owe?

Just deduct what you have evidence of paying from what you should have paid, so A times 6months taken from rent times 6months and you are left with arrears but remember the rent is normally paid in advance so if they have given you an amount that you owe it will include the current periods rent which is due.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Surely once you have dated receipts for cash payments you have a statement of what you paid and also what you now owe?

I do, but I want them to acknowledge they received the payments. They have told me that as I have not been paying rent in accordance with the lease that they are unable to provide receipts or confirmation of payments. It makes me suspicious and uncomfortable about sending through a significant sum of money now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I do, but I want them to acknowledge they received the payments. They have told me that as I have not been paying rent in accordance with the lease that they are unable to provide receipts or confirmation of payments. It makes me suspicious and uncomfortable about sending through a significant sum of money now.

But you owe it so tranfer the money and keep a receipt.

If they agreed to let you only pay half for 6 months you have been extremely well looked after.

Many would be given notice and I would suggest transfer asap or may be a case of looking for a new place sooner then expected.

Advertisement