Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City Footbridge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Townie_P wrote: »
    I am indeed a very busy man, and very well informed. I'm not going to reveal how I get my info or what I do. You can choose to believe what you like, or whether it's garnered from 'small talk' or not.

Oh I think my post was blatantly sceptical that anyone could gather some many positive sentiments, unsought, through small talk.

I have no doubt that you are VERY well informed on this matter.

What would be the time line do ya think, will demolition and construction at the landing points be done before or after the bridge itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

phog wrote: »
    Open up the walk around Sarsfield House to Silvester O'Halloran bridge and there's no need top build any of the three options in your post.

Extend the riverside public realm improvements along Honans Quay, Arthurs Quay and along by the Hunt museum. That stretch of the quayside is underappreciated, underdeveloped and underused despite offering some of the best views in the city out on to the Curragower falls, the castle, Thomond bridge etc etc.

You could also look at lowering the wall of the Potato Market to open up the riverside along the Abbey. I'm not sure if that wall is original. I think it was rebuilt by Limerick Civic Trust in the 1980s. A larger replacement could be considered for the Sylvester O'Halloran bridge (in the same spot though) to cater for the increased footfall that the improvements would hopefully generate. The Potato Market itself needs to be reassessed too. It's completely wasted as a car park. It's shabby and uncared for. A landscaped public space with views of the rivers and in to the city centre (if Sarsfield House is taken down) would be worth pursuing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

“At night-time if you are driving into the city across the Shannon Bridge, you will see this fabulous structure on the water. "

You can already see a fabulous structure on the water. It's a well preserved norman castle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

These people haven't a ****ing clue, not a ****ing clue! Jesus H. Christ it is infuriating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

A campaign has gotten off the ground. Public meeting happening towards the end of the month, date and venue still to be decided.

Facebook page here - https://www.facebook.com/FootbridgeFolly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Vanquished wrote:
    These are the three design options that are up for consideration. From what I can gather the preferred option is to be presented next month.

I've been fairly sceptical of it so far, but that doesn't look as bad as I'd thought. I'm still not sold on it though. Other things should be prioritised. It seems like an attempt to put a 'wind block' in front of some other eye sores.

Do the opera site
    Knock sarsfield house
    Improve public realm

Its a nice idea to bring us closer to the amenity of the river, just poorly executed thus far. There were some complaints about the Dunne's etc facing away from the river (which I'm in agreement about), but then this tries to do it right (somewhat).

There needs to be some decent time put into this, no rushed decisions, open discussion. But the procurement of professional services for the public sector normally just selects the cheapest bid, and ends usually with the cheapest results.

They could easily knock up some images of their proposal superimposed onto different vantage points. I'll reserve judgement until then. An Taisce I'm sure will be very interested and make themselves involved where necessary.

moleyv wrote: »
    I've been fairly sceptical of it so far, but that doesn't look as bad as I'd thought. I'm still not sold on it though. Other things should be prioritised. It seems like an attempt to put a 'wind block' in front of some other eye sores.

The real issue, for most people I think, is the location. It's just too sensitive an area to be lobbing a bridge onto for no really good reason. As others have said, a well-designed riverside walk would enable good engagement with the river at much less cost and much less impact on what is the city's most valuable asset. An 'iconic' bridge in another location might work well though, but certainly not in the proposed location.

I think they are wrong in selling it as a 'bridge'.

Make space on there for pop up traders/food trollies. Have a space for displaying art installations. Run some river activities off it. Keep the design porous, frame some of the nice existing stuff. Make it a destination for a stroll at lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Make space on there for pop up traders/food trollies. Have a space for displaying art installations. Run some river activities off it. Keep the design porous, frame some of the nice existing stuff. Make it a destination for a stroll at lunch.

Also a place for trolls under the bridge would be a good selling point.

jmch81 wrote:

jmch81 wrote:

If some of my suggestions aren't to your liking you might elaborate, rather than becoming the subject of your own post.

• Advertisement

All the above could be achieved without building this. We have a potentially fantastic riverside amenity, but access in key locations is severely restricted. Sort that out and the case for this project collapses.

zulutango wrote:
    All the above could be achieved without building this. We have a potentially fantastic riverside amenity, but access in key locations is severely restricted. Sort that out and the case for this project collapses.

Of course, I agree other things need to be done first and I've said that; but down the line something could be done as an addition. I'm open to that idea and i think it is a good location. You aren't, fair enough.

A lot more counties are making greater use of their green and blue ways.

Of course, I agree other things need to be done first and I've said that; but down the line something could be done as an addition. I'm open to that idea and i think it is a good location. You aren't, fair enough.

It's just a very important site for the city. We shouldn't go messing with it on a whim, which basically this project is.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Vanquished wrote: »
    These are the three design options that are up for consideration. From what I can gather the preferred option is to be presented next month.
    I know they are only sketches but not really gone on any of these. There is nothing architecturally striking about any of them. Can't see any wow factor. Number three has potential but the main feature piece just looks like a copy of every other modern footbridge. Maybe they'll look better when properly modeled/drawn.
    Oh I think my post was blatantly sceptical that anyone could gather some many positive sentiments, unsought, through small talk.

I have no doubt that you are VERY well informed on this matter.

What would be the time line do ya think, will demolition and construction at the landing points be done before or after the bridge itself?

Nope, I'm not VERY well informed on this particular footbridge matter. Sorry to disappoint! No idea on timeline. Maybe someone who is familiar with planning/construction/development can answer you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Group set up in opposition to €18m Limerick footbridge

Now, the Footbridge Folly Action Group has been formed which will lobby in opposition to the bridge, which the council is planning to submit an application for shortly.

The action group is made up of a number of organisations which use the river including An Taisce, the two rowing clubs, the Curragower Boat Club, and the St Mary’s Men’s Shed Project. Also involved is the Thomond Archaeological Society.

Plenty of local opposition to this as well as half the council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Limerick Leader's editorial came out strongly against the footbridge

I really don't think it can happen in the face of such opposition. It really shines a light on how dysfunctional the Council is. That they thought themselves that it was a good idea is bad enough, and shows how inept they are. But that they started spending a lot of money on such a project without good early stage consultation is really quite a serious matter. As I said before, it's only a matter of time before fingers are pointing towards certain people and heads may roll over the whole fiasco.

Conn Murray intends to press ahead with the bridge, calling it potentially iconic.

You know what is iconic and already there Conn? The whole fcuking river and the view you intend to spoil so you can grab the money on offer.

Time to remove this clown from office.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Red King wrote: »
    Conn Murray intends to press ahead with the bridge, calling it potentially ironic.

Corrected the spelling for you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Anti-bridge protest group down the market this morning. Had a boat and posters. Recognised some local fisherman.

Edit: Seems it was the Footbridge Follies group.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1708284989414570&id=1706868142889588

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Could they not just spend a million quid and enhance the existing walkway and footbridge that is already there?

Treepole wrote: »
    Could they not just spend a million quid and enhance the existing walkway and footbridge that is already there?

That sounds too much like common sense.

I walked down to where this proposed bridge is due to be located today. There was a ceremony marking the anniversary of 1916 taking place behind city hall and I wanted to walk from Arthurs Quay park over the existing footbridge to the potato market.

Except you can't.

Someone, more than likely our genius Council, have erected barriers behind Sarsfield House blocking access to the footbridge.

c957eb08963a91a1cdbbc3300adf299f.jpg--sarsfied_house_has_been_earmarked_for_demolition.jpg

You basically have to walk around by the Hunt Museum now if you want to get to City Hall.

Only recently I walked this route and it was not blocked off.

Can someone explain why this is now the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Might have been blocked because it was a Sunday, don't they close the potato market on a Sunday or are you talking about the gate which is next to Sarsfield House because I think that's closed when Sarsfield House is closed.

Yeah, those gates (both at Sarsfield House and Potato Market) are closed outside of regular office hours I think.

Obviously the solution to this obstacle is to build an €18 million euro footbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

zulutango wrote:
    Yeah, those gates (both at Sarsfield House and Potato Market) are closed outside of regular office hours I think.

Why do they do that? I would love to run over those bridges in the morning but the gates are always locked. V annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

panda100 wrote: »
    Why do they do that? I would love to run over those bridges in the morning but the gates are always locked. V annoying

Think it's to stop anti social behaviour happening at the back of Sarsfield house and think Corbet have their base still in the Potato Market so maybe it's locked because of that.

I think that just sums up the way our city is run quite beautifully.

The existing footbridge was no dount opened to much fanfare and promises that it would connect the potato market to the city and open up the riverfront (if someone could dig up old articles from the post and leader on this I bet it would be hilarious reading) and now, years later, the sight of a person walking over the footbridge is as rare as hens teeth.

Not least because access to the footbridge is blocked by ugly barriers behind Sarsfield house and the footbridge is closed on Sundays. The day most people are off and enjoy walking by the river.

But wait! Now the council have a brainwave and the promise of a pot of gold to build another footbridge and therefore open up the river and blah blah blah blah blah.

Fastforward to 2030 and the monstrosity footbridge is rarely used due to it being closed because of anti-social behaviour etc etc but don't worry good citizens of Limerick! The council has a plan!

"As part of our vision for Limerick 2050 the Council has decided that what Limerick City really needs is a Cable Car from Arthurs Quay park to King Johns Castle. This will connect the city to the medieval quarter, which has to date been poorly serviced by the under utlised footbridges. We also are due to unveil plans for the redevelopment of the Opera Centre - which should be finished in time for 2050."

There's a public meeting about the bridge this evening in the Strand Hotel (top floor at 8pm). It's being organised by the Footbridge Folly group. They'll give a presentation of what information they have managed to get from the Council and there'll be a chance for people to air their views whether for or against the proposal. It's open to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Red King wrote: »
    The existing footbridge was no dount opened to much fanfare and promises that it would connect the potato market to the city and open up the riverfront (if someone could dig up old articles from the post and leader on this I bet it would be hilarious reading) and now, years later, the sight of a person walking over the footbridge is as rare as hens teeth.

I remember when the bridge opened. There was a big opening ceremony and it was so busy with people walking over and back across the bridge that it almost felt like it would collapse under our weight.

And here is a description of the original brief, check out the last paragraph.
    The brief called for the development of stalls for a Craft Market, the refurbishment of the original Potato Market site and the creation of a new performance space on the edge of the River Abbey on the Historic Kings Island quarter of Limerick City.

The works included the repair and reinstatement of the original quay walls and boundary railings with external works including paving of landscaping and the development of a new linear market building structure.

A new pedestrian bridge links the site with the Hunt Museum Park on the opposite river bank creating a vital link in extending the Limerick City Walk from King Johns Castle to the Limerick Docklands.

Advertisement