Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrel Fluting

Options
  • 31-07-2015 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Just wondering is there anyone that would come recommended to flute both bolts and barrels in this country ??

Regards
    Simon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

I'm sure doms custom rifles would sort you out easily on that one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've seen it done without the proper machine and feck me it was pure s**t.

Instead of symmetrical looking fluting it had a straight down side and then an angled side. So look like a crooked V instead of a nice clean U shape. Also the lngth of each fluting was inconsistent. Some ended before the others and at the action started in different spots. While the barrle was usable it looked God awful and frankly if it were my barrel it's be int he bin.

I don't know of anyone here that does it. No one that does it tastefully anyway. I sent my barrel to Dolphin firearms in the UK. They normally don't do barrels other than their own, but i knew a guy that knew a guy so got it done as a favour.

Why are you looking to have it done?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Am I mistaken if I think it's an option that's only available for the heavier target type barrels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

It's not only on heavy barrels, my sako finnlight has a light contour barrel and its fluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

After reading Cass' post, I gave Dolphin [about twenty minutes away from me] a call. Initially, I was asked whether or not the barrel/s had either been off before, or were capable of an easy removal, as I understand Savage barrels are. It was decided though to find out what make and model this barrel was- so now I'm asking the OP -

Make model and current barrel contour, please.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

I saw a job done on a barrel with a varying taper and the fluting looked like a pigs ear. Too deep near the chamber end and shallow towards the muzzle. The flutes also coincided with the edge of the fore end to allow water and dirt to enter.
    An overhead mill in the wrong hands is a dangerous thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'm bumping this thread as I'm still awaiting details of the OP's rifle and barrel contour. Is he/she still interested or not?

tac

Advertisement