Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driver Cyclist arguement with a brilliant ending NSFW or kids

1235»

Comments

car in the video didn't seem that close to me.

I cycle and drive around Dublin. cyclist seems a wanker in this video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

There seems to be confusion here between a foot and a yard.
    1 yard = 3 feet = 91.44 cm (i.e. a little under a metre).
    1 foot = 12 inches or approx. 30 cm, the length of a typical school ruler (the type your kids would have in their schoolbag, not the teacher's metre stick).

QuinDixie - when you say a foot, are you actually thinking of a yard?

Anyone who thinks it's ok for a car to overtake a bike by skimming past only a foot (12 inches, 30 cm, one ruler length) away is nuts. The draught caused by a vehicle passing at speed could itself cause the cyclist to be sucked towards the vehicle. The alarm triggered by such a close pass is also quite likely to cause a cyclist to wobble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

radia wrote: »
    There seems to be confusion here between a foot and a yard.
    1 yard = 3 feet = 91.44 cm (i.e. a little under a metre).
    1 foot = 12 inches or approx. 30 cm, the length of a typical school ruler (the type your kids would have in their schoolbag, not the teacher's metre stick).

QuinDixie - when you say a foot, are you actually thinking of a yard?

Anyone who thinks it's ok for a car to overtake a bike by skimming past only a foot (12 inches, 30 cm, one ruler length) away is nuts. The draught caused by a vehicle passing at speed could itself cause the cyclist to be sucked towards the vehicle. The alarm triggered by such a close pass is also quite likely to cause a cyclist to wobble.

everyones feet are different.:pac:

1 foot, 12 inches, from handle bar to wing mirror is perfect in certain situations.
    It happens everyday.
    Its a non issue.

But the hatred SOME motorists and cyclists have for each other is a very real and dangerous issue. I dont understand it, never will.
    Some road users believe their car, bicycle, motorbike is an extension of them and that is something I find verges on psychotic.
    Courtesy is the word. More Courtesy. Dont take it all so personal.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Then why do the RSA say 1.5 metre ~ 5 feet
    Either you drive safely or you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

do you drive
    do you cycle
    have you ever broke the rules
    who hasnt:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I take that you are somehow missing the huge, gaping contradiction between
    QuinDixie wrote: »
    1 foot, 12 inches, from handle bar to wing mirror is perfect in certain situations.
    It happens everyday.
    Its a non issue.

and
    Courtesy is the word. More Courtesy.

'Courtesy' generally involves at a minimum, complying with the law, and as a general rule, being considerate of the other party's personal safety.

If you have even the slightest commitment to courtesy, leave more than 1 foot when you pass a cyclist. Multiply it by 3 and you'll be heading in the right direction.

I'm still confused that having seen the UK Highway Code role and the RSA recommendation, why would you NOT want to do this? What is so urgent about your overtake that you can't wait 30 seconds or in unusual circumstances 60 seconds to find a safe place to pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

do you drive
    do you cycle
    have you ever broke the rules
    who hasnt:pac:

Yes I drive. Yes I cycle. Yes of course I have failed to always exercise adequate respect of all safely guidelines and road traffic law.

But you are trying to condone dangerous driving and dangerous overtaking.

1 foot overtaking distance is nowhere near OK. It is indefensible. If you don't recognise this then you shouldn't be let behind the wheel.

RainyDay wrote: »
    I take that you are somehow missing the huge, gaping contradiction between

and

'Courtesy' generally involves at a minimum, complying with the law, and as a general rule, being considerate of the other party's personal safety.

If you have even the slightest commitment to courtesy, leave more than 1 foot when you pass a cyclist. Multiply it by 3 and you'll be heading in the right direction.

I'm still confused that having seen the UK Highway Code role and the RSA recommendation, why would you NOT want to do this? What is so urgent about your overtake that you can't wait 30 seconds or in unusual circumstances 60 seconds to find a safe place to pass?

I think you are very confused.
    I do not overtake every bicycle and leave 1 foot gap. That does not happen.
    I have done it, but very rarely and involving low speeds.
    I suppose it comes down to skill of driving, mine is very high. You dont drive so wouldnt understand.

You be careful out there. Always keep it real and show some courtesy.

Yes I drive. Yes I cycle. Yes of course I have failed to always exercise adequate respect of all safely guidelines and road traffic law.

But you are trying to condone dangerous driving and dangerous overtaking.

1 foot overtaking distance is nowhere near OK. It is indefensible. If you don't recognise this then you shouldn't be let behind the wheel.

In future read while you are typing, might help before pressing submit.

You admit to breaking the law, let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

I suppose it comes down to skill of driving, mine is very high. You dont drive so wouldnt understand.

Quite clearly you're suffering from cognitive bias.

• Advertisement

In future read while you are typing, might help before pressing submit.

You admit to breaking the law, let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

There is a very big difference between guilt and condoning bad and dangerous behaviour. I stand over everything o have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Presumably this is just trolling, but if not, perhaps I should explain that I do drive. Like most cyclists, I drive, having passed the same driving test as every other driver.

Most of us think that we're great drivers, and most of us are wrong. If you think that there are any circumstances where a 1 foot gap is safe, you are neither a skilled driver nor a courteous driver.

But again, you avoid the question - what is so urgent about your overtake that you can't wait 30 or 60 seconds to do it safely and legally.

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein relatively unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to accurately evaluate their own ability level. Conversely, highly skilled individuals may underestimate their relative competence, erroneously assuming that tasks that are easy for them are also easy for others.[1]

David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University have postulated that the effect is the result of internal illusion in the unskilled, and external misperception in the skilled: "The miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."

As has been said, if you think 1 foot is enough, then you are not a competent driver.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Presumably this is just trolling, but if not, perhaps I should explain that I do drive. Like most cyclists, I drive, having passed the same driving test as every other driver.

Most of us think that we're great drivers, and most of us are wrong. If you think that there are any circumstances where a 1 foot gap is safe, you are neither a skilled driver nor a courteous driver.

But again, you avoid the question - what is so urgent about your overtake that you can't wait 30 or 60 seconds to do it safely and legally.

Most of us think we are great cyclists, and most of us are wrong.:pac:

1 foot gap and happens everyday, and the statistics prove its not exceptionally dangerous. Just look at cyclist deaths. Very low. Cycling is not a dangerous pastime.

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein relatively unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to accurately evaluate their own ability level. Conversely, highly skilled individuals may underestimate their relative competence, erroneously assuming that tasks that are easy for them are also easy for others.[1]

David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University have postulated that the effect is the result of internal illusion in the unskilled, and external misperception in the skilled: "The miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."

As has been said, if you think 1 foot is enough, then you are not a competent driver.

I dont understand, can you explain to me better.
    Does this mean everyone in the whole world suffers from this.:D

I dont understand, can you explain to me better.
    Does this mean everyone in the whole world suffers from this.:D

No but incompetent drivers who think that they have excellent drinking skills do.

• Advertisement

No but incompetent drivers who think that they have excellent drinking skills do.

Yes is the answer. your answer shows you suffer from it to.
    Ya Follow.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Yer man on the bike was just looking for an argument and chickened out. A better outcome would have been the driver catching the bike with the kick and both of taking a faceplant.

No.

I think you've got a bias in your ability to understand cognitive bias theories.

No.

Exactly. :D

• Advertisement

I think you've got a bias in your ability to understand cognitive bias theories.

Love it, must be contagious, That description of cognitive bias fits with everyone I know. :pac:

Exactly. :D

I'm sorry but someone who thinks that it's acceptable to overtake a pedal bike leaving only 1 foot is acceptable because it happens everyday is not only an idiot but a bad driver. Furthermore, If that incompetent driver considers that they are skilled as a motorist, they are clearly suffering from a cognitive bias.

Love it, must be contagious, That description of cognitive bias fits with everyone I know. :pac:

Maybe because your peers are all in their twenties!

I'm sorry but someone who thinks that it's acceptable to overtake a pedal bike leaving only 1 foot is acceptable because it happens everyday is not only an idiot but a bad driver. Furthermore, If that incompetent driver considers that they are skilled as a motorist, they are clearly suffering from a cognitive bias.

Firstly, I dont think you understand cognitive bias.
    Secondly, I am not the idiot here, see Firstly.
    Thirdly, I am an excellent driver. never had a point, a fine, any accident.
    Hooray for me.
    1 foot my eye.:pac:

Hooray for me.

What does 1 foot my eye mean?

1 foot is what you think is a reasonable distance to overtake cyclists. Right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Hooray for me.

Ok, enough sly digs. We're done here unless somebody else wants to talk about something other than how long 1 foot is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement