Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quaintest village in Co. Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Prospect Square, in the old townland of Prospect which gave its name to Prospect Cemetery (Glasnevin Cemetery), has to be among the most quaint squares in Dublin. The fact that Dublin's greatest pub (est. 1833), where you park your bicycles inside the front door, is right on it helps. It's a very calm, peaceful part of the city.

This small square, and De Courcy square next to it, are deemed by the City Council to be an ARCHITECTURAL CONSERVATION AREA
    ( ACA ): Prospect Square / De Courcy Square and Environs
    (a detailed history of the area and its buildings; the entire area was essentially created as a result of the cemetery being opened in 1832 when Prospect Square became the original entrance to the cemetery.)

Lovely area. Glasnevin village itself, at least on the hill, is nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I know I'm sort of changing my own thread title from village to road/avenue/street but I walked down Waltham Terrace in Blackrock the other day. What a gorgeously quaint, quiet little road. It's just lovely, full of cottages and houses with colourful doors, laid back from the road up steps and surrounded by flowers and trees.

Streetview from Mount Merrion Avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I love Loughshinny beach and harbour, but it really is missing a cafe or restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I love Loughshinny beach and harbour, but it really is missing a cafe or restaurant.

This 153 m² building is for sale for €375,000. Seems like amazing views and right on the beach (lovely stone boat house next to it, also). I haven't been to a restaurant right on the sea since Dalkey Island hotel was in business. Could this become the only restaurant in Dublin right next to the sea/beach?

Google Earth view of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This 153 m² building is for sale for €375,000. Seems like amazing views and right on the beach (lovely stone boat house next to it, also). I haven't been to a restaurant right on the sea since Dalkey Island hotel was in business. Could this become the only restaurant in Dublin right next to the sea/beach?

The Waterside Hotel restaurant/bar is right on the edge of the sea at Donabate.

Nice spot altogether!

http://www.watersidehousehotel.ie/dining/sea-view-terrace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Definately Glasnevin. There is tons of interesting styles of buildings in it, from 1930s in Iona/Cremore to Art Deco around Griffith Avenue, Arts and Crafts style on Botanic Avenue. There is also the 1600s Farmhouse on Ballymun Road and the really interesting CoI Church around the corner. Glasnevin is alway over looked as there is no real village to it. There is just a ton of clustered shops/bars in parts of it

Howth is obviously impressive. But I think its too touristy. There is a real lack of authenticity to it. I worked in it for the Summer and I felt it wasnt really a village. But more of an extension of a tourist strip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Not many people know it but Chapelizod is the source for one of the great romantic tales of medieval Europe, the legend of Tristan & Iseult, which Wagner made into a famous opera named Tristan und Isolde. In the grounds of the current Church of Ireland lies the remains of Isolde's chapel and it is here that Tristan is reputed to have asked her for her hand in marriage. There is also a sign marking Tristan & Isolde House in the village today.

But it was a different Iseult in Chapelizod. Tristran fell in love with Iseult the Fair, due to an unfortunate misapplying of a love potion; however, they ended up agreeing that she should marry the king he'd been sent to fetch her from. (It's not clear if she got another love potion to replace the first and do the intended: make her fall in love with her husband.) They agreed that wherever he was, if he needed her he would send a ring she'd given him. If she was coming to him, she must put white sails on the boat and he'd keep watch.

So off he went and married Iseult of the White Hands, and they lived in Chapelizod. Understandably enough, this Iseult's nose was out of joint with the first love - you can imagine the scenario, people saying "Oh, lovely hands, but you should have seen his first mot", and so on.

Tristran fell ill and was close to death; he knew the only thing that could save him was to see Iseult the Fair once more. So he sent off the ring, and she leapt on a boat and headed from Cornwall to Ireland.

But as the boat sailed up the Liffey (presumably a Viking longboat if it was to sail in the shallow draught of the marshy Liffey at that time), Tristran asked Iseult of the White Hands to look out and see what colour the sails were. Tight-lipped, she answered, "Sorry matey. Black." And that was the end of poor old Tristran.

Advertisement