Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numb cock after a cycle

Options
  • 01-08-2015 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Last week I got the notion to go on a cycle of a few hundred kilometres down home over a few days on a road bike that's probably been a bit too small for me for a few years now.

I did notice on each of the three nights that everything was feeling a bit numb down there, but just put it down to the wet and cold and thought nothing more of it.

It's been five days since I finished the cycle, but unfortunately that's the only thing that's finished since then. My meat and two veg feel alien to me and it's starting to affect my sex life because I could set it on fire and still not feel a thing. It's practically dead to me, besides a few seconds of hope where I thought the flag was being raised only for it to be taken down for a day of mourning or something.

So, my question is whether something like this is normal and has anyone experienced this? It was the longest cycle of my life for a starter, but I didn't think 12 hours of cycling would cause almost a week of torture? Should I head to doctor, or just say a few prayers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Just leave it, it'll fall off by itself.
    Nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Medical advice isn't really permitted on this forum but saying that I would strongly advise you to go and see your doctor immediately I have had numbness before but it goes after a few minutes out of the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Medical advice isn't really permitted on this forum but saying that I would strongly advise you to go and see your doctor immediately I have had numbness before but it goes after a few minutes out of the saddle.

This is definitely the only advice we can give OP. Get yourself to a doctor ASAP, we are in no position to adequately judge your wellbeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I am re-opening this as the OP has suggested that it would be worthwhile to have a discussion to see how many people might have also encountered this, and how it might be prevented.

Absolutely, positively, no giving of advice for how to cure it if it happens to you.

I would hazard a guess that if the bike was too small for you then it may have been caused by all your weight being on the saddle for long periods with very little additional support from your legs/feet.

What height are you and what size is the bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Uncomfortably Numb

I'm 6ft and my bike is 54cm.

I raised the saddle so that I'd get a near full extension on my stride. I was in a very crouched position for much of the cycle.

I injured my ankle a few days before it which meant I couldn't get out of the saddle at all on hills and the like, so essentially I was routed to the saddle for 5 hours at a time. Probably not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Sounds like internal pudendal nerve compression. AKA cyclists syndrome

http://www.johnpolson.com.au/2011/11/05/something-every-male-cyclist-should-read/

AKA Numb Knob.

You should probably see a medical professional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I am re-opening this as the OP has suggested that it would be worthwhile to have a discussion to see how many people might have also encountered this, and how it might be prevented.

Absolutely, positively, no giving of advice for how to cure it if it happens to you.

Not me.......

........I've never encountered @Uncomfortably_Numb's cock!

On a more serious note, get to the doctor. Once or twice I've had a bit (not total) numbness, usually when I was breaking in a new saddle, but it never persisted more than a few minutes.

See your doctor, and consider replacing your saddle - perhaps with one with a cut-out.

Hope you fully recover soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Had it once before for a week or so after Milan San Remo (295kms). Sex lasted for ages that week. She loved it. Normal service resumed shortly thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Had it once before for a week or so after Milan San Remo (295kms). Sex lasted for ages that week. She loved it. Normal service resumed shortly thereafter.

Too much information. Trying to eat my breakfast here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I had it with a Fizik Arione saddle - obviously just a bad match for me. It was insidious though -happened slowly and progressively. I only realised after a week of constant turbo sessions which made it way worse. I was ignoring some minor pain down there during cycles too.

Since then I use Specialized saddles with a cut out (Toupe, Romin) and no problems.

The lose of sensation sounds amusing and useful but it was mainly frustrating :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fluorosilisic Frank

This exact thing happened to me last year....

I went to the doctor (who ended up being a fairly saucy blonde!) and her advice was to wait it out for another few days.

Unfortunately op it took about 6 weeks to return to normal.....andthere's been no problems since.

But my god it was a weird (non) feeling at the time.

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Too much information. Trying to eat my breakfast here.

Are you spooning it?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Are you spooning it?

I've even heard of people warming it in the microwave before they start...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Sometimes get a bit numb after two or three hours if I haven't been getting out of the saddle. Thankfully it goes away after a minute or so when I'm upright ( oo err missus!). I find that thirty seconds out of the saddle every half hour helps a lot in terms of prevention

The other thing to watch for is fore/aft position of the saddle. Mine tends to slip backwards over time (ie months) which seems to compress the area a bit more

I'm 6ft and my bike is 54cm.

I raised the saddle so that I'd get a near full extension on my stride. I was in a very crouched position for much of the cycle.

I injured my ankle a few days before it which meant I couldn't get out of the saddle at all on hills and the like, so essentially I was routed to the saddle for 5 hours at a time. Probably not ideal.

A 54cm frame isn't overly small for a person 6ft but I guess it depends on the individual. Sitting for 5hrs is quite excessive though, I get up out of the saddle every 10-15 minutes for a break no matter how long or short the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Is your saddle level? If it's tiled up, that could also be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

mod snip - see warning. Especially as a joke.

gman2k wrote: »
    mod snip

WTF?

My bro got some deep heat on his two veg once by accident. He didn't do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

WTF?

My bro got some deep heat on his two veg once by accident. He didn't do it again!

A common enough reaction. He should have rubbed in some crushed jalapenos, it cancels the heat sensation. True story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

It's all that riding.......

All Jokes aside....... Go and see a doctor.

Probably it is due to saddle position. Have you been properly fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

That was the week she got pregnant wasn't it?

stecleary wrote: »
    That was the week she got pregnant wasn't it?

Ha ha! Our babies were all made during the festive season so no!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Uncomfortably Numb

Thanks all for making me feel a bit more optimistic about it. Will most likely head to doctor if it hasn't improved by Tuesday, but there were some early signs of improvement this morning ;)

Will also look to get properly fitted in my LBS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks for reopening this.

I've never had a problem down there, thank fook. But I've had blisters behind my nutsack when I was breaking in a Brooks B17.

I'd never heard of 'numb knob' and having read the link provided the thread has been useful to me at least.

So, anyone wanna buy two bicycles?.. :p

On a serious note, if the B17 was causing me blisters is it doing anything inside that I won't know about until its too late!.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭1750W

Last week I got the notion to go on a cycle of a few hundred kilometres down home over a few days on a road bike that's probably been a bit too small for me for a few years now.

I did notice on each of the three nights that everything was feeling a bit numb down there, but just put it down to the wet and cold and thought nothing more of it.

It's been five days since I finished the cycle, but unfortunately that's the only thing that's finished since then. My meat and two veg feel alien to me and it's starting to affect my sex life because I could set it on fire and still not feel a thing. It's practically dead to me, besides a few seconds of hope where I thought the flag was being raised only for it to be taken down for a day of mourning or something.

So, my question is whether something like this is normal and has anyone experienced this? It was the longest cycle of my life for a starter, but I didn't think 12 hours of cycling would cause almost a week of torture? Should I head to doctor, or just say a few prayers?

Nothing to contribute to this thread other than it possibly has the best headline of any thread ever posted on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Had it after using a rental bike to climb mount Teide! The seat was too narrow and it was slightly pointed up! It took over a week for it to return back to normal. Weird and a worrying sensation at the time and I would say it is dangerous enough if that was happening regularly but I have had no problem since I returned to my own bike.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

I sometimes got a slight tingling feeling in said member but to be honest it was kinda enjoyable! It would only happen after a long day in the saddle on rough roads, I was blaming the combination of carbon frame and rims but a simple change in saddle position has got rid of it. So now my cycles are less enjoyable but less worrying! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Ive had the numbness after 15-30mins, it was a combination of bad saddle and wrong height and angle. it usually gave me problems but went away the next day.

I need the big slot down the middle, otherwise my pump doesnt work and I get a flat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

You can get 'no-nose' saddles (Google), which are meant to prevent this, and which are meant to be better for prostate health overall (n.b. not medical advice, go to a doctor etc.).

I don't ride a bike regularly, but if I did, I wouldn't use a regular saddle tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement