Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mint 17 update problem

• 01-08-2015 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi there

I tried to run mint update in the GUI 3 days ago and there were error messeges croping up causing the update to fail.

I then ran sudo apt-get update and upgrade and that seemed to resolve things -
    the check mark was displaying in the taskbar (bottom right corner).

When the system rebooted my wifi was gone. No light on the wifi button even; as if the hw switch was off (only I never touched it and repeated pressing of it did nothing to change the situation).

After installing mint 17 with cinamon last yr I finally got the wifi (a troublesome broadcom card) to work by installing the linux-firmware-nonfree package in synaptics package manager. However after trying to reinstall this in an effort to resolve matters it made no difference.

I would rather not have to start from scratch and reinstall mint as im not that knowledgeable in linux and can't remember how I did alot of the tweaks I did to get things just right (more of an amature really) so I was wondering is there a way to roll back on an update or some other action to try sort this issue out.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 gardeninghobby

Not sure I can help you there. I had major problems with wifi in linux in the past so now I always use a wired connection. What I can say, for future reference, is that there is an excellent program called Timeshift. It enables you to take snapshots in linux and to restore if you run into difficulties.

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install timeshift

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

ok thanks for the suggestion.

Should I be forced to reinstall; it might be a usefull addition.

Advertisement