Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have an rights ?

Options
  • 01-08-2015 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Okay so I've been working as an apprentice electrician the past 8-9 months now, recently it came to our attention that one part of the site 6-8 rooms had some unknown material in the floor of the rooms, they only noticed it when they were digging up part of the floor.

This part of floor they found it in was always broken up in (as long as I started ) at the back of the room about a foot wide and the length of the room, the rooms are small enough but it's beside the point.

The material they found was suspected to being 'asbestos', now no one knew if it was but the company over the site had it removed at the weekend when we were all away and shipped to Germany for disposa, I've asked a few times what it was but haven't got a straight answer. The safety officer on site only told me that if it is asbestos that only the guys that broke and dug up the floor in the first place can claim ? Asbestos once disturbed goes airborne I believe, so I think it's unfair that only the guys that dug it up can claim for damages.

I worked In them rooms for 2-3 months, drilling , tubing , wiring along with sweeping the floor as we moved along. The day the found the material they put a sheet of timber across the door to stop people going into the rooms but didn't cover the whole door only the bottom half ? Now when they dug it up or found it they disturbed it and made it airborne for everyone else around meaning we should have all got effected to a certain extent.

So I'm wondering could I claim if the material is actually asbestos ? I'm not out looking for money but I'm just after staring my carrier and if this has affected me in some way I don't want to let them away with it because my health is my wealth at the end of the day. Thanks for reading all advice is appreciated.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Rizzle__ wrote: »
    So I'm wondering could I claim if the material is actually asbestos ?

I'm afraid that we don't permit legal advice to be sought or given on Boards. The only recommendation I can give you is to speak to a solicitor who will be able to tell you if you have a case.

Please also note that this forum is for feedback on the site itself, rather than general queries. If you have more work related, but non-legal queries you'll get a better response in either the Wotk & Jobs or Work Problems forums.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement