Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you call Christmas?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

8c4b084a3c0104be9566ef2f805d8221.jpg?stmp=1387825927

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I'll have to admit, my knowledge of the States at Christmas is limited to New York City, and they do Christmas brilliantly. Massive trees, Santas everywhere, shops selling tree baubles, ice rinks at the Rockefeller, egg nog, Christmas Jumpers, Elf, National Lampoons, but then they don't say the word. I can't understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Festivus for the rest of us.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

northgirl wrote: »
    Don't know if it's used anywhere else in Ireland but it's commonly referred to as "The Christmas" in Cork
    I occasionally say "the Christmas." :o
    As in "Mark is going home for the Christmas" because it's an abbreviation of "the Christmas (holidays)."
    That's the only time I would use 'the' though.

I like that Irish people generally add an extra 's' to Stephen's Day too.
    Like "are the sales starting on Stephens's day?" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Hearing crimbo makes me lose a little faith in humanity each time...! :(

Christmas does me fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Sam Kade wrote: »
    But if they don't have a religion what exactly are they celebrating?

The he season of goodwill, time off with family and friends, a time for reflection and appreciation of all the good in life, a time to make plans, get out in nature, huddle up and watch movies, enjoy the non religious traditions.

There is plenty to celebrate and look forward to without being religious for the non religious.

And plenty for those who are religious and not just Christians

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The he season of goodwill, time off with family and friends, a time for reflection and appreciation of all the good in life, a time to make plans, get out in nature, huddle up and watch movies, enjoy the non religious traditions.

There is plenty to celebrate and look forward to without being religious for the non religious.

And plenty for those who are religious and not just Christians
    That sounds like a Cliff Richard song :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

northgirl wrote: »
    Don't know if it's used anywhere else in Ireland but it's commonly referred to as "The Christmas" in Cork - makes me lol and cringe in equal measure :D

Every time I hear that phrase I think of our much missed former neighbor, Mrs. Tully. :) She never called it anything else. When I was about 7, my Dad had a fairly badly paid job so for a present, he decided to bring her in a barrow load of sticks on Christmas Day.
    Off he went at about 12.30, telling my Mam he's be back in 3/4 of an hour for the dinner. 1.30 came, no sign. My sis & I were sent in to get him as my younger sister was a toddler. We were ushered in and put sitting on the sofa with a beaker of squash and a biscuit each. Dad looked kind of funny and wasn't talking right either.
    2.30 came and my mother arrived with a face like thunder; Mrs Tully was sitting with a bottle of Sherry in one hand and a glass in the other, every time Dad (who was a pioneer until that day) took a sip of his, she topped it up and by now he was very drunk.
    After trying to exchange pleasantries politely, Dad was frog marched home, where upon sitting down at the table declared the turkey was moving and decided to head straight to bed. Needless to say my Mother was like a weasel for the rest of the day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

free drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Haznat

Crimbo isn't correct. It's "the Crimbo" and is widely used in most parts of Dublin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement