Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm Pregnant!

Options
  • 01-08-2015 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I can't quite believe it, but I took a pregnancy test this morning and it was positive!!
    I'm 2-3 weeks pregnant!

I am absolutely over-joyed. I cried sheer joy!!!

Typical me though, I have already begun to worry about what is growing inside me.
    This is normal right?

This is our first baby. I don't even know what to do with myself! I'm the first out of my friends to have a baby and this will be the first grandchild.

I don't even know if I can have a cup of tea!!!!

I am so happy!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

Ah congratulations. I remember this excitement, it's a truly wonderful time. Enjoy it, let it soak in and enjoy your cup of tea :):) you're in for one hell of a journey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

You can have tea!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

First thing first go to a doctor and they will do another test and then it's 9 months of pure joy😊 plus u can have that cup of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Congratulations.

I remember when my missus took a pregnancy test and it was positive. It was a fantastic feeling. We had to fight the urge to tell family! We now have a wonderful 18 month old boy and he took his first steps yesterday at a family get together with everyone watching him! Parenthood is great.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 taylorsterling

Thank you so much!!! My GP is closed now until Tuesday and I'll be working long-ish hours this week...
    Would love to get an appointment with her as soon as I can.

I just can't believe it... I keep staring at the test.

It's normal to be nervous right?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

You don't need to go to the doctor that quickly, I found out at 4 weeks and went to the gp at about 6-7 weeks. Many won't do a test, they will just take your word for it, and some will do a test but their tests are sometimes not as sensitive as shop bought ones and can wind up telling people they are negative when they have found out quite early. Nothing happens at the first gp appt other than taking info (blood pressure, weight, etc) and getting a referral to a hospital if needed, but as you're quite early there's no mad rush with that, like there would be if you found out at 10 weeks or similar.

Of course you can have tea, why wouldn't you be able to?? It would be a VERY long 9 months without even a cup of tea! I went off my beloved tea for about 4 months, didn't know what to do with myself at all then :) So have your tea and make an appt with your gp for the next week or two, there's no rush to get there Tuesday morning.

OH thanks a million for the advice, I'm a total novice at this.
    I'm open to any pearls of wisdom!! I really am still in shock. But so, so happy.

I just took the one clear blue test but I saw online some girls take a few??
    Am I save enough having just taken the one?

x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

OH thanks a million for the advice, I'm a total novice at this.
    I'm open to any pearls of wisdom!! I really am still in shock. But so, so happy.

I just took the one clear blue test but I saw online some girls take a few??
    Am I save enough having just taken the one?

x

I just took the one. Congrats :)

Yeah, one positive is all you need. I did one strip test and it was very faint so we got a digital one (I wasn't going to waste digitals all the time lol, but it happened our first month so didn't have to use many at all in the end), just so that we could properly confirm whether the faint line was real or not, as we found out when I was a few hours late. It's good not to obsess and test all the time, some women get into a trap of doing it every morning and freaking out if the line is faint or the number of weeks doesn't change. I tested about once every 3 days purely because I had euro shop cheapies to waste then.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

Congratulations!! I ended up taking 3, I was just in disbelief. I'm almost jealous of you having that early thrill. Was probably the happiest moment of my life. I'm now 33 weeks pregnant+ please God, I'll have another happiest moment in a few weeks!!

Hope you're feeling ok. Get your pregnacare vitamins so at least you know you're getting all you need. Then try to relax. Those 1st 12 weeks are scary but it's just so exciting, try to enjoy it all. Even the excitement of picking your hospital, maybe telling your parents (we couldn't keep quiet). Secretly picking names. Lying with your hand on your tummy feeling so happy. It's the best feeling in the world!! I don't even know you but I'm thrilled for you!! Xx

• Advertisement

Leogirl wrote: »
    I don't even know you but I'm thrilled for you!! Xx

This made me cry!! I am so emotional and elated. I just cannot believe it.
    I cannot wait to have a baby.

Thank you, you're all being so, so lovely. I have one more clue blue test (I had bought a two pack) I think I will leave it with the one test so, and go to my GP the week after next when my hours are better.

Looks like I will be due the first or second week in April. We were trying for a few months, the only thing we did differently in July was use Pre-Seed Lube and we DTD every two days.

Right now, I don't feel any different than normal except for the odd faint twinge.
    I really hope everything goes ok and the little person inside is healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I've never had a baby or been pregnant but I saw this on trending threads and it just made me happy! Your happiness is contagious :) congratulations and I hope everything goes well for you!!! X

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's normal to be nervous right?!

Absolutely OP, I remember when my wife announced she was five weeks pregnant, we'd been trying for a long time and I was still freaked out by the whole experience! My wife loved it though :D

KatW4 wrote: »
    I've never had a baby or been pregnant but I saw this on trending threads and it just made me happy! Your happiness is contagious :) congratulations and I hope everything goes well for you!!! X

This! :)

I used 2 Tesco ones first+ the line was faint so I was sure they were just cheap+faulty (around €5 for double pack). Turns out they're actually more sensitive than what docs use, in the early days cause I'd had a pregnancy test in hospital just a day before that came back negative. I Was due to start new meds. Then he got 1st response+ I hadn't even finish peeing and 2nd line was up!! Utter shock!!

I was mega hormonal+emotional in early days+ had sorest boobs for about 11 weeks. Be prepared for a few odd symptoms but hopefully you won't have morning sickness. I was lucky enough, boobs+ hormones were my only symptoms. But even the bad ones later on are worth it. It all passes. I bet you're bursting to tell someone+ talk about it. Use this to say it all while you wait out those first few weeks. I'm in a Facebook group for Sept 2015 mums that's brilliant. Maybe look for one that's for your month. It's great support.

Oh enjoy your normal clothes now :-) took me ages to show, well into 2nd trimester but it was a bit strange once I did :-)

awww thank you all!! I am just so delighted. I was terribly afraid it wouldn't happen.

This is definitely the happiest I have ever felt. I can't wait for my husband to get home!!

When would I start having scans? I have so many questions!!

It's normal to be nervous right? I suppose this worrying will last 9 months!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

It's normal to be nervous right? I suppose this worrying will last 9 months!!

It'll last the rest of your life :) But in a wonderful way.

Congrats momma! Enjoy it - it feels like no time at all since I was screaming at himself to come up the stairs while I was waving a stick about - the almost 2 yr old upstairs is now screaming for me to change his bum :D

I still just can't believe it! I'm going to run out and buy a whole pile of baby books!

I love hearing all your parenting stories!!

How long did you all wait before telling?! I don't know how I won't blab about this!!

Husband should be home in an hour!! I just know we will both be in tears with joy :)

xx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

So exciting :D I'm 33 weeks and it really has gone by so fast.

We told close friends and family at 7 weeks after an early private scan. Lots of people prefer to wait until they hit 12 weeks, but we just couldn't hold it in anymore!!

PandaPoo wrote: »

We told close friends and family at 7 weeks after an early private scan. Lots of people prefer to wait until they hit 12 weeks, but we just couldn't hold it in anymore!!

oh where did you get your scan done??

awww not long for you now! :)

We got a private early scan because we found out so early the 12 week scan (which was scheduled for 15 weeks) was nearly 3 months away. We went to scanme.ie in Mullingar, I highly recommend her if it's any way near you. Other than a private scan a normal hospital booking appt would usually be around 12-15 weeks and they do blood, midwives check urine, blood pressure and weight, and they do a scan.

Totally normal to be nervous, it's a big deal!

We didn't tell anyone until my mum at 10 weeks, his parents at 15 weeks and friends/other family we told from 16-17 weeks onwards. We were still telling some friends at 30 weeks, we kept it pretty quiet. And anyone that I don't see often/am not that close to pretty much didn't know until we told them he was born :) But it's totally up to you when and who you tell.

• Advertisement

I told my immediate family straight away. I needed their support, was just coming out of an ms relapse + needed a bit extra help. Also I was about to go on new meds, my family were all excited- had to tell them why I couldn't. Anyway, I was just bursting to tell. I figured if anything bad happened, they'd be the support I needed.

It's 100% normal to be nervous. You're carrying precious cargo in there!! And I thought I'd be relaxed after 12 weeks but nope, I still worry!! It's good prep for the years ahead :-)

I had first scan at 9 weeks, then again at 12. That's because I have ms+ I'm 37 I think. If I had to wait too long I'd have booked private. It's a great relief to see the little splodge on screen then at 12 weeks it starts to look like a tiny baby. It's lovely to have the photos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

First time pregnant we were waiting until 12 weeks to tell people but unfortunately miscarried at 9 so both sets of parents only found out then. I regretted not telling my parents especially my mum as I couldn't ask her questions like 'did you have this symptom etc?'. Second time we got pregnant we told both parents straight away and it was great to have their support. Having my mum as a sounding board was the best. Unfortunately we miscarried again at 9 weeks but it was nice to have them all rally round and support us through it again.

I know people wait until 12 weeks in case if miscarriage but from our experience it was great to have loved ones around in such a time of need. If we got pregnant again, I'd tell both sets of parents again. Then wait to 12-16weeks before telling family and friends.

Please God this will be plain sailing for you and you'll have a healthy happy baby in 9 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Huge congrats OP!!!

I am nearly 16wks and funnily enough was just starting to fill in a pregnancy diary I was given as a gift, writing about taking the test. Such a special time xxx

I was exactly the same as you, nervous from the second I found out. We bought "what to expect when you're expecting", I found it very reassuring.

If you have cramps try not to freak, this is really normal at the start.

We told immediate family at 6 wks due to it being my 30th and not wanting to fake drink etc. I remember reading somewhere that all babies deserve to be celebrated and embraced that thought. We haven't announced publicly yet.

Huge congrats such an exciting time xxx

Just want to second what was said about cramps. I got terrible cramps early on + at different stages. You have to remember something is growing+ your body gets ready for it. Lots of stretching. So don't freak out. You'll be told what's normal+ what to be worried about- trust your instincts though. But cramps- expect them+ don't worry about minor ones :-)

Hi all!!

Loved reading your stories. My husband came back just after 1 and was full of the chats... I nearly burst letting him finish his story before blurting out "I'M PREGNANT!!"The look of shock on his face - then delight. Really nice moment :)

But it hasn't sunk in for either of us!! I think that will take time. I went out and bought a good few books. Looking forward to reading them.

I am so happy. I'm very maternal. At the moment I am scared it will go away. I suppose most women feel that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

congrats :)

I love this thread!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

Taylorsterling, I did the two tesco tests and they were positive. I didn't believe it, thought nah these are Cheapo tests so we got the clear blues and they were positive as well. Thankfully in the doctors we got a positive too! Check with your preferred maternity hospital/unit as you might be able to self refer - I went with The Coombe and they have a self referral system.

I hope you're enjoying the day and future days in this exciting time. It's so precious and heartwarming. As for telling people, we told immediate family straight away! And then our friends after our 12 week scan. We had a scan at 6 weeks in the coombe but that's not routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Congratulations, I'm delighted for you!

I am 35 weeks pregnant with my first and it has been a wonderful journey so far. Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks again, I love hearing all your stories!
    I read that at 2-3 weeks the baby is the size of a poppy seed!

I think I will go to Holles St. I work right near there so makes sense in my head.

I don't feel any different yet, I just have some mild twinges every now and then that last a few seconds.

Advertisement