Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

R6 starts then dies after 40KM.. is this the battery?

• 01-08-2015 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Last two times bike has been out this has happened: bike starts runs fine, long spin, then when slowing down and changing down the gears bike dies. Battery won't start the bike (not enough power, barely able to turn over engine) but it goes with a bump start and goes ok, doesn't happen again at next junction.

Only other possible clue is this first happened some time after the bike was driven in some serious wet conditions but this may be a red herring. Also the battery was flat a few weeks ago after being unused for 2 weeks and I charged it with a small car charger but I am reading this is bad.... I only gave it a few hours, not overnight.

I have had plenty of flat batteries... you go to start whatever it is and won't turn over, jump start or push or charge the battery and off you go...once it's running it's ok. This is different, but when it stops and won't start it just seems like a battery with low voltage.

Anyone had experience of this type of failure? Comments? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

The regulator / rectifier most likely the fault if it's not charging whilst driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

charging system somewhere, or just knackered battery

thought the r/r's in the yams were reasonably reliable, so test before replacing anything (guides online how to diagnose probs with a multimeter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Buy yourself a good multimeter and check out a guide on testing your bikes charging system, I would first suspect RR but as mentioned already they were reliable on Yamahas, stator could also be at fault. Easy check for RR battery is reading under 12v or over around 14.5v with engine running you have a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭amacca

Agree with whats been said already...get multimeter, check voltage at battery contacts when bike is running...if voltage not around the 14v mark...somethings not right with the charging system.

as an outside bet........check that the vent hole in the fuel tank is not blocked/partially blocked...small hole somewhere near/on fuel cap or fuel cap opening...if this is blocked a vacuum develops in the tank over the ride making it harder and harder for fuel to be drawn out of the tank until eventually no supply to engine and it dies.

Then after you leave bike for a while it will start again as air has crept back in and fuel can flow again

does this happen after around the same distance travelled every time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

amacca wrote: »

does this happen after around the same distance travelled every time?

Short answer no. I have taken on board the comments and will get meter on it, tomorrow probably, and report back. I have ordered a €20 RR from a chinese supplier and have done my homework on testing RR from youtube as suggested, just have to dig it out and test... looks like tank has to come off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Turned out to be battery.

I replaced the RR with the Chinese one, still playing up, started initially but then died with a misfire and a blown 15A ignition fuse after 1 mile.

Installed new battery and fuse with Chinese RR still in, started for 10 seconds, blew the fuse again with a little puff of smoke from that area (seat was off)

I had tested the original Yamaha RR as suggested (only after ordering replacement!) as per Youtube and it tested good so I put that back in with new fuse. Couple of short spins and 170 mile trip today and all is good.

So to recap, only the battery has been replaced (€30 batteryworld.ie well pleased). I went with RR originally as it was the cheapest option as I had expected to pay at least double for the battery. The diode readings on the Chinese RR were a bit higher than Yamaha.

Thanks for suggestions. Safe riding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Turned out to be battery.

I replaced the RR with the Chinese one, still playing up, started initially but then died with a misfire and a blown 15A ignition fuse after 1 mile.

Installed new battery and fuse with Chinese RR still in, started for 10 seconds, blew the fuse again with a little puff of smoke from that area (seat was off)

I had tested the original Yamaha RR as suggested (only after ordering replacement!) as per Youtube and it tested good so I put that back in with new fuse. Couple of short spins and 170 mile trip today and all is good.

So to recap, only the battery has been replaced (€30 batteryworld.ie well pleased). I went with RR originally as it was the cheapest option as I had expected to pay at least double for the battery. The diode readings on the Chinese RR were a bit higher than Yamaha.

Thanks for suggestions. Safe riding.

It's a good feeling to sort an issue yourself and for little money

Advertisement