Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skin tumour in dog

• 01-08-2015 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hey I found a skin tumour on my dog o my 14 year old this morning just behind her front legs. It is semi hard, a little squishy and moves. It's probably about 1 inch in diameter. Obviously she will go to the vet and could only get her booked in on Thursday.

Anyway does anyone have any experience of these fatty lumps, what the vet will do and are many cancerous. She only has the one. Other than that she is flying form. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

One of my older dogs had lipomas which are small fatty lumps which occurred under the skin. We got them removed at but it depends on where the lump is and if its restricting the dogs movement. If it isn't impacting on the dogs movement the vet may leave it.

if that is what your dog has its not a major worry but vet will need to diagnose it properly.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

My 19 year old dog has a few of these. With all bar one so far the vet has been happy it was just a fatty lump & the one he wasn't sure of turned out to be nothing serious after it was whipped off for testing.

You don't say what type of dog it is OP but as my dog is of the hairy persuasion I make sure to notify the groomer when he's in to get his hair did as well as getting them checked by the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

I had a scare like this recently with my shihtzu, vet peformed a biopsy and the results came back ok i.e. nothing cancerous. I had to give her antibiotics for 8 days and bathe her paw (it was in between her toes) every night and dry it carefully before applying a steroid cream.

Long story short, the lump is still there but greatly reduced and the vet thinks it is just a reaction to the heat (we are having crazy hot weather over here this summer)

Let us know how you get on OP and hopefully it will be nothing serious x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There's a good chance these are harmless but you need to get them checked to be sure. Ours was 14 when he got them, we had to have some removed because he was scratching them but only for that we would never have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Quick update. Anyway went to get it checked out and vet looked at it. She did bloods and they came back normal, did full body checkup and heart and lungs are normal. Anyway she said to leave it and do no biopsy because it would be a risk as Poppy is approaching 15 and may not wake up from the anesthetic

I just want your opinion on this especially with owners of older dogs who underwent anesthetics. Would it be worth it because at present I don't know what I'm facing but then the fact I might lose her over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Did the vet think it was a harmless lipoma? Or what did she suspect it was? I'd agree with the vet to leave it to be honest. I wouldn't be crazy about an anestethic for a 15 year old dog. Theres a strong chance its just a harmless growth so common in older dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Ive been here too. My elderly dog had 2 or 3 fatty lumps. They were not in a location that caused any issues with mobility, so our vet too recommended leaving them. I would be wary of putting an elderly dog under an anaesthetic too - depending on how fit they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Hi my dog at 6 had a skin tumour removed, it came back as benign. He currently has another but I havent brought him to the vet about it, has it a few years and I monitor it. Wouldn't be crazy about anaesthetic for an older dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Yeah she said it was harmless at present as they are no other symptoms with it. She's still eating and exercising as normal. Plus there's no pus or soreness around the area. Okay thanks for that. I won't persist with a biopsy as it wouldn't be worth the risk. Thanks everyone :D:)

Advertisement