Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gave notice, still no response from landlord

Options
  • 01-08-2015 11:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi, my lease ended this month so I gave my notice in writing a month ago, unfortunately my landlady has been in hospital for the past few week, I have called over several times since then and apparently the landlady's sister is taking care of things while she is in hospital, but I have had no contact with her either, my lease is up and I am moved out but I have no one to give the keys to, I cant keep traveling over to see if someone's home, should I just drop the keys through the mail with a note attached?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Did you pay a deposit when you moved in, which you are waiting to get back? If so I'd be keeping hold of the keys until that is sorted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

Did you pay a deposit when you moved in, which you are waiting to get back? If so I'd be keeping hold of the keys until that is sorted.

Is that allowed? wouldnt I technically still have the place if I had the keys and be liable to more rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I wont. You are liable for rent up until you return the keys. I would email/text the landlord and say "hi, I handed you my notice on X date and I am moving out on X date. Here is my bank acc to return my deposit". If the landlord isnt responding, you need to start putting everything into writing with a record eg text, email

For future reference, when I send a letter or agree anything in a phone call. I nearly always put it into an email to the other party, stating what we agreed for a record. That what there is no "we never agreed that", a few months down the line

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I wont. You are liable for rent up until you return the keys. I would email/text the landlord and say "hi, I handed you my notice on X date and I am moving out on X date. Here is my bank acc to return my deposit". If the landlord isnt responding, you need to start putting everything into writing with a record eg text, email

For future reference, when I send a letter or agree anything in a phone call. I nearly always put it into an email to the other party, stating what we agreed for a record. That what there is no "we never agreed that", a few months down the line

My landlady is 94, she does not have an email address o a mobile phone. i still have the keys, so am i still liable for rent until she gets them back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

_oveless_ wrote: »
    My landlady is 94, she does not have an email address o a mobile phone. i still have the keys, so am i still liable for rent until she gets them back?

If you've moved out, I don't see it as overholding and thus would not be liable for rent. If you've already attempted to return the keys and get the deposit back, then I don't think you could be at fault.

Since you have an elderly landlady who's in hospital, it's probably fair to say she's not up to keeping up with what's required. Do you have contact details for the sister? Can you arrange something with her that suits everyone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement