Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless person covering face when at ATM

Options
  • 01-08-2015 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if I am being a bit paranoid here or if I am right to be suspicious. I was at the ATM last night and this homeless person went up to me and covered my face with a newspaper and asked for spare change. Would it have been possible for him to duplicate my ATM card. Has this happened to anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I don't think they could copy your card like that. They'd either have a skimmer in the machine or they would have to physically have your card.

The only scam I've heard of like this is that they distract you and grab the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

That sounds pretty weird but it seems highly unlikely your card was being duplicated. In this situation I would be a lot more worried about someone just looking to make a cash grab but it seems that he was just looking for a bit of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

poisonated wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I am being a bit paranoid here or if I am right to be suspicious. I was at the ATM last night and this homeless person went up to me and covered my face with a newspaper and asked for spare change. Would it have been possible for him to duplicate my ATM card. Has this happened to anyone else?

How did you react to this as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Could they have seen your PIN?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭LeBash

This is done in an attempt to push the highest value. If they manage it the person will be followed by someone and robbed. Women with handbags are the usual target for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

How did you react to this as a matter of interest?

I was going to make a deal of it but then let it go, he could have been dangerous.

testicle wrote: »
    Could they have seen your PIN?

No. I'm fairly sure that I hadn't entered it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The exact thing happened with a mate. He got skinned the following week. Tell your bank what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

your face.....jayus ya must be brutal looking ;)......normally its the other way around ...:D:D

I was going to make a deal of it but then let it go, he could have been dangerous.
    Thats the thing you never know what dodgy characters you'd be dealing with. Talk about invasion of personal space!

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The exact thing happened with a mate. He got skinned the following week. Tell your bank what happened.
    Hopefully your friend just got skimmed, being skinned would be just sick! :pac:

Contact your bank immediately, just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Hopefully your friend just got skimmed, being skinned would be just sick! :pac:

Ha ha just seen that. Yea contact the bank!! They can tell you if it has happened before.

Update: contacted the bank. They said that it was an attempt but nothing happened apparently. Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

How did you know the person was homeless?
    Did you ask them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Very soon or if not already in Ireland, this drug will be used to rob you of your free will, possessions and your money. The most dangerous drug in the world: 'Devil's Breath' chemical from Colombia can block free will, wipe memory and even kill. Nasty stuff indeed.

A person can walk passed you and blow this stuff in your face and eyes, and can make you do what they want, like asking you to go to the ATM and withdraw money, and you will just give it to them happy as larry.

Interesting documentary about it below, and it's only a matter of time before it is used here to steal from you, or your ATM pin details.

Report it to the bank. Chances are that the cameras would have picked him up. This is why I try not to use outdoor ATMs when in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Very soon or if not already in Ireland, this drug will be used to rob you of your free will, possessions and your money. The most dangerous drug in the world: 'Devil's Breath' chemical from Colombia can block free will, wipe memory and even kill. Nasty stuff indeed.

A person can walk passed you and blow this stuff in your face and eyes, and can make you do what they want, like asking you to go to the ATM and withdraw money, and you will just give it to them happy as larry.

There is waay worse here for a few years,block free will,wipe memory,end up with all your money gone :

cementous mcmansionous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

If it wipes memory how do u remember ur pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

danjo-xx wrote: »
    If it wipes memory how do u remember ur pin.

could be a natural thing ? sometimes i can barely remember my pin, but when I use the atm I automatically know what to press

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Check you Bank Card. He may have been trying to swap it for a similar looking card, having already seen you enter your pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

OP how exactly did he cover your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

steddyeddy wrote: »

:eek:

PREDATOR ROAMS THE STREETS OF IRELAND!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Some has already called this, idea it to push a large withdrawal amount and run with the cash. The Romanian gangs apparently are the one doing it in Europe. I would get an infraction, if I said what, I would do to someone attempting to rob me at an atm..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

It's for reasons like this that I never use ATMs on the street. I pay for everything by debit card and then just do cash back at a till to have a bit of cash on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Interesting documentary about it below, and it's only a matter of time before it is used here to steal from you, or your ATM pin details.

Guessing this is something along the lines of scopolamine, belladonna in which case it is nothing new, and not as effective as vice make out, but dangerous as fook all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

:eek:

PREDATOR ROAMS THE STREETS OF IRELAND!

Not predator, Comanche!

Advertisement