Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to fill in raised flower bed

Options
  • 01-08-2015 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

We built a raised flower bed in our back garden about 3 ft high and 10 ft in length . How should i fill it should i buy lots of compost from aldi and fill it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

That would take a huge amount of compost. It's also unlikely that you need more than the top 1 foot to be useable soil. Could you fill the bottom bit with polystyrene packing or rubble?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As littleredspot says, that would take a ridiculous amount of compost! You could fill the bottom of it with almost anything that will not interfere with drainage. Is there any rubble, tree branches etc you have to dispose of? Best thing would be a load of soil - doesn't have to be topsoil - and twothirds fill it. Then finish with a mixture of topsoil and compost. If you use all compost it will dry out and be difficult to re-wet. Slightly overfill as it will settle a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

Thanks I have some hardcore can i put in with soil that i have dug for the foundation of the wall, but the soil had weeds but they are dried in it now. Also i read some were to use vermiculite should i buy and mix it and is it the same we put in chimney surroundings?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are using soil you do not need vermiculite. Use a mix of soil (mostly) and compost for the top 12 inches and it will be ok for all but the hottest and driest conditions, in which case you will have to water it. Vermiculite would only reduce the frequency that you would have to water it, I would not bother. A mulch of stones or similar would be more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

I would not use hardcore,as over time it can and will compact down and form a barrier against good drainage.Loose stones and rocks would be the way to go,then infill with topsoil and a good mix of grit and manure for good growing medium.Overfill by around 50mm water it well and let it settle down for a week or so.Then you are good to plant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement