Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly compost.

Options
  • 01-08-2015 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭

I started a compost bin in a 25lt plastic container a few months ago, only uncooked veg etc. was used, today I transferred it to a larger container, the bottom was filled with the most foul smelling liquid.
    Did the lack of drainage holes cause this, and is it saveable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yes and yes.
    Just mix it and put it back. This time ensure it has an open bottom so worms can access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,648 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Also make sure to add some dry material from time to time. Dead leaves, dry clippings, feathers, dry soil - anything brown, dry and rustling - even torn up newspaper. Just a thin layer shaken over the new additions to your bin.
    This has the effect of
    a. drying out the wet layer and
    b. introducing a layer of AIR - very important.

If you don't aerate the contents a type of bacteria may grow in it that are called "anaerobic bacteria" - they are the ones that make the wet rotting smelly stuff.
    Many experienced composters will push a broom handle or bamboo cane down into the bin to make holes in it from time to time, again, to let air in.
    I myself sometimes use open bunkers and I toss the contents over with a garden fork or spade sometimes, if it is getting too impacted. I keep grass clippings in a separate pile nearby, and shake a few handfuls of that over it as well, to keep smells down.
    Not a big solid lump of grass mowings all at once - it can form a sort of stubborn wadge. Better to add these loosely, a layer at a time.

You want the texture to be open enough that plenty of worms and bugs and microbes can crawl through it and work their magic.

if it feels "warm" near the pile when you hold your hand above it, you're winning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

tampopo wrote: »
    Yes and yes.
    Just mix it and put it back. This time ensure it has an open bottom so worms can access it.
    Worms shouldn't survive the heat of an efficient composting heap!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Most domestic bins wouldn't be big enough or get a sufficient flow of material to get that hot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I find a compost pit works better than a compost pile - the worms come in and gollish it up in no time. Dig your pit deep, cover each lot of compost with a few good spadefuls of earth, water it in. If you're putting anything tough in, like orange peels, chop them up small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Worms shouldn't survive the heat of an efficient composting heap!

I just turned my dalek type compost bin on sunday. It's full of worms.

WP_20150816_13_34_20_Pro_zps8e3zmizf.jpg

and,

WP_20150816_13_34_29_Pro_zpsvuafminx.jpg

within a minute I was approached by a robin.
    WP_20150816_13_42_32_Pro_zpsyl4rvlu3.jpg

A good technique for getting worms in is to lay some twigs on the ground. Then cover with several sheets of newspaper and then cover with your kitchen waste/compost.

Advertisement