Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what point does not having a degree end your earning potential?

Options
  • 01-08-2015 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Really short, really quick.

I've been working in sales for three years since ending my Leaving, and my current job will pay me about 40k this year, about 45% being commission. For a twenty year old, I'm pretty excited about this but I would be horrified if I was earning a similar wage in my 40's.

I'm considering taking a part time degree whilst working. I'm just wondering what immediate opportunities this would offer me, and at one point I'll see the benefits of having a degree (or the disadvantages of not having one).

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Really short, really quick.

I've been working in sales for three years since ending my Leaving, and my current job will pay me about 40k this year, about 45% being commission. For a twenty year old, I'm pretty excited about this but I would be horrified if I was earning a similar wage in my 40's.

I'm considering taking a part time degree whilst working. I'm just wondering what immediate opportunities this would offer me, and at one point I'll see the benefits of having a degree (or the disadvantages of not having one).

Cheers!

In short yes. Tnhat's a decent wedge to be on at 20. But you're right to be thinkig about doing some further education.

First things first think about what you would like to do. And see how you can gradually achieve it over time. Doing a degree while working is gonna be seriously tough going and I wouldn't recommend it.

Maybe start of with a Dip/Cert in your field and then go FT down the road.

You're earning bucketloads for your age so get saving.

I'm 31 and decided to jack in my safe govt job in 2013 and head back full-time to DIT. Do not regret and my earnings potential will practically double on graduation in a field that I want to work in.

Advertisement