Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodlouse in house

Options
  • 01-08-2015 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Hi all

We have an issue where we find maybe between 5-7 Woodlouse walking about in our hallway everyday (usually in the mornings or when we come home from work)
    Sometimes find them walking across kitchen floor also.
    I've taking kick boards off kitchen and can't see anything, so I think they are coming in from under the wall at side of the house (there is a slight gap between floor and skirting.
    Any ideas how to get rid of them? There was a never an issue until some work was done putting a toilet under the stairs last year. Have attached a pic of one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We used have a lot of woodlice in the house but after various bits of building work they seem to have stopped getting in. I am not sure which particular job stopped them but apparently they tend to be where there is a bit of damp. Could you seal the little gap - even temporarily with something like sticky tape - and see does that sort the problem? Or they could be coming in through a small gap around piping for the toilet. I think you need to be blocking access rather than trying to kill them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

I got a powder which does a decent job. Think its nippon and has one for woodlice. I use it for silverfish though.

Somewhere is damp and there is a crack letting them through. For silverfish I just annoyed them so they would run away. They lead me to cracks I could place powder at and fill them in. That would prevent you finding them but probably need to reduce moisture as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

They'll find their way in through any tiny cracks or gaps around windows and doors, around pipes, even around wires fed in through walls, almost always within a foot of the ground, rarely any higher.
    They need a damp atmosphere to survive, so once inside the house they become dehydrated and die. They do no damage inside.

Outside, they live under stones, leaves, plantpots, door mats, etc. So first off, clear at least a foot of ground outside, remove stones and sweep away any debris that's visible. That should move most of them away, then seal up the gaps INSIDE the house.
    No need to kill them, just stop them living so close to the house.
    You'll probably have a few stragglers around for a while after that but if the numbers are significantly lower, then you could also seal up the gaps on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Very rare in see one in a house in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Very rare in see one in a house in my experience.

Lol, if you had ever been invaded by woodlice you would be accustomed to both live ones wandering around the bathroom and dessicated ones everywhere else. At intervals you can go round with a sweeping brush and sweep them up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wupucus

the tried and trusted method for killing them is a flame thrower - failing that gas them- you wont need to worry about them after that, however you may need to move house !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I used to have loads of them in the garden. When I cleaned up piles of leaf litter and general garden debris they vanished, as that's what they feed on so have a look around the outside of the house for any organic rubbish and clear that away.

Advertisement