Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age of Sigmar-ines

Options
  • 01-08-2015 7:19pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So what do people make of the GW changes to Warhammer?

Very disappointing imo, from the complete destruction of the old setting to these new fantasy terminator models.
    I havent looked at the new rules properly and probably never will, it's just not warhammer anymore :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

So what do people make of the GW changes to Warhammer?

Very disappointing imo, from the complete destruction of the old setting to these new fantasy terminator models.
    I havent looked at the new rules properly and probably never will, it's just not warhammer anymore :(

Completely agree. Can't even watch old battle reports anymore because what's the point? I've a cupboard full of unpainted stuff that I just can't be arsed doing now because the old game will slowly die.

Sure we could play 8th but I don't fancy supporting a company that slaps me in the face after over a decade.

But where to turn...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

But where to turn...

I'd reckomend warmachine or hordes. Thou it's more a skirmish game.
    But a great world and fun system.

No idea on what's out there on a fantasy sized army scale.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I started buying Kings of War models a few months back since they are much cheaper than GW were and while not as good as GW models the quality was still pretty good. I haven't look at their rule system yet, but I suspect with a new version coming out it's where many people will turn for larger battles, especially since most warhammer models will be compatible.

I am not sure if their setting will have the same quality fluff that warhammer had up until around the Storm of Chaos times.. but it's where I'll probably end up. It still sucks to think that all the great warhammer background is gone now, Age of Sigmar would have been alright as a separate game, alternate universe sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

I started buying Kings of War models a few months back since they are much cheaper than GW were and while not as good as GW models the quality was still pretty good.

I've picked up some of their Dwarves for a custom a warmachine merc force. They ain't bad for what they are.

MarkHall wrote: »
    I've picked up some of their Dwarves for a custom a warmachine merc force. They ain't bad for what they are.
    I think the dwarves are one of their best ranges, after the chaos dwarves. I got some skeletons, 20 models for the cost of 10 GW ones, which isnt bad at all. Models are actually correctly scaled too unlike warhammer skeletons which are nearly bigger the the humans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

they had to do something to be fair. the pool of warhammer fantasy players was getting smaller and smaller with the system as it was. I understand the reasoning behind the simplified rules, the free access to downloads, and can accept the need to diversify from the existing non-copyrightable factions such as vampires, dwarves etc, but what I don't get is the visual and stylistic alignment with warhammer 40k! theyre space marines with swords

they had to do something to be fair. the pool of warhammer fantasy players was getting smaller and smaller with the system as it was. I understand the reasoning behind the simplified rules, the free access to downloads, and can accept the need to diversify from the existing non-copyrightable factions such as vampires, dwarves etc, but what I don't get is the visual and stylistic alignment with warhammer 40k! theyre space marines with swords
    I can understand that they had to do something alright, and no matter what they did there would be a tonne of complaints, but why the need to canon destroy the entire game and fluff that has been developed over 30 years into one of the richest game backgrounds ever.. that's almost unforgivable and with GW's history of fan interactions it's not too hard to imagine it as a bit of a 'screw you guys'. They could have just stopped supporting it like they did with so many other games and focus on the AOS just as much and it probably wouldn't have got such a bad reaction.

Re the Sigmarines, either GW are so obsessed with copyright that they basically want to reduce everything to space marines (quite possible with the confirmed rumours of a Warhammer30K) or it's a contingency for AOS being a flop, well then everyone can just got themselves a new adeptus custodes terminator army :D (also notice some very ultramarine like shoulder pads in the artwork http://1d4chan.org/wiki/File:Sigmarines_VS_Khorne_Again.png)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

add to that, is the fact that the TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER game is set in the old warhammer fluff,...and would have probably drawn a few new gamers in.
    its that kind of joined up thinking makes me think that its Games workshop who design most of the public service IT systems!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Masss

Hey,

I tell you a story.

Back in 2005 I started playing 7th with my friends,I know that this makes me a relatively new player to fantasy, but none the less a player.
    We played regularly, 4 of us.
    Made a nice 8x4 table which was left in my mate's house,played into 8th,but after winds of magic come out we all started to be too busy with our lives.

Kids,wife,work and what not.
    Always played big games and sometimes it would take us whole Sunday to finish a game,and most of the time it would not be finished,
    and by the next weekend we would forget what was the situation on the table.
    I can honestly say that we have played more AoS games that all of the 7th and 8th edition.

Now, AoS comes out,I got a notification because I was a member of a Facebook group.
    I told my mates about it,and we all got back into the game,for one simple reason.

Now we can play 2-3 full games on Sunday,if not more.
    Rules are simplified,combat is simplified and when you play with 4 people you don't have to wait an hour for your turn.

I don't understand players who just threw a fit when new rules came out, just give it a shot and I bet you that you will enjoy it.
    Do not overthink the fluff,just have fun.

Masss wrote: »
    Hey,

I tell you a story.

Back in 2005 I started playing 7th with my friends,I know that this makes me a relatively new player to fantasy, but none the less a player.
    We played regularly, 4 of us.
    Made a nice 8x4 table which was left in my mate's house,played into 8th,but after winds of magic come out we all started to be too busy with our lives.

Kids,wife,work and what not.
    Always played big games and sometimes it would take us whole Sunday to finish a game,and most of the time it would not be finished,
    and by the next weekend we would forget what was the situation on the table.
    I can honestly say that we have played more AoS games that all of the 7th and 8th edition.

Now, AoS comes out,I got a notification because I was a member of a Facebook group.
    I told my mates about it,and we all got back into the game,for one simple reason.

Now we can play 2-3 full games on Sunday,if not more.
    Rules are simplified,combat is simplified and when you play with 4 people you don't have to wait an hour for your turn.

I don't understand players who just threw a fit when new rules came out, just give it a shot and I bet you that you will enjoy it.
    Do not overthink the fluff,just have fun.
    Well I'm glad you enjoy it alright, but for me and maybe a lot of others the fluff and the rules system were the reason we enjoyed it, there's plenty of other games out there that already had more simplified skirmish based rules and cool models but I never really got into them as I liked warhammer too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Ancient gamer

GW sucked the life out of WH a long time ago and have been screwing its fans with overpriced models for years. There are a wealth of more entertaining, cheaper indie wargames out ther covering history/fantasy/post apoc/sci-fi/steam punk. Broaden your horizons, check out the miniaturespage.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Starmoon

I´ve not played Age of Sigmar so no idea, but what they´ve done with warhammer fantasy is really sad :( Many things I´ve read about the new Age of Sigmar, just don´t make any sense to me :'(

Advertisement