Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Why? Wheres the need. Person asks other person for support, other person says no thanks, everyone gets on with their lives.

Balls to that. If it were private companies/corporations begging and harassing people on Shop St. to level that "charities" do it'd be clamped down on quick as. And I reckon half the defenders here would be the first in line writing a letter of outrage to the Advertiser.

If you think the likes of the lung cancer "charity" collectors outside the likes of Debenhams and Treasure Chest are well meaning, independent people looking to help their fellow man then well there's not much hope for you imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lextalionis13

c_man wrote: »
    Balls to that. If it were private companies/corporations begging and harassing people on Shop St. to level that "charities" do it'd be clamped down on quick as. And I reckon half the defenders here would be the first in line writing a letter of outrage to the Advertiser.

If you think the likes of the lung cancer "charity" collectors outside the likes of Debenhams and Treasure Chest are well meaning, independent people looking to help their fellow man then well there's not much hope for you imo.

The lads that used to be outside Treasure Chest were pure scum - they used set up directly opposite each other so you couldn't walk behind them and both would yell at you. Used see and hear of them just walking into shops spending money straight out of the collection for Big Macs and coffees too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The lads that used to be outside Treasure Chest were pure scum - they used set up directly opposite each other so you couldn't walk behind them and both would yell at you. Used see and hear of them just walking into shops spending money straight out of the collection for Big Macs and coffees too.

As someone who walks up through Edward square almost every day of the week I can't say I've ever been yelled at by those chaps or stopped from walking behind or past them.They will ask you to support but as above a simple no or ignore them works, try it sometime, might make your life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

a simple no or ignore them works, try it sometime, might make your life easier.

This.

Some people seem to have a problem saying no, and these lads can sniff it it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

I blank them usually , it's not that hard, just stare straight ahead and keep waking , once you get 5 yards from them they've already forgotten what you look like

If that doesn't work just tell them to **** off , while not being overly aggressive , that always works

• Advertisement

As someone who walks up through Edward square almost every day of the week I can't say I've ever been yelled at by those chaps or stopped from walking behind or past them.They will ask you to support but as above a simple no or ignore them works, try it sometime, might make your life easier.

You seem to be taking it very personally that other people have been harassed by chuggers - just because you haven't doesn't make everyone a liar :)

I lived in Galway for ~5 years, chuggers were there on Shop Street all the time and were always intrusive, I live abroad now in an urban area and it's the same craic with chirpy happy clappy wasters out shaking buckets for a % of the take pretending to be your best mate and being offended when you ignore them

If you hadn't clocked, there's huge money in it for "marketing agencies" that get college dropouts out doing it, last I lived in Ireland a year and a half ago we had a woman knock on the door for two minutes solid despite us ignoring her, came to the door and she shat a brick because she was afraid of dogs when mine walked out past her into the garden.

She was with Dog's Trust /facepalm

You seem to be taking it very personally that other people have been harassed by chuggers - just because you haven't doesn't make everyone a liar :)

I lived in Galway for ~5 years, chuggers were there on Shop Street all the time and were always intrusive, I live abroad now in an urban area and it's the same craic with chirpy happy clappy wasters out shaking buckets for a % of the take pretending to be your best mate and being offended when you ignore them

If you hadn't clocked, there's huge money in it for "marketing agencies" that get college dropouts out doing it, last I lived in Ireland a year and a half ago we had a woman knock on the door for two minutes solid despite us ignoring her, came to the door and she shat a brick because she was afraid of dogs when mine walked out past her into the garden.

She was with Dog's Trust /facepalm

I'm fully aware of what they do and how they make money, that's nowt to do with people whingeing about not being able to walk past them and random accusations of being shouted at by them.No personal gripe for me, just disagree with some of the more hysterical claims about tactics employed by some of them.

I'm fully aware of what they do and how they make money, that's nowt to do with people whingeing about not being able to walk past them and random accusations of being shouted at by them.No personal gripe for me, just disagree with some of the more hysterical claims about tactics employed by some of them.

I wouldn't call replying to a thread with relevant anecdotes whinging. "Random" accusations are hardly random when on-topic either, where are you getting random from? Hysterical is really an overstatement, people literally posted what their experience with the topic has been. Had a tough day or something? lol

I wouldn't call replying to a thread with relevant anecdotes whinging. "Random" accusations are hardly random when on-topic either, where are you getting random from? Hysterical is really an overstatement, people literally posted what their experience with the topic has been. Had a tough day or something? lol

Ah yes throw a lol in there to back up and add to your points. We will agree to disagree on the issue. I'm not interested in a back and forth involving three letter buzzwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I find it works to say in an earnest tone

"Tell me son/daughter, have you found Jesus"?

• Advertisement

Ah yes throw a lol in there to back up and add to your points. We will agree to disagree on the issue. I'm not interested in a back and forth involving three letter buzzwords.

I wouldn't call it a back and forth involving three letter buzzwords, considering you're the one who used "whinging", "random", and "hysterical" - I think the charges of buzzwording lie with you alone. You've conveniently decided to start trying to argue ad hominem and make out I'm the issue when I've pointed out on every count how you're just disputing other people's experiences based on "I find that hard to believe because I haven't experienced it". I'm unsubbing from the thread as well, I don't want to trigger anyone with my nasty text indicators of laughter

I wouldn't call it a back and forth involving three letter buzzwords, considering you're the one who used "whinging", "random", and "hysterical" - I think the charges of buzzwording lie with you alone. You've conveniently decided to start trying to argue ad hominem and make out I'm the issue when I've pointed out on every count how you're just disputing other people's experiences based on "I find that hard to believe because I haven't experienced it". I'm unsubbing from the thread as well, I don't want to trigger anyone with my nasty text indicators of laughter

tldr there are multitudes of chuggers in Galway, they are obnoxious and they don't always respect your ignoring them/saying no, deal with it

nuac wrote: »
    I find it works to say in an earnest tone

"Tell me son/daughter, have you found Jesus"?

Yes, that can be fun too.

But it breaks the fundamental rule: don't make eye contact, don't engage. The second you do more than say "no" and keep walking, they've gotten into your space. And that's when you'll find them obnoxious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Load of collecting for 'concern' all around this week. The dogs trust collectors seem to have a stand and generally position themselves around, how come all charities/collectors cant do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Load of collecting for 'concern' all around this week. The dogs trust collectors seem to have a stand and generally position themselves around, how come all charities/collectors cant do that?

I think concern are not a patch on the Hanley centre who usually have mega aggressive collectors preying on the weak - yes there are some people who are weak and vulnerable in society and will struggle to reject these type of intimidating collection strategies , we need to accept this and protect these people and not be so almighty about it. Just because you can get the better of these type doesn't make what they are doing okay.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/addiction-charity-nothing-short-of-criminal-says-judge-29292524.html

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FallSilently

I like to make a game of it. See the chuggers from down the street, sort-of fall into step close to another pedestrian going the same way as me and gently, subconsciously guide them towards the chugger. Bang, they get caught, I walk by unbothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd love to make some charity up and pester those chuggers with my clipboard for a full weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

collection for blind in limerick last summer, chugger ambushes me , but i politely explained i was broke and moved on, yer man shouts after me "do you not care about the blind" now pissed off i turned around and said "now that you mention it i hate the bastards driving up the cost of labradors for the rest of us" and proceeded to follow him up the street and down again from 20 mins giving out about the blind. he had no idea what to do, eventually a garda walking the street was summoned over, and yer man complained me.
    the best bit is the garda just smiled and walked off the chuger was furious. Ruining his day made me feel good about myself.
    went into supermacs for a burger before going home and the chaps on counter were laughing saing it was hilarious to give him a taste of his own medicene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

biko wrote: »
    I'd love to make some charity up and pester those chuggers with my clipboard for a full weekend.

The punishment fits the crime.

A new circle of hell.

amnesty Back on the streets with there passive aggressive tactics. Ask one of em today when they stopped me abt excessive pay off fees paid to former seniors managers. He smugly told me it was all fabrications, think he's gone home to think about his life after I pull up the data on my phone!!

• Advertisement

amnesty Back on the streets with there passive aggressive tactics. Ask one of em today when I stopped to engage with them abt excessive pay off fees paid to former seniors managers. He smugly told me it was all fabrications, think he's gone home to think about his life after I pull up the data on my phone!!
    FYP.

I managed not to be stopped by the one guy on Shop St collecting for them. Just to be clear he was smiling and asking people to stop, passive aggressive indeed.

FYP.

I managed not to be stopped by the one guy on Shop St collecting for them. Just to be clear he was smiling and asking people to stop, passive aggressive indeed.

U need to go to specsavers buddy, just back from town there's at least six of em

U need to go to specsavers buddy, just back from town there's at least six of em

Nah im good buddy, at 230pm there was one dude between BT's and Lynchs Castle. On a separate point maybe a visit to an optician may aid you in avoiding them? ;)

Nah im good buddy, at 230pm there was one dude between BT's and Lynchs Castle. On a separate point maybe a visit to an optician may aid you in avoiding them? ;)

You seem to be taking a very narrow view of the problem, as in it doesn't bother me so there is no problem.

Have a think about how it affects other people.

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    You seem to be taking a very narrow view of the problem, as in it doesn't bother me so there is no problem.

Have a think about how it affects other people.

As others have said its very easy to avoid these people, theyve no hold over you, no right to enter your personal space, if people cant deal with that then theres no hope for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

As others have said its very easy to avoid these people, theyve no hold over you, no right to enter your personal space, if people cant deal with that then theres no hope for them.

In the interests of disclosure, are you a chugger or have you done so in the past or are you affiliated with some? You are incredibly defensive of them for some reason and your posts indicate subjectivity on the matter.

And what of the people who are vulnerable, easily persuaded, these chuggers often don't disclose full facts those who they're collecting for and where people still donations actually go

And what of the people who are vulnerable, easily persuaded, these chuggers often don't disclose full facts those who they're collecting for and where people still donations actually go

Ben is not interested in these, as he said there is no hope for them so let's forget about them!

And what of the people who are vulnerable, easily persuaded

They shouldn't have left the house without a support person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 summonerm

They shouldn't have left the house without a support person.

I'm deeply sorry for off-topic, but Mrs OBumble, could you please empty your inbox so I could send you a private message?
    Once more, apologies to everyone.

Advertisement