Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help identify this tree

Options
  • 01-08-2015 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I've recently moved, and there are three of these trees in the front garden. Can someone please tell me what they are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Webster29

Second attempt at posting a half decent pic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like a plum tree?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Yep. Victoria I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

My Victoria plum fruit is generally a much darker purple? I know the fruit is still probably ripening but Victoria fruit generally doesn't go through that magenta phase.

ncur wrote: »
    My Victoria plum fruit is generally a much darker purple? I know the fruit is still probably ripening but Victoria fruit generally doesn't go through that magenta phase.

I've never seen a purple Victoria.

But then again one person's purple is another's wine or burgundy ...

It was a best guess based on availability and colour at the moment. Czar, which I'd call purple, and Opal are the other fairly common varieties.

Hard to tell from a photo I suppose, but it seems to be a plum at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

True, colour is very subjective. Totally agree it's a plum, very nice looking fruit. Must say my Victoria was a disaster this year for fruiting, very low yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Webster29

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's a bit small for a plum. That is the only fruit on three trees. Someone appeared to be trying to make a hedge out of it at some point! It's not a hedge tree and three in a tiny front garden seems mad. But I guess someone could have thought is was a good idea once upon a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Nice looking plum! I've about six plums this year. Last year was a disaster too so was hoping to have a good harvest this year but not to be. In previous years they were laden down. :mad:

Plums come in all colours and sizes. In this country they can be smallish. It also could be a type of damson, which is basically a small plum variety.

Definitely that general family anyway.

Advertisement