Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge tomato plant.. 4 tomatoes!

Options
  • 01-08-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

I got a present of a tomato plant in a small pot around May. I put it into the flower bed and soon enough I had 4 small tomatoes appearing. Happy days! Since then the tomato plant has grown like crazy! Still only 4 little tomatoes though.

Can anyone give me advice on how to get some more tomatoes and less growth? I've pruned it back and after a few days it was flying again. I suspect the soil is over fed (I put tomato feed on a few times) but not sure where to go from here.
    Its nearly 5ft tall now!

Thanks!

357060.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Once you see any fresh shoots, you have to trim or pluck them off immediately.
    When it gets to a stage where there's loads of tomatoes appearing, I pretty much trim off everything bar the stalks bearing fruit. That way the plant puts all its energy into growing the tomatoes instead of more greenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Thanks! Should I prune it right back first?

Advertisement