Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building pc r9390x help :)

Options
  • 01-08-2015 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

hi guys,I am building another gaming pc.I am getting a i54690k,r9 390x gpu 8gb. Question i have is can anyone recommend a motherbaord budget 150 euro. I will like to overclock the i5 but i want to have a motherboard that have a one click overclock in bios.Also what ye guys think of r9 390x ?Are they a good card,I will just be gaming a 1080 p. I am interested in gtx 980 4gb,but is 4gb enough considering games are demanding more and more vram

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

For 150 euro you could get a really really nice high end Motherboard, most Asus, MSI and Gigabyte mobos are extremely straight forward for OCing these days as far as I have come across.

Here are two nice ones:
    http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90572621/asus-z97-pro-gamer-gaming-mb.asp
    http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90549893/msi-z97-gaming-5.asp

The 980 is a wonderful card, I wouldn't get worried about the 4gb Vram at 1080P tbh.

At 1080P you probably could just get a 390 and not a 390x, up to you ultimately but the difference is negligible, were talking maybe 3 or 4 frames at 1080P and it's a good bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭remydegreat

wouldni5 4690k be a good choice processer,im leaning towards r9 390x,does amd have any problems with games or are they good card,thx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

wouldni5 4690k be a good choice processer,im leaning towards r9 390x,does amd have any problems with games or are they good card,thx

Always take an Intel board and CPU over AMD. They're plain and simply better across the board.

AMD does get a bit of slack on their GPU's, but it's mostly down to the higher power consumption and more heat they produce than NVidia.
    Both are great options and are generally quite equal in most games, so go with whichever you prefer the look of.

I've always favoured NVidia, but there's nothing wrong with the R9 390X card at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

hi guys,I am building another gaming pc.I am getting a i54690k,r9 390x gpu 8gb. Question i have is can anyone recommend a motherbaord budget 150 euro. I will like to overclock the i5 but i want to have a motherboard that have a one click overclock in bios.Also what ye guys think of r9 390x ?Are they a good card,I will just be gaming a 1080 p. I am interested in gtx 980 4gb,but is 4gb enough considering games are demanding more and more vram
    Also what ye guys think of r9 390x ?Are they a good card,I will just be gaming a 1080 p. I am interested in gtx 980 4gb,but is 4gb enough considering games are demanding more and more vram

Well here's some benchmarks.

7S9D0Io.png

If you think 4GB is not enough then think again. I'm still gaming at 2GB at damn near everything runs fine. Only the worst, most unoptimised games don't run well on my system without turning down the resolution. That would be The Evil Within because it's a PoS and Witcher 3 because it's got Nvidia Gameworks ebola.

8GB is going to be wasted on you gaming at 1080p... unless you plan to get 1440p, 4-5K monitor in the near future... or downsample like a crazy man.

Well here's some benchmarks.

7S9D0Io.png

If you think 4GB is not enough then think again. I'm still gaming at 2GB at damn near everything runs fine. Only the worst, most unoptimised games don't run well on my system without turning down the resolution. That would be The Evil Within because it's a PoS and Witcher 3 because it's got Nvidia Gameworks ebola.

8GB is going to be wasted on you gaming at 1080p... unless you plan to get 1440p, 4-5K monitor in the near future... or downsample like a crazy man.

do games run better on amd or nvidia?what is dowm sampling?reason i am leaning towards 390x is i want gpu to play 1080p games for at least next 2 yearsvat max settings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Down sampling is rendering a game at say 2160p but displaying it at 1080p so it looks sharper

They're about the same at 1080p, nVidia are probably a better choice due to heat and power but they perform similarly, anything higher than 1080p and AMD win out

A 290, 290X, 390, 390X or a 970 are all going to be fine for 1080p for a while yet

For the cards you mentioned, it's AMD that has better average FPS among every game except TW3 where it seems to be on par with Nvidia.
    reason i am leaning towards 390x is i want gpu to play 1080p games for at least next 2 yearsvat max settings

Ok, but the GB of the cards isn't going to effect that for most well-made games. I'm on an older 2GB card and I fully expect to play any game (that's not nvidia gameworks) that comes out in the next 4 years (or however long the current-generation consoles last) @ 1080p, albeit not max settings but the VRAM of the card is besides the issue, mostly.

Here I found another benchmark source. https://youtu.be/-BTpXQkFJMY?t=2m37s

And downsampling is rendering the game at a higher resolution than your monitor is capable of and then re-sizing it to fit the monitor. Both AMD and Nvidia offer ways of doing this natively from their drivers in their respective control panels. There are benefits like naturally-occurring anti-aliasing and sharper image. I personally never do it since it usually breaks most game's UIs and HUDs (text, lifebars etc) as well as just drop my performance. It's for people who have very strong GPUs but normal monitors. You'd definitely be able to downsample @ 1440p or 4K perhaps with either of the 2 cards you're weighing.

is the a issue with amd cards playing gamez with nvidia gameworks ? do most games run better on nvidia cards

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

There's an issue with all cards playing gameworks games :pac:

I've only had AMD cards and never found a game that would be made much better looking by an nVidia card, its a gimmick.

Neither plays games better, a 970 will beat a 290 in as many games as a 290 will beat a 970, and the 390X will beat both. You won't be hindering your build by choosing either card

is the a issue with amd cards playing gamez with nvidia gameworks ?

Yes. There's also an issue with Nvidia cards playing games with Nvidia gameworks. Basically, if a game has nvidia logos all over it, beware. It will likely perform badly on many hardware configurations.
    do most games run better on nvidia cards

I refer you again to the benchmark picture and video I linked . You can also google more comparison benchmarks between AMD and Nvidia cards.
    No

• Advertisement

thx guys,decisions decisions lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

thx guys,decisions decisions lol

Honestly it comes down to the aesthetics largely. I went with the 970 as I preferred the look to go with my case choice. I've overall had good experiences with AMD except for one bad repeated experience from an older card.

Overall, as Digital said, both are great choices and are usually par for par the same. The 290 will use more power and generate more heat, but not much.

Advertisement