Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pc build part advice

Options
  • 01-08-2015 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

hi guys ,advice needed
    1. What is your budget? [€1200,]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? 1080p gaming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes,one click overclock in motherboard bios,dont want to go messing with voltages

8. How can you pay? Visa/paypal/bank transfer

9. When are you purchasing? As soon as possible.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No help needed.

I am between gtx 970 4gb,gtx 980 4gb and r9 390x,i am leaning towards r9 as it has 8gb of vram and games will only be requiring more.Motherboard i ahd before was msi,and had a one click overclock button in bios,do all motherboard bios have this now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 4460 €180
    H97 board €80
    1tb HDD €55
    8gb RAM €55
    BitFenix case €50
    500w PSU €60
    250gb SSD €90
    R9 390X €400 (forget the price)
    Total €970

Windows 10 is €35 from reddit

Any questions ask away

Never heard of a One Click OC before this so I can't help you there, no need on the budget in any case.

4gb VRAM is plenty, even 3gb is lots for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭remydegreat

i had a msi motherboad,z77 i think,and it had a one button oc preloaded,would i need bigger psu for 390x,what ur view on amd cards v nvidia,thx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

i had a msi motherboad,z77 i think,and it had a one button oc preloaded,would i need bigger psu for 390x,what ur view on amd cards v nvidia,thx

Quite a few boards, such as the MSI Z9S Sli Krait Edition have overclock Genie built in, which do have the 1 step OC. For example it OC'd my i5 5690k from 3.5Ghz to 4.0Ghz and a system reboot set it perfectly.

Worth the price difference over just bumping the multiplier up Sonic?

As per cards, AMD 300 series are fine cards, don't produce as much heat or use as much power as their old ones, and run as fast if not faster than their nvidia equivalent, unless you go to the €500+ range

Worth the price difference over just bumping the multiplier up Sonic?

As per cards, AMD 300 series are fine cards, don't produce as much heat or use as much power as their old ones, and run as fast if not faster than their nvidia equivalent, unless you go to the €500+ range

It was worth it in my opinion. I've been out of the PC building scene for a good 10 years and haven't really done overclocking in the same time too.

Tried the OC Genie on my board and steadily bumped everything up to a reasonable 4.0Ghz and increased voltage etc too. In more CPU based games like WoW I did get a decent boost in terms of FPS and overall smoothness, about 10fps at a guess.

To an experienced overclocker, it's probably not worth it. But if you're starting off or simply like the idea of the easy but safe option to do it, then it's worth it.

Fully agreed on the 300 range of cards too, the aesthetics of them aren't for me. But otherwise very good cards.

• Advertisement

That's class, I'd like to know how it works.

You could use the board Sonics has mentioned OP, along with an i5 5690k CPU and Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 Cooler, it'd add about €170 to the price

That's class, I'd like to know how it works.

You could use the board Sonics has mentioned OP, along with an i5 5690k CPU and Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 Cooler, it'd add about €170 to the price

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/automatic-overclock-motherboard-cpu,3048.html

It's an older article, but I've read a few newer ones and all say pretty much the same.
    MSI's OC Genie is the safer option for a newer builder, but does the job nicely for an automatic option. Manually OC'ing will always be better obviously.

has any other brand got got something similar to oc genie,what board and psu should i get for i5 4690k and 390x ?

where can u get i5 5690k,all i see online is the 4690k

I had a typo, 4690k is what you want.

Get a BeQuiet or Corsair PSU, 550w is the most you'll need.

For the card, Sapphire make great AMD cards, MSI, Gigabyte and ASUS are good too

Not sure about the OC

• Advertisement

is nvidia gameworks a issue for amd cards.im between the gtx 980 4gb or r9 390x,only thing turning me of 390x is people saying gameworks is a issue for amd cards.v

As in the other thread, gameworks hamstrings nVidia cards too, it's not something I'd base my choice on

Advertisement