Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does my iPhone get much slower WiFi speed than my Macbook?

• 01-08-2015 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

My WiFi speed on my Macbook is 70mbps but on my iPhone is less than 40mbps, both tested within 2 minutes of each other.

Anyone know why this would be, or how to fix it?

Thanks.

DETAILS

Router details:

wthond.jpg

Macbook Air 2013 - Wifi Speed

4549801557.png

iPhone 5S - Wifi Speed

wu2bm9.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

iPhones have small, single stream antennas so afaik will always be slower than a Mac/PC which would be dual-stream at the minimum. I’m not really sure but I’d say 40Mps is probably about right.

Do you have a 5GHz router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

What router and what iPhone? I get a better speed on my iPhone 6+ than on my MacBook Pro.
    The 6 has 802.11ac wifi (and so does my apple time capsule router) and don't think my 2011 MacBook has that... So could be down to the router or the device capabilities. I get 120mpbs over wifi on my phone which is the max on my upc connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

iPhones have small, single stream antennas so afaik will always be slower than a Mac/PC which would be dual-stream at the minimum. I’m not really sure but I’d say 40Mps is probably about right.

Do you have a 5GHz router?
    flyguy wrote: »
    What router and what iPhone? I get a better speed on my iPhone 6+ than on my MacBook Pro.
    The 6 has 802.11ac wifi (and so does my apple time capsule router) and don't think my 2011 MacBook has that... So could be down to the router or the device capabilities. I get 120mpbs over wifi on my phone which is the max on my upc connection.

Hey,

I edited the OP to include all those details. Thanks!

That router is a PoS, I have the same one but in bridged mode to my time capsule. After I did that my wifi speeds improved by about 30%, as I wrote I now get the full speed my connection is capable of over wifi.
    Also your MacBook Air has a better wifi card than your iPhone, your MacBook Air is capable of 802.11ac and your iPhone isn't, but I don't know if that makes much of a difference as your router isn't 802.11ac afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

Just being picky, but M is mega, m is milli.
    Mbps= megabits per second; mm = millimetre

• Advertisement

JonMac wrote: »
    Just being picky, but M is mega, m is milli.
    Mbps= megabits per second; mm = millimetre

Interesting. Never knew that. Although, nobody is ever going to think that by "mbps" I meant "milli-bytes per second." :pac:

That router is a PoS, I have the same one but in bridged mode to my time capsule. After I did that my wifi speeds improved by about 30%, as I wrote I now get the full speed my connection is capable of over wifi.
    Also your MacBook Air has a better wifi card than your iPhone, your MacBook Air is capable of 802.11ac and your iPhone isn't, but I don't know if that makes much of a difference as your router isn't 802.11ac afaik.

The part in bold: :confused::confused:

:)

Thanks for the reply. I really don't need higher speeds on my iPhone anyway. I was just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

I've noticed this for a while too, I thought something is up with my iPhone 6.

I've ran speedtests on my iPhone 6 and my iPad Air 2 straight after each other and always get around 40-45mb on my iPhone 6 and on the iPad I get between 60-70mb download speeds. Upload speeds are fine though, they're the same on both devices, just a difference in download speeds.

I'm on upc 240mb line, is there any way to get the speeds on my iPhone up a bit to match what I'm getting on the iPad?

stoksyXL wrote: »

I'm on upc 240mb line, is there any way to get the speeds on my iPhone up a bit to match what I'm getting on the iPad?

Do you close all apps (with swipe up) before you do the test? Nothing else on your phone or on your wifi using the connection while you do the test? As I wrote I get 120Mbps on my iPhone over wifi so I'd say in your case it's down to the router not the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

Do you close all apps (with swipe up) before you do the test? Nothing else on your phone or on your wifi using the connection while you do the test? As I wrote I get 120Mbps on my iPhone over wifi so I'd say in your case it's down to the router not the phone.

All apps are closed on my phone, apart from the ookla speedtest app that I'm using to do the test.

My router is the cisco epc3925 from upc, is there anything that could be slowing down the wifi connection router side? Any settings that need to be adjusted?

Advertisement