Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Maths

• 01-08-2015 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I'm currently going into 6th year and am wondering if honours maths is for me. Truth be told, I'm one of those students who puts very little work in and gets around 60-70 percent average in most tests, and this worked fine for me for the last five years but I know that it will have to change this year.

For my fifth year summer tests, I got 65%+ across the board, except in maths where I got 28%. I was actually doing alright in HL maths all year, getting over 50% in the majority of my tests, but this result along with the accompanying note form my teacher saying that OL recommended has really disheartened me.

I actually kind of enjoy maths, and know that if I put in the work that I could get a good mark but I'm just wondering if I've left it too late. I know it was stupid of me to expect to coast through maths of all subjects in the summer exams but sadly it's too late for me to change that result.

I'm just wondering if anyone with experience thinks I should drop to OL or really knuckle down and commit to HL (which would be my preferred option, but understandably I'm meeting opposition from my parents and more than likely my teacher when I get back to school.)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

I was kinda like you too - maths wasn't my forte but I still enjoyed it. I found it tough going most of the time but still I was determined to do it for the LC. My advice would be to do it for the mocks and see how it goes and take it from there. They are a good indicator and will give you an insight into the actual exams in June. A lot of teachers play similar tactics in fifth year as they try to get students to drop down more or less to protect themselves in the event of a student failing. Get yourself 2 sets of exam papers - one for class and keep one yourself - even if you do one question a night it all adds up. Also have a look at the marking grids on examinations.ie - a basic attempt could earn you 4/10 or sometimes 5. I know its not easy but maybe if you ask your teacher for some tips on how to improve and revise a chapter every weekend you will certainly excel :) Best of luck with your decision :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 chris241111

I said the same thing about my results,I said I didn't do any work (which I didn't)
    I could do better if I studied more,I could do more etc. and all the clicheés however the honest truth is the best you can do is what you have already done in your last test, so if you completely dossed all year , your attitude towards work will not change straightaway.
    Having said that though with maths if you understand it, I think you can do it. You seem like you are willing to work this year so , I think if you change your attitude towards work you will definitely be able for higher level. I don't want to sound mean but I used to say the same things as you ,I will put in more work next year etc. so just start working and it should be easy

Advertisement