Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a camper in Germany 2015

Options
  • 01-08-2015 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

After finally deciding on a layout I want for our camper I went to my local mechanic who is a keen campervan user. He told me to go to Germany to get the camper he says I'll save thousands. How on earth do I start the process? I'm a total newbie. I've looked at forums here but they all seem a bit old.

What websites do I start to look at. I think I'd want to be getting it from a dealer and have the deal done subject to inspection before I go over.
    I'm seriously thinking of just buying at home as I can at least bring it to someone I trust for an inspection first. Also just really excited about going on our 1st trip and won't be able to go to Germany till after the summer.
    Any other tips.
    thanks
    ww

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

I'm sorry that I can't offer much help on the German side of things but the VRT is such an unknown in relation to campers that it makes it very difficult to import. You don't have any way of knowing the costs involved in the same way as purchasing a car. I

can't imagine there being many changes from the old threads on here in regards to purchasing in Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

I'm sorry that I can't offer much help on the German side of things but the VRT is such an unknown in relation to campers that it makes it very difficult to import. You don't have any way of knowing the costs involved in the same way as purchasing a car. I

can't imagine there being many changes from the old threads on here in regards to purchasing in Germany.
    It used to be a good idea before the VRT regulations changed a few years ago. Before then anything over 3000 kg had a nominal VRT. Now all vans are liable to VRT at 13.5% of a notional figure of its open market sale value here in Ireland. Arbitrary at best...., We bought our first van in Hamburg and had a holiday driving it home in 2006 but sadly these days are gone. I think there will be better value to be found at home at the moment and no uncertainty about what it will cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 woodenwonder

Thanks. Think I'll just buy at home. Someone else suggested Wilson's auction rooms. Anyone know when that's on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Thanks. Think I'll just buy at home. Someone else suggested Wilson's auction rooms. Anyone know when that's on?
    I'd prefer to buy from a reputable dealer ( we did with the second van - new- ) and have some backup if/when something goes wrong. It will. Cheap doesn't always represent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Utter madness to buy a motorhome at an auction. There's such a drastic shortage of saleable motorhomes in Ireland, (and indeed, across Europe) that nothing appears at the auction unless it's dodgy, damp, repaired or other unwanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 woodenwonder

Think my mechanic might have given me a bum steer on the Germany/Auction thing!! Might go for private sale as the dealers don't seem to have a big selection! Wish me luck. Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

I had all kinds of similar advice about saving thousands by buying in Germany and a lot of comments when I didn't.
    The Camper I bought here from a reputable dealer near Borrisokane developed a fault, after about 3 years of my ownership, in the bodywork and I thought I was looking at a substantial repair bill. The dealer stood over the problem and did a fantastic job in fixing it.
    I don't know what a German dealer would have done but I do know I'd be well out of pocket getting it to Germany for repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I imported my van from japan but i used an agent in the uk and gor really lucky and it wad an old van so want spening more than 8k all in.

If you really know what you are looking for and what to watch out for you might not save thousands but you'd get a better van or in my case exactly what you were looking for.

The vrt is the problem they will rip you off by 20% but you can appeal.

I always look at done deal and over 50% of the vans are junk lots of tired old motor homes newly converted ex commercial van that could have been driven like they were racing cars unfinished projects. ... Depending on how much you want to spend I'd go to a dealer or have a look at joining one of the clubs hereand ask if any members are selling their van.

What are you after

Advertisement