Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 week old can't keep bottle down

Options
  • 01-08-2015 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi all

My 10 week old baby keeps getting sick during a feed and then again about 1 hour when she is finished.its not excessive but is a bit of a pain at this stage.it started about 2 weeks ago.
    We decided to change from aptimel to cow and gate but no change yet(only been 1 day)

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    Hi all

My 10 week old baby keeps getting sick during a feed and then again about 1 hour when she is finished.its not excessive but is a bit of a pain at this stage.it started about 2 weeks ago.
    We decided to change from aptimel to cow and gate but no change yet(only been 1 day)

Any advice?

How much are you feeding her? Are you giving it all in 1 go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Talk to the phn /doc. Could be reflux? Or wind? The teat might be too fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My daughter was a terrible puker when she was a baby. Was sick after every bottle but once we were expecting it it was easier! Always had extra sheets to cover ourselves etc.
    We tried different brands and infacol, some helped a small bit but never cured it. The infacol was because doctor thought she might have had wind that was causing the sickness. She eventually grew out of it.

We were worried about the amounts she was getting sick, especially when she was very small, and someone gave us a tip to through an ounce of milk onto the floor/counter to see how much it is, and then we realized while it looked like she was getting up most of the bottle it was actually only a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Talk to the phn /doc. Could be reflux? Or wind? The teat might be too fast?

We are using the flow no2 teats which I thought she might want the bigger teats as she was sucking hard for food.she has no problem winding and would but me to shame in a contest.hopefully its not reflux but might make an appointment with doc anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Talk to the doc. Is baba uncomfortable? We have silent reflux (throws up his nose and gags rather then projectile vomiting) but gaviscon sorted it right out when I eventually realised that it wasn't normal and got myself to a doc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Silly socks advice is great there: you'd be surprised how big a small amount looks.

If they are generally a happy puker and keep gaining weight it's nothing to worry about. It's where if they stop gaining or are screaming with every puke for hours Id worry. My little girl has reflux and literally there was puke everywhere. Muslins are great! Try not to worry give your phn a ring too maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Ours had reflux - never bothered her though, she was a happy refluxer. We used SMA staydown - it was literally the only formula at the time on sale here for reflux, all the rest were for colic and constipation. I see now that Aptamil has its own reflux version and I think I've seen a few other brands about. Maybe one of those would suit baby better. Only don't go swapping formula frequently - it can take a while for them to get used to the new milk. We also did the gaviscon for a while but it didn't work, only swapping the formula made the big difference. (You can't put gaviscon in that formula though, spent ages trying to syringe in pure gaviscon that smells awful to our one when she was a baby, nightmare!)

Plus one on what cyning says about weight and crying, also on the muslins ;-)

Oh actually one more thing, at our 6 week check, paediatrician recommended tommee tippee bottles or nuk. He reckoned the others had teats that were too hard (altho I'd say Avent have softened theirs with the new ones, can't remember what they're called now). He reckoned Dr Browns were overrated and I know there are tons of bits to those bottles to clean - having said that a lot of people swear by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

My little one never gets upset when getting sick and def isn't losing any weight.I'll bring her to the doc in a couple of days but I know my doc will just say its normal for babies to get sick

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My little one never gets upset when getting sick and def isn't losing any weight.I'll bring her to the doc in a couple of days but I know my doc will just say its normal for babies to get sick

I might also suggest giving her a couple of ounces at a time, and winding several times during a bottle, rather than all at once.
    We had a silent refluxer who GULPED her food, so that helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Posseting is quite normal in a baby. Unless the baby is uncomfortable or the vomit is a different consistency to her milk (like there is mucous or bile etc in it) then I probably wouldn't worry too much. Frequent winding (every two ounces or so) can be a great help. Also, have lots and lots of muslins handy! Changing formula too often isn't recommended either.

I had a refluxer that litteraly puked day and night, he'd puke during his feed, after his feed, during his sleep, 5 minutes before his next feed. It was a nightmare. He's grown out of it now. He was a screamer too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

My son posseted non-stop and it went on until he was 9-10 months (as he crawled army-style until then so there was pressure on his belly). It is a pain and I was constantly covered in puke but it never bothered him and he thrived. I've no advice really as nothing I did helped - he was just a "pukey baby". I just wanted to let you know it can be normal although it is massive pain. Get a throw for the sofa that's my top tip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

My baby will be 10 weeks old tomorrow and she is a silent refluxer! She has only vomited 3 times so far and twice was in the hospital. We have her on losec and gaviscon and the two together are working a treat but we have to wind her after every ounce or so. The odd time she'll spit up a little mouthful of milk but that's all it is, there's no mucous or bile in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Silent reflux here and funnily enough frequent winding made her worse. We only winded half way through and it really helped. It's all about finding what suits your baby. Good luck!

Advertisement