Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas not the problem So let's share!!

Options
  • 01-08-2015 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

There are some people in business who believe that ideas are not the problem to starting off in business that action is the problem. So here are some of the business ideas I think might work but are just not for me:

Hops importation for the growing craft beer sector
    Decent maternity cloths shop online
    Some sort of education website that teaches parents how to teach their children extra things at home.
    importing milking machines.
    Climbing wall in Cork

Another idea is what I call donedeal depot. Where you set up a shop where people can view items for sale on done deal etc. You take a commission. And also get the opportunity to get free stock for people who do not return with in specified period. Your just a broker really. Sometimes I just find meeting people to sell things on donedeal a lot of hassle. I haven't worked out numbers might be a totally bananas idea!!

This is all I have anyone else care to share? If I think of anything else I'll post later I have a list in a diary somewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

There are some people in business who believe that ideas are not the problem to starting off in business that action is the problem. For me I'm hopeless at ideas great at action. So here are some of the business ideas I think might work but are just not for me:

Hops importation for the growing craft beer sector
    Decent maternity cloths shop online
    Some sort of education website that teaches parents how to teach their children extra things at home.
    importing milking machines.
    Climbing wall in Cork

This is all I have anyone else care to share?

Nice try..... Have loads of ideas myself as most do but highly doubtful anyone would give up their "babies" for anyone to replicate

• Registered Users Posts: 40 woodenwonder

Nice try..... Have loads of ideas myself as most do but highly doubtful anyone would give up their "babies" for anyone to replicate

It's not a try!! Do you really have loads of original ideas? Most businesses can be replicated without affecting the original? Is there really that many businesses that have to be top secret! Even Facebook wasn't an original idea just an improvement of others.

Hope one of your 'babies' is a success!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

It's not a try!! Do you really have loads of original ideas? Most businesses can be replicated without affecting the original? Is there really that many businesses that have to be top secret! Even Facebook wasn't an original idea just an improvement of others.

Hope one of your 'babies' is a success!

I genuinely have about ten good ideas.... Two hashed out into solid business plans and the rest in my "bible" notebook. A few things stop me going about actually pursuing them. Lack of experience at launching a product etc. Fear of losing everything if it doesn't work out. Lack of capital. Etc......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I genuinely have about ten good ideas.... Two hashed out into solid business plans and the rest in my "bible" notebook. A few things stop me going about actually pursuing them. Lack of experience at launching a product etc. Fear of losing everything if it doesn't work out. Lack of capital. Etc......

Off to Dragons Den with ya! :D

I would love to see a company set up to license school books and have them as as software apps on pads, so students wouldn't be lugging around heavy school bags, potentially injuring themselves too. Think of all the trees we could save if all those bloody books were available on a pad. A reasonable user license fee structure to be made available depending on the books required and for the period of time required, or a one off purchase per book app. Would be sooo handy. Anyone?

I know it's been done on very small scales, but this should be a national thing.

• Advertisement

Why don't you go into business with someone, you just keep a share? 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing. I know its your idea but if you're never going to put it into action they are kind of useless. Good luck. You could try crowd funding, enterprise board??

School books are being used on iPads on a regular basis great idea but I think you've missed the boat!!

School books are being used on iPads on a regular basis great idea but I think you've missed the boat!!

As I mentioned, I know it's being done on a small scale. The canoe has been missed, but the ship has far from sailed on this. If a company were get bulk licenses from the publishers and get a contract with the DOE or, even on a slighty smaller scale, starting with....educate together, or the fingal schools etc, this would be huge.

iPads could even be rented and put into those monster cases for the protection they would need. It would take significant investment on any decent scale, but would be well worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

Well done on the post. We need more people like yourself coming up with ideas. As I know it is a tough and lonely job starting a new business. However keeping positive and looking at new things is great:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

There was a guy, and his name escapes me now, but he's excellent and passed on the angel rounds of Uber. He's retired and is a genuinely successful guy but has publicly said it was the best lesson ever as it prepares him for the next one. He won't sign an NDA and if you have an idea, you pitch it in public.

Ever heard of MagicTaxi, now known as Curb? Probably not. It was around well before Uber but just wasn't action in the same way. Execution every thing. A couple of years ago, I sat down and wrote the bones of Hailo. Still have the source code in a repository from ~2009. When we got wind that the former Skype CEO was backing Hailo, we gracefully moved to the side to pursue other projects. Its all about execution and cash behind you, doesn't matter your idea or if a million other people know it. The issue is if someone who a million more than you does ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Why don't you go into business with someone, you just keep a share? 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.
    An idea alone is not worth 50% of a business. 2% if you're lucky.

• Advertisement

An idea alone is not worth 50% of a business. 2% if you're lucky.

You're right but was just making the point. As I say most ideas are not original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

You're right but was just making the point. As I say most ideas are not original.
    I agree with both your points, but wanted to underline that ideas, in themselves, are really not worth a lot, because it is a very common misconception here.

Advertisement