Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plastic bags of Dog poo hanging from trees/fences!

• 01-08-2015 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭

Went walking near a lake near me today. I saw at least 15 plastic bags with dog poo hanging around the place. Some people pick up the dog poo (which is great) and then hang it in the nearest place. WTF?????? I have seen it in several places. What is wrong with these people?
    25it112.jpg
    2008vac.jpg
    2dl7pc8.jpg
    2i6z981.jpg
    mwehjn.jpg
    sewsh5.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

bizarre
    Anarchists maybe, a new cult?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

They do that around my estate as well. Absolutely manky. To be honest, I preferred if they left their dogs sh!t all over the pavement instead of doing this - at least it will wash away eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    They do that around my estate as well. Absolutely manky. To be honest, I preferred if they left their dogs sh!t all over the pavement instead of doing this - at least it will wash away eventually.

Dog poo will wash away/decompose in a few days. Plastic bags will take a couple of hundreds years. 100% correct, leave it there on the ground if you are going to hang it from a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EscherehcsE

I heard someone on the newstalk the other day say that it was Ok to do it because councils don't supply bins! I was livid to say the least, my local playgroup for kids ask parents to bring home nappies in a bag as they don't provide bins. Everyone accepts this and is just delighted that a venue is being provided for kids to play.

I'm following a facebook page for our local area and there's a rumour circulating that the Park's groundkeepers say it's ok to leave bags behind as they'll pick them up. Now our park has turned into 'dogturdpark' and I can't bring my kids there anymore. People from wealthier areas now rock up in their rangerovers to let the dogs out without leads. The park is so big that there's plenty of opportunities to dump the bags without being seen. I was in St Anne's park in Clontarf the other day and it's the same story, there's a spot that the path goes under a little bridge and the bags are piled up in the recesses on both sides. I wouldn't mind but that park has a designated fenced off area that dogs are allowed to run free and do whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against walking your dog (we had a neighbour who kept one in the backyard all day and it went nuts from the lack of exercise) but at this stage I'm sick of the ignorance. I've had it out with a few owners but I've officially given up (contacting local politicians and the council has also been tried). It's sad really as our local park has gotten a reputation as a great place to 'bring your dogs for a walk'... bags hanging off every tree and dumped around the base of trees too.

Caution: Dogs playing, children must be kept on a leash.

Sorry, rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Who came up with the idea of picking up dog sh1t, it's fairly stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

If it's anything like my local park I think it's often because there's hardly any bins around and the longer you hold on to poo the more it smells. I have a great tolerance for the smell of dog poo (as both my every day life and job include it!) but I know plenty of average joe dog owners who struggle with the smell. Not justifying hanging poo bags around because that's utterly ridiculous, but that's the only realistic reason I can come up with!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Sam Kade wrote: »

Why?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I think responsible dog owners came up with the idea. I suppose it's better however if we just leave it on the footpaths or tied to fences ffs.

VonVix wrote: »
    Why?
    Because it will decompose after a few days, same as it always has. Putting it in plastic bags just creates more unnecessary rubbish.

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    I think responsible dog owners came up with the idea. I suppose it's better however if we just leave it on the footpaths or tied to fences ffs.
    How would you tie dog sh1t to a fence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I hate that! Luckily in the place I walk most often has a bin at the entrance so I know there's always somewhere to put it and even then I see poo bags every now and then. Though I must say, it's the railway walk between Crosshaven and Carrigaline and there are so few dog poos (I see more bags than poos) I'm assuming it must be cleaned once a week or something because I've never seen such a clean walk. But some times I go to the local forest (and it's one of those Coillte forests) and there are no bins there at all so any poo bags have to be brought home and put in my own bin. I'm probably lucky because my girl only likes to poo in her own garden so it's really not much of a problem for me unless she's really desperate.

I was astounded when I went up north though. I'm originally from there but we only owned a dog there for maybe a year or two before we left and I was in school so didn't really think about this kind of thing. We went up to visit a friend and while I was there I went for a walk in Stormont with my dog and there were not only bins every hundred yards or so, there were also poo bags. It was almost embarrassing how amazing I found this. Apparently it's fairly normal up there. Bins actually got emptied there, how many times have I precariously balanced a poo bag in the only bin near my house when I've been walking in the winter time.

I hate people who leave the bags behind but I get it, Ireland as a whole doesn't seem to be set up for dog owners. And while (some) of us will go out of our way to clean up after our dogs and put the bags in our cars to drive home and dispose of them in our own bins, most will not. I feel like the council shouldn't just fine people for not picking up poo but should also provide a way of disposing of it because frankly most people are lazy and need a bin to be right there. And we can say again and again that if they made the commitment to owning a dog they should be willing to clean up it's mess but the fact of the matter is, most people won't and it's not like they would be the only people to use the bins but at least if they are there, they don't have an excuse.

Because I bloody well hate the fact that I have to watch every where I walk in case there is a poo. It's terrible for kids who are out playing in a local park to either step or fall on crap left by owners who are too bloody lazy to clean up after their dog. There are so many reasons why you should pick up dog poo. To me, owning a dog is a privilege, not a right, and you should minimize the effect that your ownership of this dog has on the rest of society, like barking or poos. It's not their fault you decided to own a dog and they should not have to suffer for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Ever wonder why dog turds turn white in colour after a while? It's because I paint them. I'm sick.

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Because I bloody well hate the fact that I have to watch every where I walk in case there is a poo. It's terrible for kids who are out playing in a local park to either step or fall on crap left by owners who are too bloody lazy to clean up after their dog. There are so many reasons why you should pick up dog poo. To me, owning a dog is a privilege, not a right, and you should minimize the effect that your ownership of this dog has on the rest of society, like barking or poos. It's not their fault you decided to own a dog and they should not have to suffer for it
    So the best solution is to preserve it in a plastic bag :rolleyes:

Yeah, and put it in a bin out of everyone else's way. If you had something better to put it in, good for you. Plastic is just a convenient way to move a poo from ground to bin. If I'm house training a puppy, I actually pick it up with toilet paper and put it in the toilet but that's not really something I can do on a walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

If this was after hours I'd say it was a sh1t thing to do.

Since its not. I don't agree with what they are doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

You can get bio degradable bags, and for the record dog poo can take up to a year to decompose due to their diet, unlike wild animal faeces which only takes a few days. Bag & bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

sugarman wrote: »
    Theres a gate to the entrance to the park where I have the pleasure to walk through every morning to well over 30+ said bags (and growing).

WTF is wrong with people. Walk 20ft the other direction and theres a bin too!

Digusting . which park is this. why can they just bring it home and put in own bin.

sugarman wrote: »
    Theres a gate to the entrance to the park where I have the pleasure to walk through every morning to well over 30+ said bags (and growing).

WTF is wrong with people. Walk 20ft the other direction and theres a bin too!

When I was growing up if I threw rubbish on the ground my father would give me a clip across the ear. Different mentality today. Feckin pure laziness not putting it in a bin where it's only 20ft away. The thing that is most annoying is people think they are being good citizens by picking the dog poo up and then dumping the bag..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Magnate wrote: »
    .. for the record dog poo can take up to a year to decompose ...

Really?
    Anything to back that up?

Don't get me wrong ...I do think that poo in public places should be picked up and disposed of properly, but when it comes to my own observations, poo that hasn't been picked up disappears in a matter of days (at least in grass it does)

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    Really?

Don't get me wrong ...I do think that poo in public places should be picked up and disposed of properly, but when it comes to my own observations, poo that hasn't been picked up disappears in a matter of days (at least in grass it does)

Really? I've not noticed that. My girl does 99% of her poos in the garden. The only time she doesn't is when I bring her for a walk right after dinner and she basically has no choice but to poo during her walk. And the poos might spread a bit if there has been really heavy rainful (and I mean torrential) but generally all that happens if I leave it a bit longer is they go a funny white colour.

I would like to point out that if this conversation was with anyone who didn't own dogs, they would be completely disgusted at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

peasant wrote: »
    Really?

Take your pick.

http://blog.bestofdog.com/dog-poop-facts/
    1. Dog poop does not decompose as fast as you think—if ever.

Diet

Wild coyotes, foxes, wolves–basically choose any wild animal not closely related to domestic dogs, and their waste is 100% biodegradable. Wild animal-poop, especially that of the carnivorous persuasion, is the result of a high-protein and calcium rich diet. There are no preservatives, chemicals, or grain. It’s a laughing matter to compare the diets of a wild animal and commercialized dog diet. Wild-poop, decomposes in a matter of days. Flies, beetles, and other insects love making work of the natural waste—the bacterias in soil also love to pitch in.

Dog poop which is the result of a cheap diet (in most cases), can sometimes hold its consistency and smell for close to a year before it finally begins to break down. In some locations and instances, dog poop does not decompose at all. I’ve tested this. I have dog poop samples going one-year strong. They are just now starting to shrivel. Dogs on preservative rich dog food (usually the cheap stuff) produce waste that is also rich in preservatives. Since most preservatives are not absorbed by the body, preservatives end up being part of the stewy hominy. Preservative rich poop; how about that for science?

The only instance where dog poop decomposes to a dust is when dogs are fed a RAW diet. RAW diets are the exact natural diets a wild predator would consume. Natural diets like these also help produce less waste and a milder smell.

http://poobgone.biz/pet-waste-facts/
    The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) confirms that hookworms, ringworms, tapeworms and Salmonella can be spread by contact with infected dog waste. When dog poop is left to decay, after a long time (it can take over one year for dog waste to decompose) the poop may no longer be visible, but the eggs from these parasites can linger for years in the soil – leaving your family and your pets vulnerable to serious infection.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/14/doody-calls-the-importanc_n_898121.html
    "Unlike wild-animal feces, dog poop does not biodegrade quickly," the Post reported last week.

Side note, thought this was pretty funny :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I hate that. It doesn't happen often where I live now but the last place I lived it was rampant. Kids used to throw them at cars all the time too.

The park where I walk my dog now has a few bins, not many though. I know the field around the corner from me does too but there was war there recently over dogs so I just walk to tge park now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Let's just say that our back yard after 10 years of 3 dogs and 99% is still 100% grass and green ..not brown or white :D

We do pick up some, but by no means all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

That's weird for sure. The collective of individuals of this nature not only hang it to the railings, but they tie it to the railings making it hard to take off without the bag ripping and thus sh!t all over the person that has to clean it/remove it. All these folk have to do is wrap it in a bag as they did and put it in the bin at least, or take it home with them as it's their sh!te and dispose of it there.

I'll tell you this much... I woke up at 7am on the 21st of july 2015 and I felt that I woke up in a parallel universe when on that day I read the news and communicated with folk for a chat but realised something was seriously wrong. Everything is backwards with folk these days, weird. What causes people to do the strangest things ? Is more of a percentage of the population slowly going insane ? what is the cause ? can they be cured from doing idiotic things like this ?

I don't know. All I do know is that common sense has taken a back-seat with folk, or their brain cannot understand what the most basic thing to do is. Even with the internet of which explains everything to a person... they still don't understand the basics of common sense.

You might ask the question as to who the fcuk does he think he is thinking he knows it all. Well yes, I do have common sense, and I use it wisely. Get the TV and dump it in the skip, that will be a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Carry a small shove with you and bury the doggie poppies there and then.
    or carry a bottle of sand and cover poopies in sand,
    maybe they should these out free
    ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410BbeJFBrL._SX300_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I see these hanging bags in the Phoenix Park all the time. Absolutely vile!

The plastic bags invariably rip when the person ties the plastic bag to a fence/post/tree. Practically all the ones I see on the ground are ripped. Since the poo is partially covered from the elements any pathogens will last even longer. It defeats the purpose of the whole exercise. I suppose the idiots that do this "think" they are doing the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jamesccp

They leave poo bags tied to the fence in the dog park in griffen lucan. There are bins at each entrance literally 1m out side. As far as smell goes when carrying the bag for I while I now use scented nappy sacks :-) . I do agree that there is a lack of bins around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Possibly the wheelchair user who wasn't mad keen on getting dog sh1t on his hands and clothes.

Or the buggy owner who wasn't mad keen on getting dog sh1t on their hall carpet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Went walking near a lake near me today. I saw at least 15 plastic bags with dog poo hanging around the place. Some people pick up the dog poo (which is great) and then hang it in the nearest place. WTF?????? I have seen it in several places. What is wrong with these people?

Trying to get maggots for fishing in the lake? I've seen it done with dead animals or food scraps before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Dog poo will wash away/decompose in a few days. Plastic bags will take a couple of hundreds years. 100% correct, leave it there on the ground if you are going to hang it from a tree.

Nonesense! (Based on personal experience - and particxularly one local residential road that is filthy with dog dirt)

RainyDay wrote: »
    Possibly the wheelchair user who wasn't mad keen on getting dog sh1t on his hands and clothes.

Or the buggy owner who wasn't mad keen on getting dog sh1t on their hall carpet.

Or the users of public parks tired of being smeared with dog faeces

Or the parents concerned about the possibility of children catching diseases. (what's that one that can cause blindness - tichonosys?)

Nonesense! (Based on personal experience - and particxularly one local residential road that is filthy with dog dirt)
    In a plastic bag it lasts much longer. plastic bag will last 100+ years.

Or the parents concerned about the possibility of children catching diseases. (what's that one that can cause blindness - tichonosys?)
    Toxoxcaris canis (Tichonosys) is extremely rare though still a remote risk to people especially children. Do you think the dog poo hanging in a plastic bag is better than dog poo lying on the ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

This winds me up no end because the parents who are complaining of their kids catching diseases from dog poo and putting signs up in our park turn a blind eye to the sh1tty wipes and nappies strewn all over the place and let their kids go to the loo in the bushes - like their human poo doesn't carry diseases!? I then have the pleasure of washing said poo off my dog! :mad: Also I'd rather it left in a bag then left in the grass for me to walk in - usually when I'm picking up after one of my two!

• Advertisement

In a plastic bag it lasts much longer. plastic bag will last 100+ years.

Toxoxcaris canis (Tichonosys) is extremely rare though still a remote risk to people especially children. Do you think the dog poo hanging in a plastic bag is better than dog poo lying on the ground?

As you are well aware I was replying to your nonesensical comment that "Dog poo will wash away/decompose in a few days".

Thanks for update on canine parasite diseases. You seem well informed on the matter yet oddly complacent about the dog filth left around by dog owners.

tk123 wrote: »
    This winds me up no end because the parents who are complaining of their kids catching diseases from dog poo and putting signs up in our park turn a blind eye to the sh1tty wipes and nappies strewn all over the place and let their kids go to the loo in the bushes - like their human poo doesn't carry diseases!? I then have the pleasure of washing said poo off my dog! :mad: Also I'd rather it left in a bag then left in the grass for me to walk in - usually when I'm picking up after one of my two!

I'm happy to condemn filthy litter louts of any persuasion - parents or dog owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

I'm happy to condemn filthy litter louts of any persuasion - parents or dog owners.

One of the dangers of discussions in this this sort of thread is that it's always 'either or'. The reality is that many dog owners are both parents and dog owners, often walking children and dog together. I have quite often seen parents not picking up after their dog whilst with their children.

snoman wrote: »
    One of the dangers of discussions in this this sort of thread is that it's always 'either or'. The reality is that many dog owners are both parents and dog owners, often walking children and dog together. I have quite often seen parents not picking up after their dog whilst with their children.

Why not though - that's like me only picking up after one of my dogs. I've often left a lead down, drawn an X in the sand at one poo so I can't find it when I come back while I race to pick up another!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Why not though - that's like me only picking up after one of my dogs. I've often left a lead down, drawn an X in the sand at one poo so I can't find it when I come back while I race to pick up another!

I absolutely agree with you!! I'm exactly the same, I get a bit fixated about picking up and am pretty peed off if I can't find one.

My point was meant to be that all dog owners have a responsibility to pick up, including those with children. Dog owners are also, parents, farmers. It's not the thing that chiefly defines them.

• Advertisement

snoman wrote: »
    I'm exactly the same, I get a bit fixated about picking up and am pretty peed off if I can't find one.

haha same here!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

The reason in most cases is simply the lack of bins in this country! Take Deer Park in mount merrion for example. I regularly walk there which is a 30/40 min walk from my house. I pass one bin on my way to the park (and that's going one of two routes - the other route has no bins at all!). The entire park itself has two rubbish bins in it! One at the main entrance which the last couple of times I was there was full to the brim. And another one in the kids playground, which obviously I cant go into with my two dogs! So what is a dog walker to do?

Unfortunately, I have to walk home 40 mins with a bag of nasty poo bouncing in my hand the entire time! I cannot tell you how many times I have wanted to add it to the pile of bags by one of the entrances. The last time I drove to the park I sneakily put it into someones black bin because I was not bringing a bag of **** into my car!

More bins in supply and this wouldn't be an issue in my opinion.

Ashbx wrote: »

Nah some people are just plain lazy. I see a guy every morning who passes a bin outside the park, lets his dogs poo on the ground, covers it with a leaf and then passes 4 bins inside the park!! The same with the tool who's letting their dog crap on my road - across the road from a bin! I have a backpack with mesh side pockets and put the poos in that if we're on a trek somewhere without many bins.

Nah some people are just plain lazy. I see a guy every morning who passes a bin outside the park, lets his dogs poo on the ground, covers it with a leaf and then passes 4 bins inside the park!! The same with the tool who's letting their dog crap on my road - across the road from a bin! I have a backpack with mesh side pockets and put the poos in that if we're on a trek somewhere without many bins.

Covers with a leaf? That's even worse! At least if he didn't hide it someone would have a chance to see it and avoid it! Ok yes, some people will still be lazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The reason in most cases is simply the lack of bins in this country! Take Deer Park in mount merrion for example. I regularly walk there which is a 30/40 min walk from my house. I pass one bin on my way to the park (and that's going one of two routes - the other route has no bins at all!). The entire park itself has two rubbish bins in it! One at the main entrance which the last couple of times I was there was full to the brim. And another one in the kids playground, which obviously I cant go into with my two dogs! So what is a dog walker to do?

Unfortunately, I have to walk home 40 mins with a bag of nasty poo bouncing in my hand the entire time! I cannot tell you how many times I have wanted to add it to the pile of bags by one of the entrances. The last time I drove to the park I sneakily put it into someones black bin because I was not bringing a bag of **** into my car!

The more bins we provide (and pay for), the more people who will be sneaking their domestic waste into the public bins to avoid waste charges.

Honestly, I'm not sure it's up to the State to be funding bins primarily for dog walkers.

The more bins we provide (and pay for), the more people who will be sneaking their domestic waste into the public bins to avoid waste charges.

Honestly, I'm not sure it's up to the State to be funding bins primarily for dog walkers.

Oh it wouldn't primarily be for dog walkers (in that case, id be asking for one in the dog park). I have many times been caught holding an empty bottle in my hands because of the lack of bins so im sure the bins would be used by all....especially in public parks.

I do understand the issue with domestic dumping alright. Perhaps smaller openings for the bins would deter people from doing this. And no, this isn't a suggestion, just an observation! :)

x2
    No it's not. It's a dog owners responsibilty. What about Wicklows National park. Should it be covered in bins so people can dispose of their dog poo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maybe they think the dog poo fairy will come and take them away ...

qybec9.jpg

(Seen in Cornwall on holiday last year!)

^^^ Gross that's another gripe of mine lol - clear bags with the poo on the display in all it's glory!! >_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Oh it wouldn't primarily be for dog walkers (in that case, id be asking for one in the dog park). I have many times been caught holding an empty bottle in my hands because of the lack of bins so im sure the bins would be used by all....especially in public parks.

I do understand the issue with domestic dumping alright. Perhaps smaller openings for the bins would deter people from doing this. And no, this isn't a suggestion, just an observation! :)

All our local bins get stuffed to the brim over the weekend, when they're not emptied. And it's generally my neighbours, putting domestic waste into them! I have lost count of people I know from the area (a lot of old ladies, but also people in their 40s/50s) who just come along with a small bag, look around, and then stuff it into the bin. It drives me mad, because then other people with chocolate wrappers or whatever also try and stick it into the same bin, and as there's no room, it blows out all over the street. DCC now have a policy of taking away 'problem bins', which means the issue will get worse. And all because of people avoiding their bin charges.

• Advertisement
Advertisement