Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunk man at front door, putting hand in letterbox at 4:30am

Options
  • 01-08-2015 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

This morning at 4:30am I woke up to the sound of someone pushing in against my front door.
    I looked out the port-hole and seen what appeared to be a drunk man leaning sideways against the door.
    I turned on the lights to scare him off and he put his hand in through the letterbox.
    Then I heard him mutter 'tomorrow' and he walked away.

I called the Gardai and they got here very fast, in about five minutes.
    While the Gards were here outside my house a car sped away with no lights on.
    The Gard said 'could they be in that car?'

From what I seen it was most likely just a random drunk, without any clue what he was doing.
    On the other hand I'm concerned it could be something more dangerous going on.
    Does anybody know of this kind of thing going on lately around Waterford?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

AlphaBoard wrote: »
    This morning at 4:30am I woke up to the sound of someone pushing in against my front door.
    I looked out the port-hole and seen what appeared to be a drunk man leaning sideways against the door.
    I turned on the lights to scare him off and he put his hand in through the letterbox.
    Then I heard him mutter 'tomorrow' and he walked away.

While the Gards were here outside my house a car sped away with no lights on.
    The Gard said 'could they be in that car?'

From what I seen it was most likely just a random drunk, without any clue what he was doing.
    On the other hand I'm concerned it could be something more dangerous going on.

Thanks

Why did Gardai not follow the car with no lights ?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭achiman

No never

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 AlphaBoard

I thought the same myself afterwards.
    There were two Gards, the young one said that about the car
    The older Gard didnt seem to think it was significant.
    He just said 'well they have no lights on anyway'
    Im not sure if the car was parked nearby or just driving past as it came across from the side.

Im 95% sure it was just a random occurance but I'm prepared for the worst tonight anyway.
    Ill say this if anyone puts there hand in my letterbox later on, its probably going to end badly for them.

Haha, I know, I think they were going around trying to get into the Guinness book of records or something.
    When I called them I said, we wont see them for at least a couple of hours.
    I couldnt believe it when they showed up, i even said it to them, he just said 'we were in the area'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Your location says Dublin....

• Advertisement

Yeah I need to change that, I moved down here recently

What general area are you living in?

Dont really want to say Harry Palmr because Im a bit paranoid right now.
    Im a bit out from the city centre, not a rough area, mainly families around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Have a mate stay over if your on your own op.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He could have opened the letter box to see could he see any car keys. A pole with a hook on it grabs the keys, and he drives of with your car. This is a nationwide thing, not just waterford.

Just don't leave any keys hanging close to the letterbox and you'll be grand.

• Advertisement

donkeyoaty Yeah, Im not on my own now, thanks for that mate. What do u think about it? Does it sound dodgey to you?

Dont really want to say Harry Palmr because Im a bit paranoid right now.
    Im a bit out from the city centre, not a rough area, mainly families around.

Fair enough (its not me btw!), I reckon this guy was out of it, thought he was at the right place for something or other cos your house looks just like every other home on the road.

Leave the light on in your front room tonight :)

yeah the_syco, I think he put his hand in just to be a prick.
    Didnt look like he was trying to reach in, it was more like intimidation because I turned on the lights.
    He took it straight back out and then left. Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

If someone stuck their hand through my letterbox at 4:30am I'd likely prove Loughnane's accusation about us Kilkennymen, hurls and other people's fingers correct :D.

Very Bored, I hear ya
    It all happened very fast last night and I regret that I didnt have something to break his fingers with.
    Tonight Im a bit more prepared, haha, he may well lose them altogether to be honest with ya
    If he comes back again, Ill know its intentional and ill be taking it very seriously this time

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Sproai weekend on in Waterford. Probably a random drunk guy came to wrong door.

crazy_kenny I think youre right and that makes me feel better, cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Ah I'd say it's nothing just some drunken gob****e but better safe.

Yeah, thanks donkeyoaty, I have people here, a couple of weapons ready and the Gardai on speed dial.
    Im the last person ye want to break into tonight, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

I'd say it was some lad coming home drunk from the pub and he thought your house was his girlfriend's. He likely felt amorous after 15 pints of Guinness but when he realised the door was locked and he was out of luck he stuck his hand through to wave goodbye. I'd say by "tomorrow" he meant he was looking forward to getting what he was hoping for the next night, namely tonight, but is now too sick from the drink and won't be back to bother ya lol.

• Advertisement

a couple of weapons ready
    Don't start anything you can't finish, so have a shovel, a map, and a full tank of gas ready.

Very_Bored, haha I read a story online about a guy who stuck his penis through someones letterbox.
    You'd want to be fecking drunk jesus, one swipe of a kitchen knife and its all over

It is realy stupid though, I could easily chop his fingers off tonight, I mean it
    If he's just some poor idiot he's taking a major risk

Honestly. im prepared to realy hurt anyone who does that again
    mainly because im not 100% sure its that innocent

im not going to be a victim, ill seriously try to hurt him if he starts kicking my door or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Alphaboard are you maybe slightly overreacting and a bit paranoid.

I am feeling paranoid, yeah
    It was unsettling but I didnt overreact last night because I thought it was just a drunk guy
    My point realy now is if he comes back then its less likely to be accidental.
    Of course I know its probably just an anoyying thing that wont happen again.
    However Id be afraid of aggrivated burglary or something.
    Im also not just thinking about myself Im protecting other people here as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Quite possibly a random happening. When I read your post It reminded me of myself last christmas eve and I ended up in Drogheda for a party but It was a gated apartment community complex and I had to leave late at night and couldn't get out of the place. I was absolutely pissed drunk but a happy drunk.

I wobbled around trying to find a way out and go to the bus station to get back to dublin, so I ended up knocking into a random house, I saw no bell so I stuck my hand onto the letterbox flayingly wobbling back and forward and then a man opened the door and said... can I help you, I just said drunkingly that I cannot find the way out of this gated apartment complex, so he politely told me the directions and I found my way out just about.

Like I said, it could very well be a drunk that was so drunk he lost his sense of coordination. I wouldn't worry about it, it's just one of those things that happen sometimes. And when you said that the guy putting his hand into the letterbox and saying that he'll be back tomorrow could be just an hallucination from being soo drunk.

I remember walking into the north lotts in O'Connell street years ago it was a news-spread paper business and asked them for a chicken kebab with chips, they politely forwarded me to abrakababra unfortunately.

Don't worry about that happening, it's rare but it does happen so forget all about it, just a drunk trying to find his way home whatever dream-state he was on at the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Very_Bored, haha I read a story online about a guy who stuck his penis through someones letterbox.
    You'd want to be fecking drunk jesus, one swipe of a kitchen knife and its all over

It is realy stupid though, I could easily chop his fingers off tonight, I mean it
    If he's just some poor idiot he's taking a major risk

Honestly. im prepared to realy hurt anyone who does that again
    mainly because im not 100% sure its that innocent

im not going to be a victim, ill seriously try to hurt him if he starts kicking my door or something

I'd say he careful what you write online, just in case

Yeah, you're right, thanks

Thanks mate, helped to put things in perspective

You'd get jail time for that, and would never be able to travel abroad.
    My point realy now is if he comes back then its less likely to be accidental.
    When you're drunk, logic doesn't come into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

This happened us here in Dublin years ago. Random drunk banging on the door, roaring through the letterbox demanding to be let in.

Called the Gardaí, they were here in ridiculously quick time, rang back asking for description and so on and hauled some lad off. Never heard anything back.

Advertisement