Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Best Year For Cinema in Decades?

• 02-08-2015 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Best Year for Cinema?? or atleast for Exploration in different directions for Cinema

I felt the blockbuster movies took a completely refreshing approach last year compared to the last 10 years. Probably due to pressure on the industry to change its boring recycling of ideas that i felt took place before last year.

Just look at the imbd list

you had

Guardians of the Galaxy, Interstellar, Birdman, Whiplash, Fury, The Grand Budepest Hotel, Captain America, the Theory of everything, Boyhood etc...

Alot of those films had quite unique approaches, i mean the Grand Budpest was always going to be unique as it was a Wes Anderson film.

Boyhood was an amazing Project in itself.

psychologically you had Whiplash and Fury which i found were very intense

And then Birdman was just in a League of its own.

But from the typical blockbusters, i felt interstellar and Gaurdians of the Galaxy really mixed it up for what youd usually expect from those kinds of films.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

God I thought you meant 2015- it's been very lack lustre so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I really wouldn't mark up Guardians of the Galaxy as some work as amazing originality or innovation, it's still a very conservative Marvel formula movie through and through. The only major difference is that the setting is space and the lead characters a little wackier, but formally it's the same stuff again.

I agree with your sentiment though and would go as far as saying that this decade has been far better than the 00s so far. Hell there's a good handful of films I'd happily put in my top 100 of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

2007 was pretty decent.

No Country For Old Men
    Atonement
    Gone Baby Gone
    La Vie En Rose
    The Diving Bell and The Butterfly
    Michael Clayton
    American Gangster
    Juno
    Zodiac
    The Bourne Ultimatum
    Eastern Promises
    In The Valley of Elah
    Into The Wild

All the above films are ones I would consider to be top class myself and there are quite a few others I left out from 2007 that others would rate highly as well.For example I left out There will Be Blood because I just didn't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

thought 2012 was probably the best for me, big at the box office you had avengers, the dark knight rises, skyfall and the hunger games, all solid blockbusters,

thought there was a great selection of non hype films, like looper, safety not guaranteed, chronicle and ruby sparks, you could go on with the likes of rust and bone and end of watch, but there was, like 2014, a lot of different ideas that worked,

even the failures i enjoyed, the likes of battleship and john carter, and even though its not really liked much prometheus, i actually loved, all solid action films, some great ideas amongst them,

then you had the likes of argo, silver linings playbook and django unchained just picking up award after award, amongst others,

2014 was good alright, i was very disappointed in 2013, an ok output, but it was a disappointment after the 2012 output, 2014 was good alright though,

also the twilight films ended, and if thats not a cause to celebrate then what is :P:D:D

Advertisement