Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farrier Prices (Meath)

• 02-08-2015 9:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hi
    The Farrier that comes to my yard , charged 60 euro , for to change horse shoes.

He has just put the price up to 65 euro. The view by the majority of the horse owners is that is very expensive.

Just wondered what is the general view? Is there any farrier round Meath that charges around 60 or indeed cheaper.

Paddy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

That's what I pay at the moment for a reset with road nails for the farrier who comes to the yard. I'm happy to pay that because the farrier is very good and I know he'll do a good job.
    Are you happy with the job the farrier does? It might be expensive, but it's more expensive to fix their feet if someone does a bad job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

That's about standard if its a good job, I pay €70 for a new set, hot shod. €60/65 for resets. (Although its presently €120/set with front pads :( )

Of course lots of substandard work being done for the same prices. I dare say you will find a good farrier doing good work for less then €60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I pay €65 for a full set incl. stud holes and road pins, €60 for a standard set, from a Master Farrier. I firmly believe in the 'No Foot, No Horse' mantra so a good farrier is worth his weight in gold to me.

Why are people not getting discounts in livery yards?

On my brother's yard where he keeps his own, where my mum used to maintain a small livery, two successive farriers have never objected to discounts, as long as there was a minimum of 5-6 horses requiring work.

On top of a discount, often a missing shoe would be free, or he wouldn't charge for trimming ponies.

Anytime I speak to people who keep their horses in a livery they often say that they pay full fare for everything, regardless of whether there are plenty of animals to be done. Always seemed odd to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Why are people not getting discounts in livery yards?

On my brother's yard where he keeps his own, where my mum used to maintain a small livery, two successive farriers have never objected to discounts, as long as there was a minimum of 5-6 horses requiring work.

On top of a discount, often a missing shoe would be free, or he wouldn't charge for trimming ponies.

Anytime I speak to people who keep their horses in a livery they often say that they pay full fare for everything, regardless of whether there are plenty of animals to be done. Always seemed odd to me.

Agree with you 100 per cent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Whatever about stuff like physios etc for having discounts for extra horses, I think the farrier and the dentist are two who are worth the money given how important they are, especially when you're happy with the job they make of it. A crappy farrier would cripple a horse but a good farrier can find and correct problems before they arise. No farrier is obviously a disaster. Maybe it's just me personally but I'd have no problem with not haggling with a farrier I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

Hi
    The Farrier that comes to my yard , charged 60 euro , for to change horse shoes.

He has just put the price up to 65 euro. The view by the majority of the horse owners is that is very expensive.

Just wondered what is the general view? Is there any farrier round Meath that charges around 60 or indeed cheaper.

Paddy.

Why is it expensive?

sup_dude wrote: »
    Whatever about stuff like physios etc for having discounts for extra horses, I think the farrier and the dentist are two who are worth the money given how important they are, especially when you're happy with the job they make of it. A crappy farrier would cripple a horse but a good farrier can find and correct problems before they arise. No farrier is obviously a disaster. Maybe it's just me personally but I'd have no problem with not haggling with a farrier I want.
    10 horses in livery are no more likely to be ruined by such a deal than 10 horses under single ownership in a private yard.

I can't understand why livery yards don't seem to operate some arrangement like private yards. Surely the whole point of putting your horse in livery is you want to save money by pooling resources. I understand that people want the best for their pets but this is a [erfectly acceptable business practice in all private yards that I've known personally, or worked on.

Advertisement