Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Employer. Where to start?

Options
  • 02-08-2015 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I have a therapy practice and need some guidance (or more of a step by step guide) on hiring a secretary/pa. I usually have help from people I know for short periods of time, but now I want to grow my business and I don't know where to start with employment. I know plenty of people are happily paid under the table, but I want to do it properly and it just seems like a mine field to me. I can only offer 2, or 3 days part time (5-6 hours a day) days per week at present and I already have someone to start work on a €10p/h basis.

I would really appreciate a step by step here, as the revenue site, while full of information, just confuses my already tired brain. To start;

*If I am paying lets say €150 (15 hours), then what am I actually going to be paying (employers prsi and all that) and what will the employee end up paying?

*Do I need, or should I use some payroll software, like SAGE, or similar and what needs to be on a payslip? My payslips were always on carbon paper when I was employed.

TBH, I am at a loss here as to where to start. I plan to engage with an accountant. Would an accountant be a good person to help with this?

I appreciate any help offered and I also assume a zero hours contract would be best, although I don't really know what this is either.

Advertisement