Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piking in the morning

Options
  • 02-08-2015 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Thinking of doing something useful with my time tomorrow, wondering if piking in the morning during summer is any bit productive?

Was thinking of throwing a deadbait in the water and spinning (if weeds permit...). Maybe starting at 8 in the morning?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

If you really wanted to get the best of the pike fishing during these months I'd try and get out as early as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

If you really wanted to get the best of the pike fishing during these months I'd try and get out as early as possible

Sound, how would an 8AM start sound? Earlier even? I was looking to start this early anyway so I could avoid the walkers etc. on the trail, plus I can bring the dog too :)

We there's no golden rule as such. Usually the only pike fishing I do during the summer is a deadbait rod out while I'm course fishing, which I begin first thing in the morning. I've found first light to around 6 in the morning to be most productive, IMO

We there's no golden rule as such. Usually the only pike fishing I do during the summer is a deadbait rod out while I'm course fishing, which I begin first thing in the morning. I've found first light to around 6 in the morning to be most productive, IMO

That's a bit early for me :P I wouldn't be completely wasting my time starting at 8 though would I? I know there's pike where I'm going, I just need a bit of luck coaxing them out :P

No not at all, some venues fish best at certain times than others, if you get to know the place you'll often see some patterns, all the best with it. During the colder months we always seem to have most success between 9-11 in the morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

A new lake I was tryin out, the first day between 9 am an noon we caught 2 pike. The following week it was mid afternoon by time we had one on so it really can change! Good presentation of a dead bait matching the bait fish of the lake can help but if their not feeding, unless ya drop the bait on the pikes nose their not feeding!

gumbo1 wrote: »
    A new lake I was tryin out, the first day between 9 am an noon we caught 2 pike. The following week it was mid afternoon by time we had one on so it really can change! Good presentation of a dead bait matching the bait fish of the lake can help but if their not feeding, unless ya drop the bait on the pikes nose their not feeding!

I have some mackerel (I got a few bites of that last time I tried it here, no takes though).

I can probably catch a roach on worm/maggots there too if I have to.

Advertisement