Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave calculation question

Options
  • 02-08-2015 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I recently started a job last week of June and have a question regarding annual leave calculation.

I work a 40 hour week and am wondering how many statutory days off I'm allowed until the end of the year.

According to my contract the leave year my employer uses is from January to December.

It is my understanding that calculations should be pro rata in this case (as does my contract, although it is worded awkwardly as it was drafted by a non native english speaker) but my employer is being salty and is saying for the first year of the contract I need to accrue 1 day off a month as opposed to a pro rata calculation being used. So basically the employer is saying I need to accrue 1 day a month and the maximum I can accrue over the first year of the contract [july to end of june] is 12 days (as opposed to the statutory 20 days/4 weeks under legislation)

I want to get the most accurate info regarding my statutory entitlements and put it in front of my employer and suggest we deal with leave sensibly on that basis.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cleopatra11

LeaveQuery wrote: »
    I recently started a job last week of June and have a question regarding annual leave calculation.

I work a 40 hour week and am wondering how many statutory days off I'm allowed until the end of the year.

According to my contract the leave year my employer uses is from January to December.

It is my understanding that calculations should be pro rata in this case (as does my contract, although it is worded awkwardly as it was drafted by a non native english speaker) but my employer is being salty and is saying for the first year of the contract I need to accrue 1 day off a month as opposed to a pro rata calculation being used. So basically the employer is saying I need to accrue 1 day a month and the maximum I can accrue over the first year of the contract [july to end of june] is 12 days (as opposed to the statutory 20 days/4 weeks under legislation)

I want to get the most accurate info regarding my statutory entitlements and put it in front of my employer and suggest we deal with leave sensibly on that basis.

July to December you are entitled to 10 days. Entitlement is 1.66 days per month.

Check out citizens information. All statutory entitlements are laid out in a clear manner.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

July to December you are entitled to 10 days. Entitlement is 1.66 days per month.

Check out citizens information. All statutory entitlements are laid out in a clear manner.

Agreed ten days is what you are due, no idea where you think you are entitled to 20

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Stheno wrote: »
    Agreed ten days is what you are due, no idea where you think you are entitled to 20

Sorry if this was confusing, ten days was what I was telling my employer I was statutory entitled to until the end of the year. My employer was arguing that I am only entitled to 6 and 12 over the term of the year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

LeaveQuery wrote: »
    Sorry if this was confusing, ten days was what I was telling my employer I was statutory entitled to until the end of the year. My employer was arguing that I am only entitled to 6 and 12 over the term of the year contract.

It wasn't confusing, your employer is trying to deny you leave that you are entitled to by statute. They obviously can't do this if you're working full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your employer may not be as familiar as they should be with employment laws here.

Print this out for them, and highlight the relevant parts:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement