Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This cat is either a stray or neglected - advice please

• 02-08-2015 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

For the past four years a female cat has been frequenting our house for little visits. We named her Schroedinger as when she wasn't around we never knew if she was alive or dead or both. She has often been found sleeping in our garden and even in our porch waiting for us to let her in.

There are indications that she is a stray but there are also indications she has a home.

- She is very social and calm around people. Loves cuddling. She is not feral or wild.
    - Her coat is well maintained. No fleas or bald spots or matting.
    - She is well behaved. She has never peed or pooped in the house.

but,
    - She has an eye infection that has persisted for four years without any sign of improvement
    - She has signs of old injury on her ears and mouth
    - SHE HAS ALMOST NO TEETH and her gums appear in a bad way
    - She is often waiting to come into our house

The behaviour indicates she does, or at least at some point, had a home. The condition of her face and teeth indicate severe neglect on her owners part if this is true.

I need help with the legality surrounding taking her to the vet myself. I am concerned for her well being whether or not she has owners. Would a vet know who she is? What if she actually has owners, can I report them to a welfare society and have the cat taken off them? What if I can't afford any treatment she needs and she's a stray? Tomorrow's a bank holiday - are any vets even open?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Ring the vets at least and explain the situation to them.
    We have a feral cat also that is not sociable but she was not looking
    in good shape so I called the vets and they sent someone to trap her.
    They neutered and vaccinated her and returned in a few days.
    It cost €30 which I thought was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

Id bring here to the vet cos Id say she doesn't have anyone looking out for her anymore, maybe at some point in the past but not now..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Vet can scan for a chip but chances are she's not chipped; as to treatment the vet will treat her simply because she's in need of treatment no matter who's cat it is. Most likely it's going to be antibiotics and depending on the reason for her teeth problem. Also ask for a FIV/FeLV test to be done if they don't bring it up and if possible bring three days of poop samples in a glass jar (this is to check for worms). Cost should not be anything to insane for a first visit; depending on the vet of course but I'd expect it to be below 100 EUR but call the vet in advance and ask for an estimate and describe the symptoms.

Advertisement