Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer dead

Options
  • 02-08-2015 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Hello, I recently moved house and when i set up my computer after the trip it no longer turns on. It was working fine the day of the move and didnt receive any knocks or bangs during transit.
    The power supply is working fine if i short it and the fans light up but not if it is connected to the motherboard directly.
    This is the build
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78029881

Im wondering if anyone has any solutions and if not can recommend a board that will support the hardware. All advice appreciated!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Do you get a post screen?
    Like the screen of text or image you get when you turn it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

There is no power getting to the motherboard, it dosent turn on at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I know this is kinda obvious but did you make sure all the connections on power supply and then on motherboard are on connected correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Yeah I have gone through them all and even changed the small battery on the motherboard. Can motherboards just die like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What size is the 7870? Potentially could be damage to the PCIE socket due to weight.

Unless it was surged when connected in the new gaff the chances are something moved in transit. Take everything out of the case and set it up on a cardboard box on your table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As the computer has VGA out, when you took out the CMOS battery and put it in again, it may have defaulted back to the onboard graphics, so it'd be an idea to plug your monitor into them, and boot with either of those connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

the_syco wrote: »
    As the computer has VGA out, when you took out the CMOS battery and put it in again, it may have defaulted back to the onboard graphics, so it'd be an idea to plug your monitor into them, and boot with either of those connections.

Wouldnt cause the symptoms he posted, she'd still POST.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

No power at all? No fan? No LED?

This may seem silly, but...Have you checked the plug sockets? Plug something else in to the wall, see if it turns on.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭AntDub

No power at all? No fan? No LED?

This may seem silly, but...Have you checked the plug sockets? Plug something else in to the wall, see if it turns on.

He mentioned the below on his 1st post so doubt it's that.
    "The power supply is working fine if i short it and the fans light up but not if it is connected to the motherboard directly".
    ED E wrote: »
    Take everything out of the case and set it up on a cardboard box on your table.
    I'd go with the above for now, you never know a screw might have come loose and made it's way under the board or something stupid like that.
    If it still doesn't post, remove all drives,GPU and leave RAM in and see if it posts, treat it as though it's a new build and trouble shoot accordingly.

Where are you by the way? I've a few parts here if you're around D22 that you can use to test and figure out what's not working.

Advertisement