Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Encarta

• 02-08-2015 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here ever own this encyclopaedia on CD-ROM?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

We borrowed it from school. I expect it was expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah, encarta 95 came with the PC, the auld gateway 2000, I still have the tower casing of it with different bits inside.

I remember they kept bragging about how many gazillion phone books worth of text could be stored on these magical cds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I loved encarta so much. I sometimes try and find copies on the net. Used to love listen to sound clips of animal noises, like rainforest frogs. Thought it was so exotic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

All hail Mindmaze!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

After getting pretty much the exact same text handed up from half the class, an outright ban on using these for school projects was brought in in my school at one point, as it was too easy to copy/paste from them.

It did help if you had a more obscure option - I had a "New Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia" that nobody else in the school seemed to have :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Had it myself, Encarta pretty much wiped out Encyclopedia of Brittanica and then in more modern times Wikipedia wiped out Encarta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Can anyone remember the exact name of this disk?

It may or may not have been Encarta, but I do remember 'Essentials' was in the name and it came out 1997/98/99. It was less of an encyclopaedia and more of an atlas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

There was also a thing called family portrait where you could do a "family portrait" and it would show a clip of the city and a little bit about a typical family, there was also a thing where you could see clips of pictures and music of the countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

Did anyone else's copy of Encarta include articles from the future? I remember that my version in 1997/98 had articles on the 911 attacks, Hurrican Katrina, the Indonesian tsunami, and the insectoid invasion of 2022.

Advertisement