Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Router to Extreme

• 02-08-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Question for you - I have always used a Mac router. I guess now I am wondering why. I can connect to UPC wirelessly no problem but since I'm a minion of mac products I bought an extreme a long time ago and have used it ever since. I'm guess I'm wondering what I need it for? Is it easier to connect to other mac products? Airplay?

Would appreciate any comments. Thanks

I have a UPC: TC7200

and

I have an airport Extreme 7.6.4
    Airport Extreme: 7.6.4
    Connect using: DCHP
    Network Mode: Create a Wireless Network
    Router Mode: Off (Bridge Mode)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Same as above although I bought it mainly for easy backups (have the time capsule). The latest model has 802.11ac which you probably won't find in most routers provided by your internet provider. It's gives up to 3 times faster wifi than routers without it and better range.
    Of course you need a relatively new device (like iPhone 6) which also has 802.11ac to make most use of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

flyguy wrote: »
    Same as above although I bought it mainly for easy backups (have the time capsule). The latest model has 802.11ac which you probably won't find in most routers provided by your internet provider. It's gives up to 3 times faster wifi than routers without it and better range.
    Of course you need a relatively new device (like iPhone 6) which also has 802.11ac to make most use of it.

Brilliant - thanks lads. Knew there was probably a reason. Speed test of 250MB yesterday. Delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Sorry for the thread resurrection but there are lots of reasons for using AirPort Extreme if you are a Mac user. I have a 240MB connection with a TC 7200 router which gave a wireless speed test of 3-4MB down and about 3 up. When I switched to an AirPort Extreme I instantly had 99 down and 30 up.
    Standard routers assign DHCPin the 192. range, Apple devices prefer 10. so connectivity is better and AirPlay works seamlessly. Plug a USB hard drive into it and any Mac in the house will back up to it every hour. Chuck your laptop in the river, buy a new one, sign in with your Apple ID and everything is restored where it was.

Advertisement