Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke Detectors v Heat Detectors

Options
  • 02-08-2015 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

No matter what - my cooking sets of the smoke/heat detectors in the kitchen. If we put on the cooker fan, then I set off the smoke/heat detector in the utility room (the duct for the cooker goes through the utility and passing by the detector). Sometimes - the iron or steam from the downstairs shower (also beside the utility) causes the detector to go off.

I guess what I am asking is - could I have heat detectors rather than a smoke detector? And is that what might be setting it off? If so, how do you tell them apart.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Are they ionisation smoke detectors by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Are they ionisation smoke detectors by any chance?

Thanks for reply. How do I tell that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It might say on them. Otherwise is there a model number?

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It might say on them. Otherwise is there a model number?

Pictures attached. Hard to see but will have a better look now on your advice and will get back to you. Thanks.

If they are ionisation what does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You'd want a rate of rise heat detector in the kitchen. About five times less responsive than a standard smoke. Not nearly as good but should be combined with smoke detectors in other areas of the home, hall main living areas top of landing etc all smokes.

The heat detector really just detects a fire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Yeah you can swap them out but as Stoner says the heat detector just detects heat. Id put a heat detector by the hob and a smoke detector further away so it wont sound so easily when cooking. Id keep the rest of the house covered by smoke detectors.

Stoner wrote: »
    You'd want a rate of rise heat detector in the kitchen. About five times less responsive than a standard smoke. Not nearly as good but should be combined with smoke detectors in other areas of the home, hall main living areas top of landing etc all smokes.

The heat detector really just detects a fire.

Very slow to get back to you guys about this. Thanks for your help. Finally got round to seeing what model of smoke alarm/heat detector we have (after months of swearing every time we had a fry).

So we have an ionising smoke alarm: http://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/docs/SDION_manual.pdf

In kitchen and utility - these are the two that go off when we cook always.

The same smoke alarms are in the hall, landing, and sitting room. Should I change to a heat alarm rather than smoke alarm. will they be less responsive but still let me know when there's a fire.

Thanks.

Advertisement